Home

Level Layout

TheAlbaniac

One of the things i loved most about Jedi Knight was the way levels were done. They were HUGE and quite non-linear and they had their share of puzzles.

Elite Force, on the other hand, has small(er), cramped and very scripted levels.

Since Jedi Knight II is made by Raven AND it uses the (modified) Quake 3 engine, i was wondering: does anyone have an idea as to what the levels will be like?

Can we expect levels that feel like Jedi Knight? Or will they be more like Elite Force? How have Raven's other games been? Is that any indication? Can I expect puzzles like JK's?

I seem to remember from older preview that about 60 percent of levels in JK2 will be indoor based while those remaining 40 percent will show us awesome outdoor environments we have been waiting for. If done well, those huge levels will balance nicely whole gameplay, so that you don't always feel like you were walking through endless corridors and halls in some distant imperial base. We have enough time for that when playing through fan made levels, you know? ;)

Hmmm...I'm not really sure you can apply the term non-linear to JK's levels. Yes, they were huge...but you were still forced to follow usually a single path to reach an objective. The size did allow you a bit more freedom of movement, which was great.

A truly non-linear level would allow you to complete it via multiple paths...using different tactics. Deus Ex is a fairly good example of allowing more non-linearity in levels...but you still have to get from point A to point B and achieve objective C. It's just that instead of just using path X, you could choose path Y or path Z. These kinds of choices do help in terms of increasing the replay value of the SP game.

Based on the screenshots (and some of the video footage) I've seen, I'd have to say they've done a very good job of trying to recreate the expansiveness...and the all-important vertical aspect...of JK's levels. As long as there is a good mix between wide open and confined spaces, and lots of secrets to uncover, I'm sure I'm going to enjoy exploring those levels as much as I did those in the original JK. :)

I too have a fond place in my heart for JK's levels. In fact, Jedi Knight is probably my overall favorite game. No other game has found its way back on to my hard drive after reformats and upgrades over the past four years like Jedi Knight. I have a good feeling JK2 will continue this trend.

Edit: w00t this is my 50th post. sweet. Not that any of you guys care... ;)

Archived