Home

Disappear when you die?

Darth_Lando

Gee, I don't beleive that some people thought they had the final, definitive answer on this!

The actual mechanics of disappearing into the Force will be, to some extent, examined in future films, as some have said.

What a lot of you may not know is that disappearing into the Force is NOT a common trait! In fact, the three people who do it in the original films are the ONLY people to do so!

It's a completely new trick tied into the plot of the films. That's why Obi-Wan says to Vader 'Strike me down and I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine'.

It is, in many ways, Obi-Wan's 'secret weapon'

So you shouldn't ask why did Qui-Gon not disappear- because Jedi do not, as a rule, diappear when killed! The question is why DID the three in the original films disappear?

Well, the three in the originals if you believe the website, anyway. And as Anakin appeared as a ghost afterwards the idea he disappeared in his suit seems likely.

Two people disappeared. Vader did not, yet he still appeared as a spirit. I know that most of his body is mechanical, if I'm not misinformed. But, when he died with his mask off he did not disappear. I heard an argument that this technique was a special thing that Yoda taught Obi-Wan. That's why both of them disappeared, and nobody else, so far.

Originally posted by Neonix

becuase how could Anakin anchor himsel at Leia in the end of RotJ he wasn't there and he didn't know where she was either.

So i think that theory goes kapoo!

If I understand correctly he didn't anchor himself to Leia which is why she couldn't see him at the ewok celebration at the end of ROTJ. I don't think its a matter of conscious anchoring, its more of Obi-Wan had more to tell Luke so he needed to be able to communicate with him somehow. I don't know, who does?

Originally posted by dazilla

Two people disappeared. Vader did not, yet he still appeared as a spirit.

. . . Ok . . . I'll post this again.

Taken from StarWars.com

As he lay dying, Vader ceased to be. Anakin Skywalker returned. He asked his son to remove the cumbersome, fearsome mask that had concealed his face for decades. His mask and life support removed, Anakin looked upon Luke for the first and last time. He then died, his body disappearing into the light side of the Force. Luke burned the dark armor that had encased Anakin's crippled body in a quiet funeral pyre on the forest moon of Endor that night.

Well, they all do disappear! Vader did, they all did, Luke is only burning Vader's life support suit and mask... I think it's because they are powerful and magical, but if you read the Star Wars books, Dorsk 81 (when dead) doesn't disappear...

ive never thought of it this way, but consider this...jedi only dissappear because they have FULFILLED THEIR PURPOSE

think about it. obi-wan knew his sacrifice had allowed luke and leia to escape the death star. yoda had trained luke and seen him return from battle with vader, effectively making him a jedi. both their destinies were fulfilled and they could thus proceed to that weird place where everythin is transparent ;)

qui-gon on the other hand haddent defeated darth maul, and this fact is shown by his body remaining and not dissapearing

it all makes strange sense now......:eek:

Hmmm perhaps I may be reading too much into this but let me perhaps shed a new theory:

We know how Annikan is thought by Qui Gon to be "the one to bring balance to the force" but of course he becomes Darth Vader and his son Luke is the one to bring the Empire down and Darth Vader dies. So one would think Annikan is out of the picture.

But could it be that episodes 7-9 have to do with the "bringing of balance to the force" and the spirit of Annikan Skywalker has something to do with it? After all the Star Wars story really doesn't belong to Luke Skywalker.. it belongs to Annikan Skywalker.

It is hard to say since the meaning of why some Jedi disappear hasn't been disclosed.

But I am sure I am way off. :D

whoa, that was NOT my fault. hehehe about the triple posting...the forums went down RIGHT as i clicked that, and i couldn't tell if they were down, and sometimes my net messes up and i gotta click twice for the 'webpage opened' or something like that....I'll delete those right away.

btw, i think vader disappeared cause 'he fulfilled the prophecy and brought balance to the force'.

But could it be that episodes 7-9 have to do with the "bringing of balance to the force" and the spirit of Annikan Skywalker has something to do with it? After all the Star Wars story really doesn't belong to Luke Skywalker.. it belongs to Annikan Skywalker.

Actually, Star Wars tells the story of Skywalker family, but of course Anakin seems to be center character even though we don't see these adventures from his point of view. I remember Lucas saying that episodes 7-9 had nothing to do with Skywalkers or at least Luke was not going to be in those; R2-D2 and C-3PO were only returning characters. I guess we'll never know, because Lucas said that these six episodes are enough for him and I agree with him: after they have been finished and we see all of them on DVD, they tell the story of rise and fall of the Empire and how "family" Skywalker travelled through those decades. How would you still continue that story(forget the books)?

Now, back to actual topic. Because we haven't seen AotC or Episode III yet, we don't know for sure were Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin only ones, who knew this "trick". It might have been "secret" that Yoda keeped with him over all those 800 years he trained Jedi and perhaps revealed it only to all Jedi Coucil members and to Obi-Wan, who passed it on to Anakin. I mean, when all those Jedis will die eventually, we might see few of them disappearing and appearing as a ghost to give advice; I have an image in my mind where Mace Windu appears as a ghost to Yoda and warns him. It's important "little" part of the saga, because without that knowledge Obi-Wan wouldn't have never appeared to Luke and adviced him to go Dagobah and meet Yoda. Jedi traditions would have died completely without it.

No, there is no canonical way of explaining it; it happening in EU games is an error.

If it had ever happened in history before then Anakin would have been told of it in his training. If any of the Council knew it, Vader would have seen them disappear when killed.

This IS a specific plot thing related to the three Jedi who die in the original films. It happens to no-one else, barring some massive approaching plot reveal that is kept secret from Anakin. And it has not yet been explained.

Lots of Jedi will die in the next film and NONE of them will disappear!

Maybe really powerful light jedi could slowly fade away when they die, and really powerful dark jedi/sith could explode in a flash of blue energy (like the Emperor in ROTJ)?

Otherwise, the deaths in JK were pretty good (although we need some more varied death animations and dismemberment!).

Archived