Home

What was your biggest complaint about the trailer

Silent_Thunder

What was your major dislike about the trailer?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What was your major dislike about the trailer?

• Poor quality video (ie, too grainy, too small)
    • Too short (also includes jumping around too much and not showing enough of one battle)
    • disapointing gameplay (ie, too slow wall running, complaints about weapons or ect..)
    • It was as perfect as humanly possible.

:ewok: I've seen lot's of seperate threads regarding different things such as the footage being too short, the image being too small, the wall running being too slow, ect. But I thought it would be nice to have all the complaints that people listed in one poll to see which are the most common dislikes...

For me it was the too short fighting scenes... it jumped around too much.

:ewok:

Guest Sarcastic Saint

Yeah i got a 56k too and i wouldnt have mind waiting perhaps as much as 2 hours (in a row ofcourse) to get a decent movie.

Not that this was bad no no...but....it was a little to hecktic therefore i voted 2.

But otherwise....from what i have been abke to see....this game is gonna rock. :D

Its a teaser trailer. Its supposed to be short.

I'm glad it jumped around. It showed several different things as opposed to longer clips on just a few things. Had it not jumped around, people would probably be complaining that it showed too much of one thing. No matter how perfect it could be, people would always complain.

If it had been longer or higher resolution, people would complain about the file size.

I thought the trailer was great, just the way it should be. A trailer's function is to show you alittle bit to get you more interested, to grab your attention, not give away information or go indepth with any details That's exactly what this trailer did.

I thought it was quite poor quality and didnt show the graphics very well. I would have liked a full screen trailer with some good quality. I did not vote for poor gameplay just because of the wall jump, because although it had its faults I dont think you can say anything about it until you have tried it in the game :)

Guest X-Vector

It's a shame I couldn't vote for multiple options, because both gripe 1 and 2 stick out IMO.

I think it's a clear mistake by Lucasarts to not offer the video in a high-res, high quality (stereo!) sound format for the non bandwidth impaired among us.

A measly 3.3MB might be OK for a simple "part 3 of a series of 5 short E3 gameplay movies", but certainly not for an official trailer that is supposed to 'sell' the game to as many people as possible, the fanboys as well as those not in the know.

Same goes for the in-game footage 'real estate', much of what's in the trailer looks really exciting, but it's over before you realise it.

Some of us DF enthusiasts will of course rewatch the vid multiple times and even flick through it frame by frame (although that would be a lot easier to do if it came in Bink format), but the average Joe will blink twice and miss half of the fun - especially because the introductory animation is so utterly forgettable that there is no real connectivity between foreplay and main course (*cough*).

What I would have liked to see is a (cutscene?) intermezzo which serves to give the viewers a moment or two to recover from the barrage of non-stop action and prepare them for the climax right after (*cough no. 2*).

I'm not that fond of repeating myself, but this is one of the reasons why the Duke Nukem Forever E3 vid worked so well IMO.

Lots of action -> a period of rest and build-up of atmosphere and tension -> grand finale -> 'secret' encore after the credits = score!

Im with X-Vector, options 1 and 2

Good idea making this poll Thunder, maybe LEC will take a look and understand that the second video they release should be a high quality video, showing several seconds of each lightsaber battle they show

This thread has made me think about other game trailers. I've concluded that Blizzard make the best game trailers out of any other company. Although they don't show game footage, i believe the cinematography and directing of their 3d teasers is brilliant! Not only is the content great, but those videos using the Bink compression are the best i've seen.

All the Warcraft 3 trailers are amazing! The old Diablo 2 ones were also cool. I'd really love to see game companies doing that a little more.

Guest X-Vector
Originally posted by Darth Lunatic

Not only is the content great, but those videos using the Bink compression are the best i've seen.

Yeah, Bink is great and one of the best things about it is that you can convert every separate frame of such a video to a jpg file, using the (freeware) RAD Video Tools.

I just converted the DNF E3 vid to 4400 (!) 640x480 res jpgs, taking up about 400MB harddrive space, but it's worth it.

I'd love to have been able to do the same with the JO trailer.

I said gameplay. I know, I know...:eyeraise:...The only thing I found wrong with it was the effect of the lightsaber on people. When the lightsaber passed through them, they didn't just crumple, they went flying. What was up with that? When the first Jedi got hit, he flew a good 6 meters away. There was nothing to make him do that. And right before the wall walk scene, a guy is slashed into a wall. He hit the wall with a TON of force. I don't understand where that came from.

You gotta understand, though, that I love this trailer a LOT. In fact, I've watched it almost as much as RAVE. I would have voted the perfect choice, but I can't get by the whole flying backward when hit with the saber thing. It should pass through, not carry you on the blade like a sword.

there were no easily identifiable scotch bottle in the bar scene- I mean, c'mon, I can identify most good single malts from the back, at about 40 feet away (average distance from table to bar at the Opera House, my fav local restaurant) - WHAT WERE WE THINKING?!?!?! WHAT HAPPEND TO THOSE REFERENCE BOTTLES I SENT THE ART DEPARTMENT?!?!? WHERE IS MY SCOTCH... :p

...erm, uh, never mind... ;)

Guest Krayt Tion

For this question, I'm gonna haveta go with what your last girlfriend said before you left her for the scotch: It was too short and poor quality.

no wait i am JUST KIDDING

Heckling the former-devs is an instaban!!!! ;)

Archived