Home

multiplayer boards???

Dan12R

I know that JK had boards where you could post your IP address and people could join (I'm not sure if they're still around. I haven't been able to play JK on-line since my new internet connection). I was wondering if there were any plans for this and JO. It would be great because I really enjoyed these boards.

hmmmmm, i think JO will have an ingame server browser so that would ease things... of course if you want to specificly play with folks from the forum it could come in handy, finding their serves via the IP posted here then adding to a favorites kind of thing if that exists

Or you could do it through IRC, which would be much better. Post the game in a channel and people would then join through the game.We have setup a room called #nar on irc.enterthegame.com. We anticipate that it will be the epicenter of the JK2 community. Feel free to stop by and idle or chat.

FYI: IRC is a chat program. You can find it at http://www.mirc.com

From what Raven has said, there will be in-game server stuff so that we can avoid the Zone. But it might also be that the in-game thing is through the zone. So we wouldn't have to put up with all the n3wb crap yet it would still be the zone. The Zone the way it should be I guess. Get what I'm sayin'?

If you do that through IRC, then you get information immediately, rather than having to hit refresh over and over.

As I see it, JK2 MP will be accomplished through two things:

1. IRC

2. Gamespy

Clans will host JK2 servers, and the server IP and match stuff will be setup through IRC. Players will then use Gamespy to connect to the server.

And I hope it stays... for as long as people wish to use it (JediBoard for JK and MotS servers). Although it would be nice to get somebody who knows CGI (unlike me) to work with it...

I'm sure it was understood that this would be for JK2 (big enough to warrant its own board).

Posting a list of servers would still be a nice idea... as was pointed out, it could be a way for people who frequent the site to more easily hook up for games.

We could even have contests specifically connected with the site.

If JK2 turns out to be as popular as JK/MotS were, yes.... barring some huge unforseen disaster...

There were some boards at DarkJedi.com, which were always pretty small, and I believe Massassi.net had their own boards at one time, no idea how popular it was. JKMAG didn't really have boards per se (not at first anyway).. it was just a listing of ICQ numbers, so you could just message people when you wanted to play.

There was a forum at Scorched.com (this was back in the early days of JK.net) that wasn't really an IP board, but people used it as one, until the moderators abandoned the site, and it went to seed (and was eventually discontinued entirely).

My (and Img Src's) CTF page had a board for awhile, but it eventually fell into disuse, with the rest of the page, due to networking problems. CTF Group and JKMAG both made use of the "mod" boards as official policies later on, but now pretty much anybody uses what they want.

The only other places to play casually were the MSN Gaming Zone (largely in part to their monopoly for the first several months of JK's life, and free advertising in every gamebox and installation) and to a much smaller extent (and far later in its lifespan) Gamespy Arcade.

Kali apparently had a strong JK following for awhile, but then it dried up to virtually nothing. I can't say though, I wasn't a part of it (Kali was a pay service).

I'm hoping that JK2 will be wide open in comparison, that will mean it will be more widespread, with more players, and more games. More fun for you and me... and some special servers to help us get chummy couldn't hurt us either. ; )

Well the popularity of the company making it doesn't automatically guarentee its success.

And really all WE have seen of JK2 are the graphics (which look great thus far), we have no idea how the actual gameplay feels, or how balanced it is. Sure we have the glowing appraisals of reviewers and the developers themselves, but we all know how that can pan out...

Don't get me wrong, I've got high hopes for JK2, but the proof.. as they say.. is in the pudding (or in the actual gameplay, as the case may be). When the final version of the game is out, and playable, then we'll talk.*

*Even some very good games, that achieve critical acclaim, have failed to make a big splash financially... for example (and correct me if I'm wrong) Raven's own 'Heretic II.' Of course one might predict that even if JK2 was an awful disapointment, it would still sell a lot based on the hype of the Star Wars liscense alone...

Guest Krayt Tion
hmmmmm, i think JO will have an ingame server browser so that would ease things... of course if you want to specificly play with folks from the forum

I thibk it would be cool if JKII.net hosted an ip board like with JK. Because it's a lot more fun to play with people you know than with complete strangers.

Posting a list of servers would still be a nice idea... as was pointed out, it could be a way for people who frequent the site to more easily hook up for games.

Different solutions for a problem JKII.Net might be able solve an entirely different way.

There is a possibility that there will be an official JKII.Net server, maybe even more than one. This could easily be the place for people to play with folks from around the forum! There would be links to the board on our site and our forums, and possibly some more goodies related to it as well here.

I remember a program I had called recon droid. It would automatically check the boards of jediknight.net and one other site (I can't remember what it was called) for games. It would also automatically post your IP and stuff for you. It would be interesting to see the same thing for JK2, but from what I'm hearing, it could have something like this built into the program

Archived