Home

Gamepad option or not???

Virtuoso

Hello everyone............first post for this newbie. ;)

This game looks like heaven from all the eye candy to gameplay. I will run it on my high end PC with total joy.

I have one question .................... I know it's probably been asked before, and am sorry for bringing it up again, but I was not here then.;)

Most people prefer Keyboard/mouse config's, I prefer the gamepad , I know I am in the minority on this but was hoping there will be at least a option for this..........Will there be one?

Well thanks for any help, and glad to be yet another member here.:D

I would think so, most new games give this option, I've used a Gamepad for around 5 years until my buddy came over and showed me the advantages of the keyboard/mouse setup, I stuck with it and adapted and my Net scores have risen through the roof (compared to before), if you can stick it out and learn to play with the keyboard you will be in business.

My 2 cents.

Well I quess I'll keep the keyboard mouse option alive, it's OK for me, but for some crazy reason I prefer laying back with a gamepad.............So will there be a option at least for a gamepad, does anyone know? Thanks for any help, just cannot shake the urge of a gamepad. It's a weakness.......;)

ooooh yeah I can't wait for the future. VR is gonna rock! that is if they ever design household VR games.

I used to use only the keyboard in jk and I actually did better than w/ a keyboard and mouse (dunno how, that all changed once I got half-life...now I can't play with only a keyboard at all)

Virtuoso, I suggest you try the keyboard/mouse combination. It'll improve your accuracy unless your an ace with the gamepad like I was with my keyboard.

Good luck

Belgirion out

Well tat's just it, I am just a lone wolf when it comes to this, I just love gamepads, Keyboard /Mouse are fine, I like them, but gamepad is just soooooo much more comfortable, I get the same results for the most part. I just want to know if Gamepads are at least an option? Thanks again.:)

Everybody I was wondering if a dev hops onto these boards once in awhile? If so maybe they have an answer about Gamepads or not. I'll live with a Keyboard/mouse but I love leaning back with a gamepad and in a recliner, upright just is'nt as good for me, as for controls it's all equal more or less for me, I know I probably am the only freak here that cares about Gamepads but what can a poor lover of gamepads and there comfort do...........;):)

Has anybody seen that new arcade game that uses a handle you can swing in front of the screen to control the onscreen sword fighting action? I think I read about it in the latest issue of gamepro...

Sadly, all the arcades around here closed up shop, so I likely won't get a chance to see it in town. ; p

if you want to play guns in multiplayer at all (or ff sabers), you HAVE to use the mouse/keyboard...you will get slaughtered if you use a gamepad or joystick....you can just go so much more faster and get much better fpm (frag/min) scores...

btw, on this subject, i have some friends at school who are console gamers (hehe)....and when i told them that i could take them on in any fps and kick their ass, they laughed at me ...they haevnt played any multiplayer in any games (besides the console games' "multiplayer") heh...anyway, i just had to bring that up...

I played Dark Forces at a friends house on his PSX, and I just couldn't get used to the gamepad feel... I dunno, I like having my keyboard and mouse there. I use my gamepad for games like Need For Speed High Stakes, but for FPS I just have to use they keyboard mouse configuration.

AFAIK the engine supports Gamepads and other controllers. I don't see why they would omit that support unless it would seriously restrict your movement/control, particularly when using the lightsaber and Force powers.

I'm actually trying out a MS Strategic Commander in some FPS games at the moment, and it's not too bad in SP mode. I have to say it is not as responsive as the keyboard for back/forward/left/right movement...but with up to 24 (3 modes x 6 buttons) commands literally at your fingertips, it is certainly as versatile as using a keyboard. I wouldn't use it for MP, though. The keyboard/mouse combo is still faster in terms of movement control, and key combinations.

And welcome to the forums, Virtuoso and StAtilXl. I hope you enjoy your stay. Here... *hands over a chocolate Jedi Medallion*. There you go. ;)

Hey guys. (first post here)

I use a Logitech mouse in my left hand, and my Logitech Wingman Interceptor joystick in my right for ALL of my games.

The advantage of keyboard/mouse config over just a gamepad, is use of the analog axes (2 axis) of the mouse (= much more precision). With mouse AND joystick, I get FOUR axes (mouse for looking, joystick for moving/strafing). This allows me to use both wrists for controls, instead of just one for the mouse - freeing up fingers to do press other buttons (9 buttons, 3 eight-way POV hats, for a total of 33 programable functions, plus shifts assignments, Plus the two more axes, PLUS my mouse). Needless to say, there a few times in few games I ever need to touch the keyboard. This for me is by FAR the most precise way to move and aim, though most people who watch me do it say, "How do you do that? That must make it harder to control." Nope.

I REALLY hope they include option joystick/gamepad setups - just like JK did. I hate using the keyboard at any time for ANY games (a necessity for chat, though). It concerns me that the most RECENT games I like (i.e. Ghost Recon, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault) have totally removed joystick integration. In fact, I'll have a hard time buying OUtcast at all if they choose not to include it!

The way the original JK setup controls was SO way ahead of its time!! I think they should do it the same way.

Welcome to the forums, Frumpus - I hope you enjoy your stay :)

On the subject of gamepads and joysticks, I have the following emails to offer (posted with permission)

Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 6:07 PM

To: James Monroe

Subject: Jedi Knight II - Input devices question

I asked Mike Gummelt (via Private message on the jediknightii.net forums) whether JKII would support different input devices, and he suggested that I ask you...

So here's my question -

Will JKII ship with support for players to use Joysticks and/or Gamepads as opposed to the generic Keyboard and Mouse combination?

Your answer would be greatly appreciated, as many people would like to know this, not just myself.

With thanks,

Paul Chaplin, AKA "Wacky_Baccy"

And the reply -

Sent: Friday, February 15, 2002 12:12 AM

Subject: RE: Jedi Knight II - Input devices question

In order to not divulge anything I'm not allowed to, let's review public knowledge.

We use the quake 3 engine, specifically the modified q3 engine from Elite Force.

Elite Force has support for joysticks and gamepads.

Draw your own conclusions. :)

-James

It's nothing concrete, (never!) but I think we can safely say that gamepads and joysticks will be supported in JKII :)

Happy fragging :D

Thanks muchly, Wacky_Baccy! That really brings me relief.. . . now I just want to find out how "good" the Elite Force joystick/gamepad support is - I hope at least as good as JK.

Oh, Belgirion? I was referring to ANALOG axes (i.e. tiny hand movements - like a throttle equals tiny character movements) as opposed to DIGITAL keys/buttons (pressing a button will turn the control either 100% on or 100% off - no middle ground. . . "binary?" I think that's called?)

You'll never get the same kind of precision with binary as you would with a "throttle" type axis (though some players have compensated well!) Analog axies were GREAT in JK for creeping around corners and sneaking up on enemies when crouched.

Archived