Home

About force choke

ps2maddenman

I disagree with you there WD (assuming that certain powers are absolutely useless to a true "elite") but I won't argue it here (we've already been down that road enough times). ; )

A dedicated server, to put it simply, is a game that's up all the time.

Now many modern MP FPS games have a dedicated server option.

Usually what this will entail is a person (assumed to have a very high speed and fairly stable connection) will run a server program on their end, which will run the game in a plaintext box (thus saving their machine from having to render all the models, textures, etc). Thus it's not like when you host a game of JK, where you too are "physically" in the game. Although you can join your own server (but then of course your computer takes a performance hit, to run the game with you in it).

The benefits of having a dedicated server (only really feasible to maintain in a Client/Server based game, verses a Peer to Peer one like JK/MotS or IIRC Outlaws) is that it can be up indefinately, and the IP can be posted at various sites for people to join.

Think of a set of dedicated servers as "public games" for an entire part of the country, or the world (community at least). Some may be dedicated to certain themes or rules, and an admin may pop in (via remote control, or by joining her own game) from time to time to check on things, but generally, they'll have the options set, and the maps cycle. Sometimes they'll have voting systems, to take some of the load off of admins, but it depends on the game. Some use mods.

The games are up all the time, and they are run on fast connections (if the host was smart) so it gives a fast game to join anytime (in theory).

That of course doesn't mean with DS that people can't play private games, or just fire up a game in the traditional way, or use a service like "the Zone" but the point is, with this system, you would have another option, and for some, this may even be a more desirable option.

What Dedicated Servers *should* do (as I see it) is break the monopoly a service like the Zone would have on a game like JK2 without them (as it did with JK1), that is, unless LEC makes some exclusive deal with Microsoft again.

But consider the Quake series.. most supported on the Zone, but very few people actually play there, compared to the ones who use the dedicated servers and off of the Zone. Now compare this with JK/MotS, where the vast majority has always been on the Zone (since it's adoption). Since I myself didn't particularly care for the atmosphere and rules of MSN's gaming service (though it was free of course), this would be a welcome change, to my mind.

; )

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tend to classify people in 2 categories:

- newbie/starwarsrgpers/mod-addonlevel players

the reason they tend to stay weak as far as skill goes is because they are not constantly learning new tactics, pushing themselves to keep up the tactics, and actively practicing and honing their skills. I probably have been more critical of them than I should have in this thread, as there is nothing really wrong with pretending their jedi, playing mods, add-on levels actively, etc.

- competitive gamers

The reason these guys are so good at the game is that their playing to win, pioneering new tactics, and constantly forcing themeselves to get better at what they do. When you're trying to be the best, dominate ladders, win tournies, etc. you're going to push yourself to goto levels of skill that are far beyond what someone belonging to newbie/starwarsrpgers/mod-add-onlevel players group has. At least in JK where difficulty in joining in on a game and picking up the new tactics is much higher, than that of say, quake(which would only take a few weeks to get fairly good at). As far as grading people(who wish to become the best) for skill in this category, is generally, those who suck, those who are getting there, and the very top, elite/expert/top competitive gamer/whatever who have pretty mastered the tactics neccessary to win and are developing new ones themselves. The best clans like DSbr, JaG, etc. would accept nothing less than the very top. Mediocre clans like Prince, etc. typically consist of those who suck and those who are getting there.

Deathbolt, I agree with your concept but I'd call that a division in type of players and communities not one of skill.

Newbie/average makes up the Non-competative community, and expert/elites make up the competative group. There are people who are good (judging by the skill levels ive posted earlier) and are in between the two. Most howerver want to be part of the competative scene.

Originally posted by WD_ToRMeNt

I think Grip is a MP only force power and grip will be able to immobalize you because it lifts you off the ground (sounds cool).

Actually, it was confirmed first for SP...described as being fun to use on stormies. Why would it be MP only anyway?

As for the classifications, I agree with DeathBoLT, except for classifying newbies as the same as RPGers, etc. A newbie is someone who's new to the game, regardless whether they want to compete or play out the movies. (I should know---I was a newbie who wanted to compete...)

Archived