What do you use?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. What do you use?

• T1
    • T3
    • Cable
    • DSL
    • ISDN

from reading the faq I think they mean they 'support' 16 players on a server although its possible for more - this simply means that they are covering themselves from a support point of view (they dont want loads of 56k'rs calling them complaining because they cant play on a 32 slot server without a 500ms ping) it will make support guys life easier ''sorry but we dont suport that (you 56k muppet)''

Its about time we ban 56krs and make them buy adsl or cable :)

no offence to 56krs - but it sucks

500 ms with 56k? Are connecting with AOL and uploading to Morpheus at the same time? In T2, where matches range from 7 on 7 to 16 on 16, or even 19 on 19 in pubs, I typically see 56k players with 200-300 ms ping. Hell, I've seen people snipe well with 400+. It only needs to be a steady ping. Once the player gets used to it, they can do well.

Given that the game is on the Q3 engine, I'd imagine that the network code is just as good as T2. It will come down to the person's ISP, the routing to the server, and the connection of the dedicated server, as well as its stability, so on and so forth.

I ping 80 ms to the west coast and 40ms to east. Either way, I'll be fine. I'm glad that they went with the dedicated server, rather than the older JK setup. It should make for better pings all around.

Uh, yeah....Q3 is a smouldering piece of cr@p....( the game, not the engine....well, actually the engine too ) I think we all know that id really never pushes their engines very hard...and consequently, the networking code doesn't get pushed to the limit.

Now add saber toting people spraying force powers everywhere and you can imagine that more network bandwidth is going to be eaten up. If it takes more bandwidth per player, that will therefore reduce the total number of max players.

Comparisions to Q3 are completely meaningless ( even though they share the same engine ) because the games are entirely different.

Originally posted by Rancor

Uh, yeah....Q3 is a smouldering piece of cr@p....( the game, not the engine....well, actually the engine too ) I think we all know that id really never pushes their engines very hard...and consequently, the networking code doesn't get pushed to the limit.

Now add saber toting people spraying force powers everywhere and you can imagine that more network bandwidth is going to be eaten up. If it takes more bandwidth per player, that will therefore reduce the total number of max players.

Comparisions to Q3 are completely meaningless ( even though they share the same engine ) because the games are entirely different.

The number one problem people assume with multiplayer games is the amount of bandwidth the game will take as opposed to actually sitting down and disecting what the real game, or previous engine version send/recieve.

Trust me, if your gonna say anything about networking, make sure ya know what your talking about and you do your research. You'll get your ass flamed faster than a steak thrown to a bunch of starving Microsoft customers. ;)

Originally posted by Rancor

you know not of which you speak.

I am a 56 k and i don't have the choice no cable no adls here and the satelite don't have this feature at this time and i don't think i am ready to pay 100 per mount only to made you happy in your life i can play whit 500 ping and i can live whit that why you can live whit 75 ping beacause there are 56 around .

FFS! I am so sick you you rich american bastards and your cable. Have you ever stopped to think of anyone outside your own goddamned country? Has it ever occured to you that many of us cant afford cable or cant get in our area/city?

The statitics show that over 90% of people have 56k. Sure, the percentage of gamers with cable is growing fast, but if game designers start catering for their needs, there will be no way for anyone to actually get into gaming in the first place, because it would be so goddamn laggy. (I hate to reference it, but) Counter-Strike has an AMAZING netcode. I consistantly get sub 150 pings, and the client side prediction code makes it feel like their is no lag at all. The last time I checked, there were 50,000 people playing counterstrike. 50,000!. I wouldn't want to go through and check everyones ping, but I can garuntee that the majority would be on 56k.

Stop being so goddamn spoilt and think of those others without cable.

[/really pissed off at lpbs]

[edit] Sorry to everyone that i may have offended, this is not personally targeted at anyone, its just I'm so annoyed that im forced onto 56k and then cablers rub my low bandwith in my face that I just have to vent every once and a while.

*Disclaimer: This was an angry rant about nothing in particular. Don't mind me.

[/edit]

[<b>That's better.... no need to turn this into a flame-war. Keep in mind that in fact most of the world don't even own computers, much less have affordable internet access. It's sad, but it's reality. And if you can afford broadband, you're pretty lucky. - Kurgan</b>]

quake3 has very similar netcode.

quake3 can actually do exactly what the half-life netcode does http://www.planetquake.com/alternatefire/unlagged_faq.html.

hopefully that mod works with jko. if not im willing to chip in some cash (pass the hat, start a pay pal account) to get these guys to do the work. Can you imageine sabe battles with that. yum.

btw....dont whine about being a broke **** POS who cant afford broad band. dont ***** to me about being a "rich american". Last time i check our borders are pretty open. anyone can beomce a citizen, ****!

<b> [-Simmer down there pardner! Don't make me take out my trusty Banning Gun . Play nice.... - Kurgan]</b>

that said.....i work hard to have what i have. im sorry youre less fortunate but well. my computer and connection are tip top and i expect to be able to play every game well ;)

I live in Portugal, Europe and I got cable, and i'm not an American (and not that rich lol, not gonna tell my salary here) so....

But Half-Life has got an excellent netcode, worked beautifully when i was in 33.6k (yes i never had 56k).

Guest Krayt Tion

I have cable, and in all seriousness my company cannot even give me a straight answer on my theoretical maximums. They lied to me the first time over the phone (mentioned a 1.2 upload, for cable? yeah right!) and the second time around they gave me numbers that sounded more reasonable for cable (1.5 down/ 128K up) but I have not been able to get anywhere near those speeds, no matter the time of day or day of the week.

Doesn't matter that much anyways, as they are the only game in town. They have a broadband monopoly and I'm sure they've oversold whatever loop I'm on thrice-fold.

I have to power down, unplug my cable modem, and reboot every once in a while to keep it working. Better than nothing though.

I've gamed on other cable, ADSL, T3, and OC3 connections before. I would definitely get SDSL if it was available, it is the way to go. I won't be at this location any longer than a year, so I'm not too stressed.

56k here...but I won't bore you with my problems, or the fact both Cable and DSL aren't available in my area either. I'll try out online MP, and if it doesn't work very well...well, don't expect to see me online much for the next couple of years.

At least there are bots to play against...I just hope they have a range of skill settings, so you can ramp it up when you've beat them on one skill level. I just hope there's more on offer than just Easy, Medium or Hard settings when it comes to bot-matches. :/

Archived