Home

New Gamespot Preview 6 Mar 2002...

StormHammer

Having read the preview, here are a couple of things I thought were interesting...

The ship was very detailed, and it featured little touches such as floor grating that revealed the areas beneath it.

I wonder if this means we get to smuggle some stuff around... ;)

The few samples of local wildlife we saw ran the gamut from the cool-looking krayt dragon to the bizarre one-legged creature whose head was a challenge to locate because of his quirky design.

Now that sounds pretty weird... :D

So you've got direct control of your character, and the combat system is still rules-based, so it'll still feel like a rules-based system but will look more dynamic. It should look much cooler than Baldur's Gate or EverQuest. We won't have combat screens, so everything will be done on your main play screen--you'll run around and be in combat if there's an enemy there, and you'll see people onscreen you can interact with.

...So a heavy lightsaber attack will have a list of animations the game can pull for that attack, and then, depending on what the rule system said--whether it hit, missed, or was deflected--it will pick a set of animations for the other character and match them so it will look cool.

I really prefer direct control over characters. If it's intuitive and responsive enough, it could make for some really good real-time battles. I'm glad to see there are no separate combat screens either. I think this game is going to feel more like a traditional over-the-shoulder experience. :)

We will have a level of customization in the game. It's not going to be as much as something like Galaxies will be, but you will have a level of customization. You'll be able to put on different armor on and things like that.

Well, at least we now know you can change your character's appearance by switching armour, etc. It would be good if you had at least the same level (and ease) of character customisation that Unreal Tournament offers...such as changing overall appearance, face, voice, etc., at the very beginning of the game.

We have a full complement of melee and ranged weapons. So like blasters, rifles, swords, double swords.

Swords? Methinks this fellow has the wrong kind of Knight in mind... :D I read that as lightsabers...and it looks like those double-bladed sabers will make an appearance. I wonder if they'll only be available to Dark-Siders, though... :eyeraise:

The Ebon Hawk kind of acts as a home base where you can store all the characters you've talked to who can join your party. They'll travel with you and they'll be on the Ebon Hawk doing repairs or whatever and you can go back and switch someone out if you need someone that has a skill you need.

Judging by that comment, you will be able to split your party up, or it will be automatically split at certain points in the game... So some of those screenies showing just the main character alone...might be after you've picked up other characters, it's just that you can take off on your own if need be, and then return to your ship... Sounds pretty flexible to me. :)

We've actually been comparing some of the scenarios to Deus Ex, where you have several ways to get through an area and you might need a character who has a specific skill to do that.

That just sounds great to me. Multiple paths, and multiple choices of actions to take are pretty much essential for the replay factor, because you'll always be asking yourself...What would have happened if I had done this, instead of that... It's good to see they're not making it too linear, or have set ways to achieve objectives.

We have technical goals for those things. My request to the team was that I didn't want to see load times, period. There are ways to do it if you set yourself up that way from the beginning. We're shooting for sub-10-second load times at any one point.

If that applies to the PC version as well, then that's excellent. I don't expect it to be as seamless as Dungeon Siege promises to be...unless they hide the short loading time for the next level by having something else going on in the foreground. I have to admit I'm impatient with long loading times.

So our goal for gameplay time is 60 hours. We have so many areas that we're building--worlds, spaceships, things like that to explore--so we have a ton of gameplay.

Hmmm...it sounds a lot, but compared to other RPG's that seems quite short. I was hoping for a longer game - maybe around 100 hours. I have to admit, though, that if it was going to be 300 or more, I'd probably start to lose interest. I played Daggerfall and never completed it because there were just so many side-quests (and generic dungeons), and I didn't seem to be making much headway, so I stopped playing it. I can't see that happening in this case, though. :D

It has the full complement of side quests, minimissions, and minigames. Some of the minigames you should be able to play for as long as you like if you're having fun playing them.

Those minigames sound like they could be a lot of fun. :)

We can't talk about who it is yet, but the goal is to have a completely original score. It will be a Star Wars score, but it will all be original, and probably the things that will remain will be the force themes and things like that.

That's great news, from my POV. I don't think the music from the other films would have been appropriate for KOTOR. I wonder how much music there will be...after all, you don't want to hear the same tune too many times during the course of the game...

Overall, that was a very good preview, IMHO. :)

Archived