Home

Cut-scenes

Wicket the Ewok

Which cut-scene style do you prefer?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which cut-scene style do you prefer?

• Movie-style live-action
    • In-game engine
    • Don't know/don't care

I don't really like FMV. Although it worked well in the original JK, I feel it loses some of the continuity. In my opinion the in-game engine is the best bet especially as graphics have improved so much since MotS was released.

JK2 uses both in-game cutscenes AND pre-rendered(you may also call it cinematic) cutscenes. Former ones move story along during levels and latter ones(made by CREAT Studio) are meant to visualize epic space scenes(scrolling Star Wars text, capital ships and even possible space battles) that even Quake III Team Arena engine couldn't show in all their glory. Same division of labor was also seen in EF, so they won't probably differ too much from each other and together fill nicely the hole left by FMV cutscenes.

I voted for FMV, but now that I think about it, both in-game engine and FMV have their advantages. Like Farlander said, an FMV is much more of a reward than in-game cutscenes, but no developer team has the budget to make such things in FMV as they can with the engine. A good example of this is the ending of Max Payne. It could easily fit in the budget of a Hollywood movie, but not the budget of a game. Of course the actors can express themselves 100% with some film and a camera (like using body language and such) instead of just a microphone and not seeing the other characters. So basically, if you wanna show character interaction, use FMV. If you wanna show action, it's better to use the engine of the game.

Or maybe pre-rendered cutscenes are the best ones? I sure as hell loved them in Starcraft and Diablo 2. The cutscenes seen in Diablo 2 are the best ones ever in my opinion.

Ingame cutscenes do fine for me, though FMV is alright as long as the actors are decent enough. The original Jedi Knight cutscenes were terrible, there was not one good actor in the whole bunch. Actually I would prefer not to have cutscenes at all, and go with scripted sequences instead.

Originally posted by Squalliss

Outcast will have both in-game and fmv cutscenes.

Actually not ... it will have in-game, engine-based cutscenes, and pre-rendered cutscenes. JK1 had FMV - which is full motion video with actors.

Based on JK1 I preferred FMV, but based on SoF and Elite Force, and especially RtCW and MoH:AA, I now prefer the game-engine. I find FMV disruptive, whereas well done cutscenes are immersive

I found it slightly annoying how they did real people for JK but the game engine for MotS. It sort of made them slightly different from each other. Still, MotS was a great game :p

Heh, anyway... I prefer for the cutscenes to be made with the engine of the game, it feels like you're not cutting away to a slightly different format, that being real people rather than animated. So I'm all for in-game engine cutscenes :)

Either way, this game is gonna be a blast :)

Archived