Home

Optical Mouse Question

bunnymud

Hiho everyone, can't wait for the game. I have a question.....With Q3 I found that rapid movements with my optical mouse would cause the camera to go off in different directions. Has anyone encountered this?? Also, what would the average specs be for running the game??

Hi bunnymud, welcome to the forums. *hands over a chocolate Jedi Medallion*. There you go. ;)

You can find the system requirements on the Official Jedi Outcast site here. Hope that helps.

As for your mouse problem...you might want to try different surfaces underneath the mouse. I have encountered a couple of glitches in the past where the view just shoots off...and it's usually because the optical sensor has hit a spot on the surface that it cannot scan effectively. You might also want to try lowering the mouse sensitivity a bit to see if that helps. ;)

You mean you move the mouse and suddenly you aim at your feet and start spinning around???? That happens to me every now and then. Makes me so mad, I think that is what you are talking about though. After it happens I have to wait a few seconds to stop spinning and then I can move the mouse again. If anybody know how to solve this I would be greatly appreciative. ;)

Edit: thanks Stormhammer, I had a feeling it might have been something like that. My desk has a kinda glossy finish to it. Must have reflected the laser back at the sensor or something. I was just always to lazy to test it out.

what you said is the "optical mouse bug" i.e. skipping that was a big problem with 1st generation (or was it 2nd generation) optical mice especially with slow mouse sensitivity (because of 1500 pps technology)... the new generation 6000 pps Microsoft mice (Microsoft Intellimouse explorer 3.0 (optical) and Intellimouse Optical 1.1) never skip... and Logitech Mouseman Dual Optical is very good too (Logitech dual optical is probably better if you use slightly higher sensitivity, Microsoft mouse if you use low mouse sensitivity)

and a good mousepad is very important too

I've got a Logitech optical mouse(the one that's purty red on top with a red light in the transparent bottom half, very cool), and have never had that problem before. What surface are you using the mouse on?

I have the typical fake wood desktop.....but the gloss is worn down due to heavy use/cigarette ash/spilled coke-beer. I don't like the sensitivity too high so I'll try a mouse pad or get a newer generation mouse instead. Thanks for the link btw :D

As already mentioned, the skipping effect experienced when using optical mice is a result of too low a surface scanning/tracking rate matched with fast movement of the mouse.

I personally do not experience any skipping when playing games simply because I use slightly higher sensitivity settings. Though I have a feeling that I may experience some skipping in JK2 in 3rd person while using the saber. If this is the case I'll just upgrade to a better mouse...

Also, about surfaces and optical mice. I'd recommend something dark and solid. Anything light or clear will not work well with the mouse.

I'm currently using a dark blue pad that has some white lettering on it. From time to time the lettering will screw up the tracking on the mouse. I really need to get something different (read: lazy :D )

edit: yep, everglide pads are awesome. I have one of their first hard models. Unfortunately I can't use it since it's bright white.

Agreed - the older optical mice really do have tracking problems. I just picked up the Logitech dual optical and I can strongly recommend it. Tracks very nicely in Wolf at 1600x1200 with everything on full. Won't know how it works in JK2 until tomorrow :o(

Well, i've got a Microsoft Intelli-point optical mouse, and also a pretty bright, wildly colored mouse pad that i got in Atlanta during the 96 olympic games. It has lots of blue, orange, yellow, and a little green. So i wouldn't worry too much about what kind of mousepad you have, i've never experienced any problems whatsoever with my mouse, it works like a charm.

for teh mouse, what i'm more concerned about is whether they will allow me to use the side-buttons or not. I've never played a PC game that supported them, but then again, i've bought mostly console games lately...

Guest Apparition

Guys, if you have this problem (as I did) get the Logitech Dual Optical. It NEVER happens now. I can throw the mouse and it'll go where it's supposed to.

Archived