Home

Dual Cpu???

SYNERGiST

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well... I decided to try pyroclasmx's workaround. I changed W2K to the ACPI Uniprocessor kernel <shiver> and rebooted. I checked the task manager, and sure enough I wa only using 1 processor (ewwww). So, I proceded to run JO. Selected Multiplayer. Watched in amazement as it flew past the CPU check. Screen turned black. Screen turned Blue.

*** STOP: 0x0000000BE (0x80420004,0x00420121,0xB5356824,0x0000008B)

An attempt was made to write to read-only memory.

*** Address 80420004 base at 80400000, Datestamp 3ad7ad60 -ntoskrnl.exe

P.S. I'm not ungrateful or anything pyroclasmx. Thanx for the attempt :)

/me goes back to praying for an official patch.

We both have dual AMD MP 1800+s and we are having the same problem, but it could be our chipsets cause we are running tyan tiger MP s2460 boards. I am just glad to see that we are not the only ones. I hope this problem gets fixed soon, cause Jedi Knight II SP is awesome ;)

We both have dual AMD MP 1800+s and we are having the same problem, but it could be our chipsets cause we are running tyan tiger MP s2460 boards. I am just glad to see that we are not the only ones. I hope this problem gets fixed soon, cause Jedi Knight II SP is awesome ;)

System Specs:

2 AMD Athlon MP 1800+

Tyan Tiger MP

1024 PC2100 DDR RAM

Geforce4 ti 4600

3d Mark 2001: 9750

DVD ROM Drive

CDRW Drive

Firewire DVD-R Drive

20 & 80 GB HD 7200 RPM

Running Windows XP Pro.

Athons and Windows XP dont seem to like running good together

Due to the fact that Microsucks used mostly

Intel processors to Make and Test XP

Multiplayer doesn't run very good (if at all) in JO for some reason

Especially on Athlon MP Dual CPU systems

I think that this is an Athlon XP issue with Windows XP....

After all they did make the Athlon XP

simply because the Athlons didn't work well on Windows XP

This will most likely be updated by AMD in the short future

( they're pretty good about this kinda stuff )

For now if you are running VIA or AMD Chipsets

Try getting the latest AGP and mainboard drivers

From your mainboard manufacturer....

VIA users will need the latest VIA 4 'n' 1 Drivers to play.....

@HC - Exar Kun

well it is not a winxp vs athlon xp problem ... since i'm using win2k and get the same problems and we have some intel users also with the same problems.

This is a fine bug of the windows system kernel.

all u have to do is install direct x fromt the cd... it works i promise.

i play all the time on mp. u just have to make sure that it says "direct x 8 has successfully been updated on your computer" or something like that. works like a charm. if u cannot figure this out look at my above posts. you usually ahve to do it ever so often. it doesnt keep working. just do it if u fail during the stupid exe error junk. if u need a ss i can take one. :)

peace,

cent man

@HC - Exar Kun

Maybe you are right, about the Athlon that is!

But the Athlon XP, you are very wrong!

maybe windows XP is not made for it, but the Athlon XP is made for Windows XP, clever bastards they are AMD :D

(Bumb in disguise)

Morning bumpage. Im now on the Docking bay level. Dunno how many more I have to go before someone from Raven/Lucas arts/whoever posts that yes, this IS a problem and they officially acknowledge it as such. Not much to ask for. The thread is burning up in the forum, BOAT loads of views, lots of response. Maybe if we hit the 30k post mark someone will say "hey, I think they have a problem!". Argh. Im frustrated. I WANT to play multiplayer!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exar, it's not an AMD issue, look at the posts on here, there have been a lot of people who have been complaining of this trouble on dualie intel rigs...

And it is not an issue with windows XP, because there are as many people that are having this problem on win2k (such as myself). It's an issue with the detection of the dual processors... (except for those problems with the single athlonXP's, I don't know how to explain that...)

But there have been people that have been running the game with uniprocessor ACPI, so it would seem obvious that it's a dualie issue... something that can be worked around since the single player version works with dualies...

just my $0.02

Originally posted by HC - Exar Kun

Athons and Windows XP dont seem to like running good together

Due to the fact that Microsucks used mostly

Intel processors to Make and Test XP

Wrong. AMD's were used extensively and are x86 complient in every way. The code in XP is also optimised for 3Dnow and 3Dnow Pro. Athlons and WinXP work without issues as long as you use te correct drivers. (Which is exactly the same as Intels CPU's) A lot of the systems that MS used were actually Alpha's as the current CPU's were too slow to compile the code. They tested the final code on 1000's of differant platforms. Im not saying XP is perfect but to say XP and Athlons dont work well is Wrong.

I think that this is an Athlon XP issue with Windows XP....

After all they did make the Athlon XP

simply because the Athlons didn't work well on Windows XP

This will most likely be updated by AMD in the short future

( they're pretty good about this kinda stuff )

If your going to offer advise at least get it right. All AMD proceessors work in XP. The new Palomino cores (1600+ and higher) were named XP's for marketing and it has nothing to do with there XP compatability at all. All Athlons actually beat the crap out of intels similar offerings and have ever since the Slot A 500mhz.

For now if you are running VIA or AMD Chipsets

Try getting the latest AGP and mainboard drivers

From your mainboard manufacturer....

VIA users will need the latest VIA 4 'n' 1 Drivers to play.....

Yes here i do agree with you. Updated Drivers for ALL your hardware is always advised. Ive been testing this error in over 12 differance platforms to get it working (i run dedicated servers for an ISP) I can confirm its definatly a Dual CPU issue with both Intel and AMD but the problem does show up on some single CPU AMD systems with XP. The error it seems is due to JK2's detection of the CPU's. Ill be getting a Xeon with hyperthreading soon to see if that has issues as well

I have a Prestonia with Hyper-Threading enabled and yes, there is a problem. i posted my system specs above. i tried turning off Hyper-Threading it worked one time. when i exited and went back in, it would no longer run in MP mode. single player mode works well in all cases.

well i have made a second fix.

http://www.htwm.de/~sdoempke/loader.rar

my first fix did not work because the filecheck&memory check at the beginning noticed that the file has been changed (-> entities problem).

now i'm using a loader which waits 80ms and then modifies the file ... just in time before the div by 0 comes ...

i havent tried it too long but it seems to work ... but it is possible that the timing isnt perfect.

hope this will help out until the official patch is released.

Good job Raiden. I will try the fix when I get home from work (shortly). I respect the fact that a consumer is working on a product that other consumers have spent lots of hard earned money on, and the company that created it won't acknowledge the problem. (notice the frustration here)? If your patch dosen't work, im gonna take the game to walmart, then Im going to ask if I can return it. If they will not let me return it, I will then proceed to break it into MANY MANY small pieces and just leave it on their customer service counter. I wasted 50 bucks on a game and I'd get more enjoyment out of breaking the damn thing than I will playing it!:D

I can't seem to download your fix either. U sure you got the link right? *prays that your fix works*

Once again, I applaud the job you have done, and the fact that you have given others a sense of hope that it can be resolved soon.

@sponz

hmm the link should work ... well he works for me :-| .

and i had worked with emorog (he is from raven) to fix the problem ... dont know why it takes so long to release the fix but i guess they want to make a big patch which solves some other bugs too.

Ok. Couple of things for everyone out there. The loader file worked great on my machien so far. I played from the time of my last post to this post. Quite a while. Not a single problem. Looks like you might have gotten whatever the problem was fixed. Or atleast bandaged up. Good work to you!

:biggs: :biggs: :biggs: :biggs: :biggs:

It works fine in Single Player mode. If I try to play Multiplayer my system crashes. I get a "Windows XP has encountered an error" message right when the game engine tries to initialize/detect my CPU.

Here is my system config:

Dual Processor AMD Athlon MP 1600+

Tyan Tiger S2640 AMD 760 MP

256MB PC2100 DDR

3.5" HD FDD

30.7 GB ATA-100 IBM 7200rpm HDD

ATI Radeon 8500 64MB DDR

Windows XP Professional

Adaptec 2940UW

Toshiba SCSI CD-ROM

Pioneer SCSI CD-ROM

Creative Labs 2X EIDE DVD-ROM

D-Link DFE-530TX

Any ideas why I can play single player fine but not the multiplayer version?

wth?

Archived