Home

Vagabond's Interview with Dan Pettit

GonkH8er

Dan Pettit, Associate Producer and our own Vagabond

------------------

Is lightsaber knock-back the typical response when someone is hit by the lightsaber? If not, what other effects can gamers expect? For example, when someone dies, do they ever simply crumple do the ground?

"Knock back", as the community calls it, is not a very common event. With the Ghoul2 technology, there is a wide range of effects that happen based on the situation. Hitting a leg vs. the chest; the right side vs. the left side - these types of variances all have an impact on what the resulting affect will be.

Is it possible for Light Jedi simply disappear when they die, as when Vader killed Obi-Wan, or will there always be a body?

There's always a body immediately after killing an enemy. However if you walk away from the body, maintenance droids miraculously remove the body. :-) Actually performance wise it would be very costly to keep all of those dead bodies lying around.

There have been some rumors that dismemberment may have been removed from Jedi Outcast, and replaced with the lightsaber knock-back. Is dismemberment still in the game? If so, what body parts can be severed?

The amount of dismemberment in Jedi Outcast was kept appropriate for both the Star Wars universe and the continuing Jedi Knight game play experience.

Can gamers expect to see any differences between the lightsaber knock-back shown in the videos, and that which makes it into the final game?

There is a bunch of things that people see in the trailers that get tweaked and modified along the way. The footage for the original video was taken a couple of months ago. During the last few months of any project a lot of small adjustments go on and Raven did a great job of tuning this game. Not only did they meet our expectations for this product, but I believe they'll meet the community's as well. We are extremely pleased with the final product!

What can you tell us about the walking on walls? Is it a brief effect, or can it be sustained for longer periods?

It's a fairly brief effect. The best way to gauge this is to review the video we just released on March 14th. The walking on walls effect shown in the video shows the longest period of time you can do this effect.

Recently it was made public that there won't be any multiplayer skins available from Episode I, such as Darth Maul or the Jedi Council, because those characters are not alive during the period that Jedi Outcast takes place. Is that correct? If so, then how does this reconcile with the fact that a Darth Vader skin was made available for multiplayer in Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight, when clearly he was not alive during that time either?

There are plenty of Multiplayer skins available. We all wanted the Multi-player experience to relate back to the single-player game. As a result, shipping with any skins not associated with the game didn't quite fit. But we have a feeling that other skins will start appearing all over the place soon after release

What effect, if any, does fan feedback have on what makes it into Jedi Outcast?

You've seen the occasional posts [at the http://www.jediknightii.net forums] from Raven and we here at LEC also read the board on a regular basis. It is good to hear everyone's opinions about what they liked in Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II and what they were expecting out of this product (and about a 1000 other topics). We did take your feedback and made sure there was a larger download option for the video this time. I will also secretly admit to you that it really did help in our decision making process about Kyle befriending a group of outcast Gonks! :-)

Is there anything else you'd like to say or get off your chest?

Watching the boards on a regular basis, I know there has been a lot of debate about Kyle's lightsaber. I won't tell you anything about the story but I will give you this little tidbit about lightsabers in general:

Lightsabers are very intricate weapons and need constant maintenance. Without regular maintenance the lightsaber will cease to function. If this happens, a Jedi may need to replace the crystal or have to construct a new lightsaber

Lastly, one question I like to ask everyone I interview - if you could be any animal, which would it be, and why?

A Bantha. I was Bantha Leader after all.

-----------

Good work vag.... but there's something that troubles me.... :(

I will also secretly admit to you that it really did help in our decision making process about Kyle befriending a group of outcast Gonks! :-)

can someone who's encountered this expand upon it? perhaps some screenshots?..... if finishing the game means I have to befriend gonks........... well......... grrrrrrrr

Hey, thanks guys! I'm always trying to get the scoop on the hottest questions.

About the Power Droids, a source tells me that you can expect to see one quite early during the single-player game. Of course, when drifting through the seedy recesses of the internet-underground, where rumor and innuendo double for fact, the truth is often an elusive mistress.

Archived