Home

[Spyware and You]

JediSith999

Originally posted by Amorpheus

A cookie isn't spyware, that's just paranoia. :rolleyes:

And blame your browser for letting a pop-up do anything else to your system.

Actually no its not paranoi, both doubleclick.com and x10.com use a cookie to log where you go on-line and then have that cookie sent to them, how does it get sent? The next time you browse a page with thier ads on it, of course. Go check up on adaware sometime.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm, I'm not sure about winserv, make a backup of it somewhere safe so you know you can retrieve it if necessary, then lay waste to it.

As for Ad-Aware GET IT NOW! IT's freeware, takes up no space whatsoever (ok, noe worth mentioning) and WORKS. You would be surprised at just how many problems wthis can fix by removing things you weren't aware were even there. Including some MP internet games whose names we won't mention...

Let me clear some things up:

1: A popup cannot get your email address.

2: A popup cannot automatically install software.

3: A popup can place cookies, which make it possible to track where you've been.

4: Ad-Aware is a great piece of software.

5: If you keep bumping this thread, I won't sticky it...I'll close it.

Originally posted by Tain

Wow, the admins here are horrible. Like children on a power trip. I guess they need to wantonly threaten things to make themselves feel better.

you think these admins are 509.gif?

the admins at Westwood areeck13.gifand they make me eck12.gif and i want tosterb035.gif.

just remember, it gets worse;)

lol...this thread is hilarious....

spyware makers!!! lets burn them at the stake!

:rolleyes:

why dont you all just download popup stopper or any decent firewall...that will stop tons of crap from ever getting to your eyes (or using up bandwidth) i also used to have a bannerad blocker...that was great for people who dont want to see stupid ads taking up precious bandwidth....anyway, dont jump to conclusions simply because you have a ****ing cookie on your computer. most cookies are very non threatening and do not invade your privacy in anyone's eyes...simply saying that because you have a cookie you have 'spyware' is as ignorant as it is wrong.

yes, some cookies DO sell your browsing habits to 3rd party companies, but this is usually because you signed up for it...inadvertantly as you may have...

well, thats my take on it..stop whining please.....

[

Don't go around the censor.

--Matt-windu

]

Originally posted by Tain

Wow, the admins here are horrible. Like children on a power trip. I guess they need to wantonly threaten things to make themselves feel better.

You've been here for less than a month, you don't even know the admins. Speaking of which, I'm a Super Mod, not an Administrator.

Besides, no ones forcing you to stay. Join another community.

I just don't see the point in forcing this topic to the top. If people consider doubleclick cookies...which are at a great many sites anyway, to be an issue...they'll post.

And on children on a power trip: I, and many other mods, prefer to be called teenagers. Check some of the admins & mods birthdays, many of us are in either college or high school. The 'power trip' of your average mod lasts about a week or two.

Ahhhhh paranoia, isn't it lovely???!!!?!?!

Anyways. In case you haven't figured it out, spyware is just plain old evil. There are two types of spyware in my opinion, spyware that is malicious and spyware that isn't.

Your cookies (i.e the doubleclick cookie) are pretty much safe. they just gather information about your browsing habits. for instance, if you browse a web site about books and spend the majority of your time looking at sci-fi books, the cookie is gonna tell the web site you are at to display sci-fi ads, because odds are you will take more interest in them than probably ads about romance novels.

Now, on to that malicious spyware. This kind of spyware can really screw up your computer if you are not careful. Ever hear of Gator??? Nasty little program. In case you don't know how the dumb prgogram works, let me explain it. Have you ever gone to a web site where you have to fill out forms. forms where you have to put in your name, e-mail address, age, sex, location, telephone number, credit card number..... Well, if you download and run Gator, the program will kindly take all of this information and store it for you so that it can automatically fill in forms the next time around. Well, what you don't know about Gator, is that the program has the ability to send whatever information you type in over the interneet to whoever owns the program. That person can then sell that information to whoever has the right amount of money.

Perhaps this might have something to do with all that spam.....

But Gator isn't the only program like this. Comet Cursor is a good one as well. There is a list of all or most spyware programs, I will look for a link.

The easiest way to avoid any problems with spyware is to avoid downloading known spyware and to use programs like Ad-Aware to remove spyware you may not know about.

Think I am full of $h!t??? Well.... don't. I have recently had a spyware experience that has ruined my operating system. one morning i woke up to 3 spyware programs that i know i never downloaded and a computer that won't function right. IE, Outlook, Word, FrontPage, AIM, Media Player, and many many more programs won't work. It appears (i am pretty sure this is what happened) that one of these 3 spyware prgrams downloaded themselves to my computer, installed themselves, took information off of my computer (ip address, information on my firewalls, etc.) and allowed someone to hack my registry. Perhaps I am being paranoid, but it is the only thing that can explain my screwed up computer. If anyone else has any idea on what it is, please tell me, I'm desperate!

Even if i am wrong about my experience, such things do happen.

So, be aware with Ad-Aware!!! :D :D :D

Archived