Home

Vader... work in progress...

sithlord-II

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i've played around a bit with the smoothing groups now, the face does look a bit more angular in parts, and the helmet has that same sort of divide between the flange and the headpiece, instead of looking really smooth between - and i would definitely want to make the sabre for vader once it is possible

thank you skellington, hope to see those items, and i did check out a few different cosuming sites yesterday when i was searching for some sources, that vadermaker was one of them - i also found a different vadermaker site, without that domain name but alot larger images, i was at work when i found it though...

edit:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~dewar_s/Vader/Helmet.htm

found the alternate vadermaker site as well, it has a little bit extra info i believe and some good images

DON'T USE THE ONE WITH THE POINTY BIT BETWEEN THE EYES!!! AHHHH!!!! That's the old, deformed Don Post standard mask...NOT a good reference at all. The Classic Action is much better (hee....have one sitting on my computer here :) ), and is apparently made from a mold of one of the original Empire helmets.

dont worry, wont be using that for a reference

and as a sidenote heres a little low poly item i did up earlier, its exactly 500 polys, untextured, vader's saber from ANH

(was bored at work and didn't have 3DS, so Gmax would have to do)

:)

http://www.geocities.com/sithlordiii2000/vadersaber.txt

i've gotten some better images of the vader mask and have made quite a few improvements, next step is cutting down alot of unnecessary polys on the model itself, and then texturing the whole thing

I just looked at that model (first post) looks good cept for one thing - the helm should meet with the eye line - creating a brow line. meaning it should make those spheres of eyes look like evil slanted eyes.

PS: I would LOVE for someone to make some skins based on the Star Wars Manga - that was amazing work there!

can you post some more (newer) screenshots, please?

since we are still waiting for the SDK to come that would be sweet, because this will make the waiting more comfortable.

actually your vader model and the hope to get a darth maul model is the only thing that makes me wait for the sdk...

vader_front2.txt

vader_persp2.txt

and this image is a bit larger than the others, so i'll link to it...

http://www.geocities.com/sithlordiii2000/vader_wire2.txt

and yes, i am aware of the gaps in the ankles, hips, etc, and that the legs are a little bit long

heheh

the grey bit beside his face is because the helmet has not been attached to the head yet, that is the double-sided texture on it for the time being.

and his inner cloak is in there...

poly count right now is about 2200, it will need some refining and optimizing once the SDK/GDK are out, once i see how it looks in-engine.. and i think i need to bulk it up a bit, in the arms and the legs so he looks a bit bigger, more powerful

Bravo! The helmet is looking downright fabulous now! I think you've already pointed out all the major flaws in the model, so obviously you're good at judging your own work. Excellent job, though! Keep up the good work! :D

Verrrry Niice!

It's very clear to see your improvement between the first shots and the latest!

The Front-Pic is great work, man! Looks very accurate and true.

I have little problems with the lower view, but that could be just me... I searched for some Pics from that angle and found some on http://www.theforce.net.

Sadly I have no idea how to post them, so I just post the links:

Vader ESB 1

Vader ESB 2 (just 'cause that's THE Vader photo... <g>)

Vader ESB 3

It looks like the helmet is still a bit too "high". Hope you got my point...:p

Well, just wanna give a helping hand...

The work so far is great and you rule... so far (;) ) Keep it up!!

DarkErik

thank you guys for the comments, i do know what you mean, and i think i see one other area for improvement on the helmet (mask) - below the chin grating, it cuts in too far, it needs to jut out more to expand the neck, and the neck and grating do down quite a bit further i believe

i'll bring the helmet in closer to the head, i did bring it down a bit but i had left it up for the time being so i could see the facemask a bit more clearly for the smoothing groups

:)

those images will definitely help, darkErik

i don't want to just rush this model out, i'd sooner make sure it looks good and will deform well ingame, as well as be as authentic as possible (to my ability anyways...)

i'm sure there will be a swarm of vader models coming out once we all get our hands on the importing tools, hopefully mine will be one people use

Happy that I was able to help :o

BTW, go through some other pics on TheForce.net... I think I saw some blueprints for the belt... but nothig for the suit, but I think you've already found some...

And by enough pushing by the community here, your models would work out great and will be used by all... hopefully to give enough credit for your work 'till release.

Not to change the subject but if you watch Empire, in the scene where vader is reaching out his hand like what is shown in picture two of DarkErik's post. You can see his helmet wobbling around on his head from the wind machine. Seems they didn't have it attached very firmly during filming of that scene...You might want to incorporate that feature into your model! JK It's looking good, can't wait!

Painreliever

Archived