Home

Vader... work in progress...

sithlord-II

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...Prowse was/is a huge man. Here's a picture of him in his body-building prime...

davidprowse1.jpg

Keep in mind that he was also 6'7" tall, making him a giant even among other bodybuilders. Of course, by the time of Star Wars, he was significantly older and less robust than in this picture, but he was still a big, thick dude.

i'm not using blue tone for anything else on the model, i was just using it a bit on some metallic parts

what i would like to do is use the shaders for a faked reflection on the helmet, shoulder armor and such

perhaps even on parts of vader's leather suit, dunno, will have to see

i'll prolly take out those light blue tones from the model if you guys want them out, just wanted to add a bit of hue to the suit, nothing like glowing neon blue or anthing but just a hint so that it makes it stand out a bit more

heheh

:)

edit: and i have not forgotten about the chain around his neck, i'm debating about whether to make it a texture on the neck/armor, or to make it a seperate couple of polys attached to cloak

Hmm...I think using the shaders for reflection is a good idea. As far as everything else goes, I must say, the leather for the bodysuit is absolutely perfect. Wonderful job. Also, the codpiece looks pretty good already as well. The gloves should just be a different type of black leather (not quilted) texture. The belt will obviously be made up of a lot of different components. The legs are the same quilted leather as the rest of the bodysuit. However, don't forget the sometimes overlooked "shin armor" which were basically Vader's shinguards. They are an extremely glossy black, along the same lines as the dome of his helmet. I can't find any really great pics at this point in time, but they're out there. :)

i have an excellent source image for his shin guards

:) i will probably have to modify the end of his arms as sabo said though, because it is still made to look like quilted leather somewhat, won't be too hard to modify

the legs are actually open in a file in photoshop as i type and should be ready within a half hour or so

Excellent...glad you already have stellar references, Sithlord. I figured as much from your work so far, but I always like to try to help in some way since I don't have the tools or the talent to do what some people in the editing community do. I'm looking forward to seeing those legs. :vadar:

http://www.geocities.com/sithlordiii2001/vader_body5.txt

current front body shot

i see that i should lengthen the shins a bit, they might be too short

as well, good points there mr. spanky, i am trying to bring the chest box up a bit, if you look in the shows its not right on his chest, more towards the midsection - lower ribcage, etc.

i moved the belt up a bit too, and widened vader's torso and hips a bit, so he's taking more shape

:)

speaking as an artist, who has studied the human form extensively for the sake of my work, that is one of the more grossly disproportionate models ive seen. the head and arms are too small for the chest, the legs are too large for everything....the helmet is modeled extremly well....as are most of the other individual pieces, but none of them work together.

THE BAD

- the calves seem too fat and dont taper enough towards the ankle

-the model has practically no deltoid (shoulder muscle) mass, making his armpits extend too high

-what on earth is up with that enormous codpiece?

-the legs turn in just above the knees slightly (like they should) but then they go out again and practically straight down (see top issue)

-The arms could stand to be a bit longer. stand up straight and you should notice that your fingertips are closer to your knees than your hips

THE GOOD

+ the helmet model is extremly well done, at least as far as i can tell from this angle

+the skin textures are awesome. great work with the lighting, and capturing the actual look of his suit

+all of the pieces are fairly well modeled (save for the amr and leg problems i mentioned)

just pointing out what seems right and wrong to me. thought perhaps you might benefit from some artist's critisicm. if all you get is these people blowing smoke up your ass, then you wont know if you're doing anything wrong. the model can be better imho. i hope you dont take this too harshly...i just try to call it as i see it.

-Abs

Archived