Home

Vader... work in progress...

sithlord-II

If it was me making it, I would have a constant breathing sound for the skin if you can.

Some people in the past just made him breath when he jumps or whatever, but I think it would be better if he was breathing all the time.

As for when he dies? You know in ROTJ when him and Luke are dueling, and Luke kicks Vader down the stairs? That sound Vader makes would be good for his death sound.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

excellent pics there sabo, they will definitely help

need to make his torso a bit wider, he's like a brick sh*thouse and his body proportions, leg to upperbody is close to 50-50, i had it around 60-40 for legs to upper body, that makes him look too slender and less powerful

The head is indeed too small. The face mask looks perfect but the helmet is a little strange. Try resizing the top of the helmet... the sides of the helmet are more steep so if you make the top of the helmet(top and back of the skull) a lil bigger it may be just perfect.

The head in general is too small for the body. It makes him look like a pro football player.

You can make this one great dude... the hard part is already done(facemask). find pictures of a human body(front view) and try to get the porportions right... the continue shaping him into the dark lord we all want :)

If you need tips contact me. I'll be glad to help out. Everyone's waiting for your model dude... make it count :)

actually one thing i saw that needs to be done as you said riot is to widen the top of the helmet - the flange looks okay but the dome of the helmet is too narrow, as it is it is barely wider than the facemask itself

heh

i have a couple of days off work now so i'll try and put as much time into it as possible

thanks again for all your help guys, i definitely appreciate it and hopefully it will pay off in a good model for the community

and lucreto, i plan to have it finished and ready once we have the sdk of course, right now its useless until it can actually be imported. For now i'll just say its done when its done

;)

i would sooner have it turn out good than be an oddly-proportioned model with a crappy texturemap

and as for any other models, i'll wait and see once this one goes into the game, will probably try and make a custom jedi model or something, but thats after i can get vader in

Glad I could be of assistance, sithlord. You have, by far, the most anticipated model in this community, and I'm just glad I can help in any way that I can. By the way, if you're also going to make a model of Vader's lightsaber, I have GREAT reference pics of that, so I can send them to you if you want. Awesome work! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. :D

ok well i gotta run out for the nite but i have modified the size of vader's mask and helmet, the helmet is now looking better, i will post some shots of him tomorrow - i also redid his torso a bit so that it is now a bit stockier and shaped to have the armor included in the torso

and btw about vader's saber, natch

http://www.geocities.com/sithlordiii2000/vadersaber.txt

posted that back on the first page of this thread, but any reference images would be great, i already have alot of the sabre ones though

:)

that was done quickly in gmax (only program i have access to at work... i can only really work on vader at home... heheheh)

[JIT]Jedi i am using 3d studio r3 for modelling and adobe photoshop for texturing

hi dude

I was just wondering if you plan to sample Vaders voice to use as taunts for this fab model.?

EDIT: I only just noticed after posting this question that the very same had been asked a few posts before. :rolleyes: ...silly me.

I just have to mention again......GREAT model....mate. :atat:

It's looking good man.

Shading will be very important.

Good thing you are going to fix the body proportions, cause right now his head is way too small for his body.

Still, VERY VERY VERY nice. This is going to be an awesome skin my friend.

I would take a look at pics of his arms. It's a really detailed kind of leather that is also used for his legs as well. I am sure you'll be able to find pics for it. =)

That breathing sound in the link you posted is REALLY REALLY good.

Would you be able to make it so he is CONSTANTLY breathing?

My opinion is this: (take it as you will, meant to be constructive nonetheless)

In the picture i last saw not sure if you did another one up, just scanned through briefly...

Cons:

Head needs to be bigger (said you fixed this)

fingers need to be shorter

torso at the shoulders needs to be thinner (but not the arms)

legs need to be thinner (possibly shorter, but that may just be a trick of their pudginess (sp?))

Pros:

Arms look great

Textures look great

Head looks pretty good proportional to itself

in general looks very smooth (go check out my mandalor model and see how not smooth it is)

all in all, a few tweaks here and there, and this should be sweet.

got a bit of work in tonite on the model shape and on a bit of a new texture...

damn leather is tricky to get right, i think it looks okay now

http://www.geocities.com/sithlordiii2001/vader_body4.txt

the head might be a bit big now, and i havent modified the shoulders yet

the hands have been made smaller though

and i noticed that most images here have been killed by geocities

stupid free hosting.. heheh

if anyone wants any images reposted let me know and i'll get them back up again

sure, i'd like to make custom saber techniques but i will just wait and see, as well as custom taunts but i'll have to see how the animation system is dealt with in softimage

i had a simple little idea for a taunt where he'd point ahead at whatever he's facing - an enemy, the wall, r2d2, whatever, pointing his hand with each word as he says 'if only you knew the power ... of the dark side...' and making a fist at 'dark side'

The "leather look" on his stomech is PERFECT.

Although, that's the SAME leather texture you should use for his legs, and arms as well.

He had the same leather for all 3.

Very nice. =)

Just make sure Vader isn't too skinny. He's pretty big guy.

SDK!!!

i know about the leather

the stuff on the legs is merely placeholder

i made that texture up before i got my tablet, i'm gonna redo the legs and still have yet to do the arms

plus on his torso i need to texture the 'inner cloak' that comes down below his armor to the left and right on his torso

i've bulked vader up a bit, so that he isn't too skinny, tried using some images from prowse to get an idea for his frame then added onto it for the thickness of the suit

Archived