Home

I did the butterfly and I know how!

RpTheHotrod

I was fighting some shadowtroopers in single-player and decided to have some fun. I turned on god mode and was just playing around.

I ran up, almost touching them, did foward, jump, and attack at the same time with the medium stance, and my guy did the butterfly (NO, it ISN'T the one where you go high into the air and swing the saber down in a death from above fashion, it was THE butterfly)

I did it several times in a row over and over. I had my saber out and killed one of the reborn I went up against with it too.

In multi-player, I cannot seem to do it. :(

I took some randomly timed screenshots, I'll see if I found a good one.

If you want to try it, (I only did it vs other jedi characters) just turn on god mode and play around with them getting close and doing foward,attack,jump. I was very close though (kick range) and he didnt do the overswing thing like normal.

ALSO, I saw reborns doing cartwheels during the Jedi Academy invasion saber fights.

Happened to fast to get a screenshot.

[Edit - Stormy - spoiler tags engaged...although it's not much of a spoiler. ;) ]

Hey bro, sorry to break your bubble, but that's not the butterfly kick. That, is the overhead 180-flip move that you do to try to slice your opponents head in half. That is one of the easiest "combo" or whatever you want t ocall it, moves to pull off.

Originally posted by acgreen

Hey bro, sorry to break your bubble, but that's not the butterfly kick. That, is the overhead 180-flip move that you do to try to slice your opponents head in half. That is one of the easiest "combo" or whatever you want t ocall it, moves to pull off.

while it's true he MAY be mistaken, maybe you should learn to read, dudikoff

I think he might have really done it. i went into SP and played the ladder map

and i think i did it to. it didnt look like the 180 over the top hit their head flip thingy.

he had his legs spread out a lot more and he did a little twirle thing at the end before landed.

Hmm...

Is there a file in the game that holds all the saber and movement key sequences, and what animation to use for what? If there is, it could be a simple matter of checking them out..or re-binding some. Say making the nornal jump to the side, a cartwheel..for example. Perhaps I'm just ignorent of the Q3 engine, but I would have thought that all these moves would have to be bound-up in a file somewhere.

Anyway, just a thought.

When did they say that? I heard they never talked about it. I did however, heard it isn't possilbe in multiplayer. I can easily do it in single, but not multi.

BTW, it for the last time it ISN'T THE jump up and flip down death from above head slash whatever you want to call it move!

EDIT- People who have accidentally done the butterfly in single player said they THOUGHT they were doing the medium stance foward/attack/jump when they did it. Well, same thing happened to me today.

Raven replied the following

"No, those were never meant to be used, it was just a nice, little easter egg for SP. The Stances are not implemented in MP, and they're certainly not balanced for fair gameplay (these are Tavion and Desann's styles and have a speed and strength advantage, respectively)."

According to this the STANCES weren't supposed to be able to be used...but the butterfly and cartwheel was considered a little easter egg (the stances are now considered a cheat, since you have to type in a "cheat" code to enable them)

I did the cartweel twice in the ladder level while attempting the the 180 degree overhead flip attack. I dont have a screen cause I didnt know I was going to do it once and especialy not twice in a row. And its definately not the flip attack cause I went sideways, and didnt even attack any of the 5 reborns surrounding me. I also did not cross over any of thier heads. And besides. I have done the darth maul butterfly move in real life so I know how it works. Hehe, its not very easy in real life either LOL

Archived