Home

Saberstancess

Misa

Yes I tried to make a stupid joke with the title.

Is it just me or does it seem that many people think they are cool or l337 just because they can use heavy and overhead swing and do the the jumping saber attack? I am tired of being called a noob at dueling when all they do is those two moves. Even after I winnig a few duels using meduim and light stances, I am still called a noob for taking to long. Oh well I hope it is just the servers I have been on lately or the comumnity has gone downhill.

Okay rant over.

Some people are like that. I was accused of cheating today for batting someone out of the air with a heavy shot (they were just doing a regular heavy jump attack, not the DFA and I nailed him).

People are funny.

The best is being called 'Ghey' for killing someone, because they attack you, then get mad at you for attacking while they bow. So, I dropped my health to 20 as well (wasn't in the mood to argue) and we fight, and I drop him with a lunge in mid air (yes, you can do it in mid air people :) )

I give him a "Nice Fight" (even if it was only one pass) to be nice, and the fact that he did drop me to five health on that pass. I get back "You ghey assed $*@@&($%_ way to use a no skill move. Pansy hitting me while I'm bowing"

At the very least the people on the server stood up for me (they were still arguing with him about it by the time I'd lost the next fight to a skillfully done DFA (he did it good. not spamming it, but went into it as I tried jumping over him))

Best to just ignore the idiots and have fun :)

That's a really bad version of what happened up there :)

Anyhow, the fight starts and the guy comes running over at me with his saber drawn, so I roll away. He then extinguishes his saber as I'm charging with a heavy attack. I hit him, and he starts swearing at me, and says how I got him with a cheap shot and he's only at 20 health. So I sheathe my sword, tell him to stay still with his out, and hold myself against it until my health is at 20, then drop back and go "OK, we're even, lets go." He agrees, and we end up both going for an aerial attack. The lunge being the fast move it is fully hits and kills him, while he only hits me for 15 (dropping me to 5). I say Good fight, and I get the response described above.

Out of curiosity, was I at fault?

Originally posted by Misa

Yes I tried to make a stupid joke with the title.

Is it just me or does it seem that many people think they are cool or l337 just because they can use heavy and overhead swing and do the the jumping saber attack? I am tired of being called a noob at dueling when all they do is those two moves. Even after I winnig a few duels using meduim and light stances, I am still called a noob for taking to long. Oh well I hope it is just the servers I have been on lately or the comumnity has gone downhill.

Okay rant over.

I know what you mean... those Red Stance Users think they are the best... *lol* Really, i have a good example here fighting against one of those "winners"

I was at arround 20HP after getting hit by one of those Red Stance Swings. I turned my saber of and asked him if he has other skills than just doing his 2 Attacks. After that, my guess is he want to show his friend how "good" he is, we end up fighting in Blue Stance. After a Minute he was killed and I have still my 20 HP. The only thing those "winners" can do are those 2 Heavy Attacks with the Red Stance. And then they call themself Jedi's and saying that the use of the Red Stance is Skill.

I don't see any skill in doing this Jump Attack.

:lsduel:

Vagabond, I gotta partially disagree with you there.

The Death From Above technique CAN be used skillfully. I've seen it done that way, and I've used it that way. It's when it's spammed that it doesn't take skill, as eventually it's gonna hit.

I'll start some duels off with it to see if the other person is on his/her toes. On the Jedi Duel map (with the cliff) I'll do the DFA from on top of the cliff to the ground, I've caught someone with it because they weren't on guard and were just taunting me (didn't want to fall into a trap, didn't realize they already were :) ).

I've also seen it used in a counter of moves. This one guy, forget his name, was fighting someone in medium stance. He switched to heavy and swung diagonally. The guy jumped, and was doing some downwards attack, to which the person countered with the DFA (first time I'd seen them do it, and as the person was above him, I am sure he knew what he was doing)

It's like drain and the force stuff. Annoying and unskilled when spammed, but there are people out there who use it skillfully

There really is almost no skill involved in the red stance. However, I know people who are good with it and never use DFA. I always use medium stance, that takes some skill to master properly. I pretty much always win vs light and heavy. Timeing is everything with heavy. Light it's more avoiding the combo's then going in for a nice slice through their mid section. I enjoy medium VS medium fights the best. Personally I believe that stance is the best. DFA can be used skillfully, but it's rare that I see anyone using it in a skillful manner. Personally I find it overrated and easy to avoid. And it leaves them open to an attack if you can get behind them.

I am one of those people who sware when I get attacked with my saber retracted. When I do that I am unarmed or I want to begin a duel, or am going to a duel. It means no hostility. Personally I believe all people should follow that rule, it's just out of respect for the other player. Alas, most people are just trying to get any cheap kill they can.

Bowing is stupid, but I don't attack them when they are doing it, I show the same respect for people that I hope they will show me. If you want to get even more into the star wars universe and bow, well all the best to you. I do not think you should ever attack someone with their saber retracted, it's just so nice when players on a server respect one another.

i agree people who use the heavy must be able to time it properly or it is a useless swing and leaves them open to attack. Nothing wrong with using it but it can be easily countered. I haven't had much chance to play online but a couple things have become annoying to me. The alt fire on the repeater is real annoying especially when you dueling some1 and another person decides to interrupt by alt firing both of you with the gun. When i go after them all they do is altfire all around you. It is effective but not really gets on my nerves because it is usually newbies spamming. I never intentionaly attack people if they are idle and just standing there coz they maybe typing. Instead I usually stand in front of them and wait for them to finish and then fight them, maybe be stupid but when i play JK2 mp im try to improve my skills and have run rather than win, of course it is nice to win but havung fun is more important. The force grip is also annoying especially when people do it from behind and before you can hit the absorb button you have been thrown off the ledge.

Also what does bowing mean?

Misa,

I played a little and was spectator on different FFA-Duel No-Force servers last night. On two servers I spectated watching heavy-stance-Special-attack only users. They dominated both servers against some good players using ONLY the special attack. They had almost double the score of the next highest player. One player could do the special attack very close-in without jumping far....

The players who knew how to fight it would ultimately lose at the odds. Or would just get tired of running around for ten minutes and would finally take a risk and bump in to that bugged attack and die.

This was intended as a "finishing move", "Hard to hit with" not a kill everyone and anything move.

It is bugged and will most likely get fixed with patch or mod.

These bug exploiters will only succeed on no-force servers.

In the mean time Duel on Force and Sabre servers there is better balance there. Learn the way of the force. Use Protect and Heal to get in and hack them up. Sabre throw, speed, mind trick, push (not PULL) work as well.

As far as Non Force Dueling the game is still too new and unbalanced to enjoy without the fun ending in frustration.

:(

Something fun to do against those who spam the DFA is roll under them while they are in the air. It takes really good timing, as if you start it too late your dead. But if you do it right you can spin around as they land and just take a good ol wack at em :)

Personally I use medium stance against most people, i switch to heavy when my life gets low unless my opponent is using light stance. I also use heavy when my opponent is a constant healer/drainer.

I think that heavy is a stance that takes skill to use correctly, however when its done randomly its nothing more than luck.

Originally posted by enDless_Deliriu

Out of curiosity, was I at fault?

You were nicer then you needed to be IMO. I tend to agree to the whole no saber=don't attack idea, it's a nice way to let someone know your not fighting atm. But if someone charges you, then retracts their saber, they have no place to whine about getting hit. And then for you to lower your own life down to 20 to make things fair... That was truely honorable IMO.

I have found that this type of behavor is true in every game where it's player vs player. This also comes from about 6+ months of running the JK WoW's at BSC. There seems to be two basic theams involoved...

"I'm Soooo good the only way you could of beat me is by cheating" These people seem to honestly think they're so good, that they can't be beaten. So the only way they can lose is if someone else is cheating. Either that, or they do it to cheapen the victory someone else had just won, or perhaps they're trying to convence themselfs they're goddly with weapon/force X.

"UR a Ghay skilless n00b" These pepole don't seem to believe they're goddly but still feel a need to cheapen the victory of anyone else by calling them names. Typicaly the names don't even make sense... I just beat you so I'm a skilless newbie? And what does sexual preferance have to do with my playing ablity at JK2? ;)

Now sometimes they might even be right, anyone can spam the DFA attack and adventualy get in a kill. But it's not like getting killed in a FPS really hurts all that much, it doesn't lower your score. Luck is a factor in all games, so why people whine when someone else gets a lucky kill is beyond me. I know that at least a few kills I get every game are due to luck, no matter how skilled I am, luck will always be a factor.

It's like when someone uses the heavy stance and is called a newbie, this just doesn't make any sense to me. Yes there is a bug with the DFA, and yes you can run around using the headless chicken method to get a few kills. But the red stance is a effective way to fight, and IMO anyone who limits themself to only one stance, is missing out big time.

I hope it is just the servers I have been on lately or the comumnity has gone downhill.

First of all... hehehe the game hasn't been out long enough for it to have reached its peak! :D

Second, I think the community starts downhill and you have to push it up the hill. Most of this will be done when the temporary players take off for other pursuits and the die hards are left. When that day comes, there will be less whining and the standards will be accepted. The best you can do is play nicely yourself... always be curtious and accept your losses with as much grace as your wins.

Originally posted by enDless_Deliriu

Vagabond, I gotta partially disagree with you there.

The Death From Above technique CAN be used skillfully. I've seen it done that way, and I've used it that way. It's when it's spammed that it doesn't take skill, as eventually it's gonna hit.

It's like drain and the force stuff. Annoying and unskilled when spammed, but there are people out there who use it skillfully

I agree with you at this point. I have forgott to say in my last post that it's without skill when spammed. Using this techniques in the right Moment as finishing Move for example has more to do with Skill as when using it all the Time. But i still love the Medium Stance ;)

Also what does bowing mean?

Here's a diagram of bowing :violin:

I usually stay in medium stance, as it's the one that works best for me. I must admit I've crept into red and blue stances a couple of times for some variation.

:lsduel:

I also won't kill anyone who has their saber "sheathed" as long as they don't shut it off at the last second or they're attacking me with drain/lightning. I don't see how much skill's involved in killing someone who's "away." If they sit there for a while a Force Push followed by a taunt makes a good challenge.

:yobi:

Today I played someone who constantly used DFA, practically nothing else. Every time I just stepped to the side and counterattacked. Every time he went down. He couldn't say cheater or lamer or anything simply because it was over to quickly for him to comment.

I use DFA when I run out of patience. I'll take a good hack at him and then wait before using it again.

There really are too many 'headless chickens' though. I only use half the movement most people do and I can avoid most attacks with ease. Don't run from DFA, step just outside of his range and then get back in. With someone using a heavy swing right in front of me I don't even need to step backwards, I switch to light stance and pound it into him before he finishes.

Every stance has its use, my fav is still medium though. With medium you can deliver 2-4 strikes in about the time it takes for one heavy. Honest. You just slash left, don't finish, slash right, don't finish, slash left, etc... this way your character slashes very fast and this can take people down before they even have time to heal.

I gotta post on this subject its simply too tempting,

We all love this game right?

Well i gotta tell ya, there are far too many players cruising round the duel servers who use only one stance and one move.

Personally i think they are mad!!!

I played this dude the other day that could seemingly only do that mad red jump attack that seems to be loved so much. All I did was simply move a couple of steps out the way and let him wind it up again, no kidding this guy was a real comedian. He did this move probably 30 times before i could even be bothered to attack, maybe it was astonishment, I dont know. Eventually i just gave him a couple of licks with yellow stance and finished him off with a bit of blue stance. He went berserk, it was if he was God Almighty and that noone can beat him with this move.

To Me I think this guy is totally missing the point of the game, is it not about enjoying the game and all it's aspects (stances & moves).

Also on the topic of stances, I have noticed that most of the guys that only use that (is it DFA attack) nearly all seem to use the darkside powers, is this because they are of a dark nature I don't know. I hadn't noticed this until the moment a guy that was using this DFA used heal :eek: and it was a sound i had not associated with red stance players. Just seemed weird is all.

Anyways enough of my ramblings I'm off for a game,

Tata peeps

Jah Warrior H.o.D (Honour or Death)

Big respect to Red, Azz, Assassyn, Wurzi, Wobble and Watto

I must say that I stay in the red stance unless I'm forces to be in the middle of about 4 people attacking. My favorite strategy is to hang back in the background and attack when one of the people is more isolated, than I attack with a Diagonal red slash. Of course I always get called cheap when I use my favorite tactic, which is to knock 'em down with a force push or a swift kick then just tap forward and attack in red and kill 'em. Of course in medium I do just as well, when needed. I don't like the fact that I get too cocky in medium and start spinning wildly which results in me recieving a good whack from a red attack. I know red better than medium and so I use it more, and I live longer.

Call me unskilled or not, I'm good in red and I'm sticking to it.

I am surprised not many people use the blue stance attack,

when crouching down and doing the uppercut swing, from that swing you can follow up, if you hit, with an additional 2-3 attacks very very fast, takes them out in no time.

I use the red stance pretty much. But mostly the swings and only in the beginning of a fight. I switch very frequently between all stances, as they are all good if used correctly. The most powerful is the medium style though. You have 4-5 combos that goes quick and finishis up in a 360 arc swing that deals more damage than most red stance attacks.

The DFA attack is good if used correcty, but on numerous occations I excuse my self for using it, as it is rather lame.

I normally use it when oportunity arrives.

To take some one out who uses the DFA, just when they jump, make a swing in red stance, side step, and at the time they land, your swing will hit them in the back. Most annoying for them.

My favorite attack is the jump attack from yellow stance, when you do the jumping dive attack towards their legs.

After doing that you are offbalance for some time, so many people think, but what you can do here is an additional kick attack. After that yellow stance attack, if you are close to opponent, jut do a jump back and you will automaticly kick them.

Is nice and deals quite a blow.

Otherwise, I just love the kick attack, to kick them down, then follow up with a red swing to finish off. Abet cheap, but just to prove the point that they will need to move when I come rushing.

Anyway, all stances are good. The back attack from blue stance is easier to get in than you think. Especially in a wild goose chaze where you are swinging heavily at eachother. Swich to blue after a cirkle, back and attack, and voilla, ..do a small jump before, and you will jump backwards performing a blue stance backwards attack that deals quite a punch. It definately wil make your opponent go...WTF...

Very good game...

I saw the true power of the medium stance thrust today in a Tournament match (IGL No Force).

I did it to my opponent, and it hit him like four times and dropped him in one go (he'd just died a bit ago so had full health). The thrust hit him, going up it hit him twice, then it almost looked like my guy just bopped him in the head with the saber for the finishing blow. Maybe I double clicked attack or something, but I have a lot more respect for that thrust now..and I had it as a main part of my arsenal before then too.

Heavy unskilled? Gimmie a break. If you don't like it, learn to defeat it. I can counter 'DFA' EVERY TIME, as long as I'm ready for it. The difference between 'skilled' and 'unskilled' is that 'skilled' will be able to beat you without spamming the move. Occasionally I'll be asked to fight without heavy, and I'll still beat em. So either get better, or stop whinning.

Archived