Home

Jedi Outcast vs. Medal of Honour

Toa Tahu

Jedi Outcast vs. Medal of Honour  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Jedi Outcast vs. Medal of Honour

• Jedi Outcast
    • Medal of Honour

You think 92% is a low mark, you gotta be kidding right?

The lightsaber in JO is dead dead fun maing the other weapons pretty redundant unless needed (ie, disruptor for sniping), and in SP when you get saber defence level3, it gets a bit boring being able to reflect most shots back to the shooter.

MOH however has a more 'epic' feel to it, especially the omaha beach level it feels like you're part of something bigger, it is annoying when being tagged by snipers that are really really well hidden but its all part of what a sniper is supposed to do, I mean he/she isnt going just sit in the open and make it plainly obvious where they are, are they?

Theres no real direct comparison to the 2 games (bar both being FPS game and you both control humans) so its a pretty useless poll, would kinda on the same lines as "who would win, a guy with a lightsaber or a guy mp40, if it was set in the 1940s on omaha beach, and bacta tanks" (ie it makes no sense whatsoever)

:)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Toa Tahu

Heh,this will sooner or later be a trend for JK2ers,or rather be banned by the mods or the admins.

Anyway,this thread,as I saw,at PCG108(U.K.),saw that MOHAA got 95%,and JO only got 92%.I just wonder why,when they used 6 pages to post something and then give such low marks.

When compared to JO,MOHAA is just pure shooting.Nothing else but shooting.Do you get to use the saber?Do oyu get to choke someone?No right?Then how did it ever get 95%?Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hard to say, MOH:AA multiplayer is fun, the single player is ludicrously short though. I literally beat it in under 24 hours, at least 8 of which was sleep. JK2 took me 2 weeks, in comparison. I was not RUSHING through either. AS to MOH:AA just shooting, not really, you can ot to sneak past an enemy in most parts, though I always shot them. Because of the shortness I was dissatisfied with MOH:AA [since being 56K I mostly play single], I was happy with JO, though it was no marathon. I just picked up Ruins of myth dranon, so far I am pissed, it took me forever to figure out why my mage could npot cast spells, apparetnly someone felt traditional D&D INT was not the prime req for a wizard any more. Grrr....................Rasafrackin charisma, who ever heard of a charismatic, chaotic evil mage? Bah!!!!!!

As to Dues Ex, missed that one, and since it uses a certain pain in the ass engine, intend to miss the second one as well. :) SS2, I still play til this day, that game owns, crappy graphics, worst netcode and all.

Originally posted by NerfYoda

Personally I didn't get any bad performance in MOHAA. I'm kindof a sucker for wargames though, so that may contribute to why I feel MOHAA has nicer atmosphere... :) But really, Nar shadda vs Omaha Beach. Who do you think would come out on top in terms of atmosphere?

... that really is the question, isn't it ...

Saber combat / Force Powers aside, 15 hours gameplay vs. 8 aside, if your answer to the above question is Omaha, you are bound to prefer MoH:AA. If it is Nar Shadda, JKII.

Personally, I was disappointed when I finished the Nar Shadda levels, I really enjoyed them ... but I also liked Bespin, and on and on ...

As for design, both games are extremely linear, but try to look otherwise. For me, I thought that MoH:AA showed its' linearity through the compass - worse yet, if you follow the compass too closely, instead of following corners you can easily run into 'the end of the world'. In JKII I did that in the swamp once or twice, but not otherwise.

Mike

As to Dues Ex, missed that one, and since it uses a certain pain in the ass engine, intend to miss the second one as well.

Alllllright but there is just wayyyyy too much interesting gameplay to be had, its like a Role Playing FPS...its just too awesome. Its also from the heyday of the multiple endings, which I always appreciated... (c'mon, Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive had SEVEN endings... I wish it worked on my current comp :()

Hmm lets see, two different games but on their own merits i guess Jedi Outcast is better. MOHAA's omaha beach captured everyone because everyone already new the story behind it. Jedi Outcast had to make its storyline pretty much from scratch. Jedi knight single player captured you in the epic saber battles where you can expect that sort of thing where in Medal of honour you want massive co operative running through places with AI killing people, well the first mission everyone dies and apart from runnign up the beach, where you ahve to do everything yourself still (bangalores) when you get to the trench they are like, run ahead and kill eveyrone while we sit here and have a cup of tea. Jedi Outcast, Luke skywalker does something, hell thanks to the spawning cheats you can play every mission co operative with either luke skywalker or a bunch of troops to make the best atmosphere.

I first played MOh multiplayer and thought wow, ide get the axis rifle and kill all the Machine gun whores :p . Like i said i thought WOW. Then i got jk2, played MP and the new line of WOW was met. I tried going back to MoH, i found it boring, annoying, and also how unbalanced the guns are. Jedi Knight 2 is a much more balanced game in my opinion.

So to conclude, both games are great for what they are, but i think Jedi Outcast is a much more fun game, and interesting to play.

But then thats my opinion.

Originally posted by Vestril

As to Dues Ex, missed that one, and since it uses a certain pain in the ass engine, intend to miss the second one as well.

Alllllright but there is just wayyyyy too much interesting gameplay to be had, its like a Role Playing FPS...its just too awesome. Its also from the heyday of the multiple endings, which I always appreciated... (c'mon, Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive had SEVEN endings... I wish it worked on my current comp :()

Besides the fact that this is a MoH vs JO thread, not everyone 'got' Deus Ex - I know I didn't get into it. I played the demo a bit, and never even finished that.

That is why 'best ever' type things are so subjective. For me, JKII is 'best ever', for others it is Half-Life or Deus Ex or MoH:AA or some other FPS ... and that is just in the FPS world. For me, a mediocre FPS is better than a first-class RTS or RPG or other strategy or sim or whatever. FPS is my thing, saber is my weapon ... JKII is my game:D

Mike

I have put countless hours into both SP and especially MP for Jedi Outcast.

I stopped playing MOHAA as soon as I beat SP.....it just wasnt fun enough for me.

(Also JO looks, as well as runs much more smoothly than MOH did.)

And I think the atmosphere in JO was incredible at points. The laser fire, the humming of my saber, Lando running along side me blasting Rodians... great Star Wars feel to it. But I do guess that MOHAA had a better atmosphere, JO's atmosphere is superb anyway, and due to all its other plusses, JO comes out on top for me. (RTCW got owned by these too, no? :) )

MOHAA's multiplayer is better to some extent. Right now the only fun mode of JK2 multi is duel, and until a saber patch is realased, it's just plain repetitive (run around spining...).

MOHAA's single player is better in a way. You really feel like in a movie like Saving Private Ryan when you are playing MOHAA. Even with no cutscenes, it's still very fun, especially the missions where you disguise as a german.

JK2 singleplayer has one problem. It relies too heavily on the puzzle system. It has TOO MANY puzzles and not enough action.

Also, the cutscenes in JK2 is just plain ugly... I mean the kisses.... eww....

Originally posted by WhiteChedda

As to Dues Ex, missed that one, and since it uses a certain pain in the ass engine, intend to miss the second one as well. :) SS2, I still play til this day, that game owns, crappy graphics, worst netcode and all.

Deus Ex's engine is Unreal and works fanastic for the game - the AI is pretty good and the levels are large and immersive - and you can move just about any object. The level of interactvity in Deus Ex suprasses any game to date - and the ways to accomplish something is just as diverse. It has a very high replay value.

I highly recommend grabbing Deus Ex for probably the best SP experience you'll ever have.

Originally posted by Raynaga

MoH all the way.

You people say JO is one of the best games ever, but stop being blinded by the glow of that lightsaber for five seconds and realize you have a true example of mediocrity. The levels are poorly designed, the plot paper-thin, and the weapons (aside from the saber) are a joke. Multiplayer JO is Quake Star Wars-ified, while MoH has immersive team elements that make its multiplayer something actually worth playing.

--R--

Um .. actually MOH:AA's multiplayer is very weak.

Just about everything you've said is the opposite.

I can't even begin contradicting you - basically MOH:AA = sniper (omaha map) shotgun, rocket, and grenade fest.

JO has so much more I woudn't know where to start - such as multilevel maps, things you can do with maps - trash compactors, elevators, breakable glass (that really does break), Ghoul 2, secondary fire weapons, force, lightsaber.

Ugh... go play your MOH:AA and I'll have fun with a game with true MP - Jedi Outcast. :)

Originally posted by Vestril

Deus Ex...I don't think that anything can compare to that, hopefuly Deus Ex 2 will. That game was simply...too cool for words.

I was lucky enough to borrow MoHAA from a friend because that game pretty much bored me to the point of not being able to finish it. Some of the environments were pretty spectacular and the Omaha beach thing was moderately cool but it just couldn't keep my interest...

It must be the Sci-Fi thing - at least for me.

Deus Ex and JO are very Sci-Fi and have a bunch of ways to do things - they also make you think.

I guess those who prefer MOH:AA would rather point and aim instead of making an analysis of their situation. :p

Originally posted by CM_Third

I first played MOh multiplayer and thought wow, ide get the axis rifle and kill all the Machine gun whores :p . Like i said i thought WOW. Then i got jk2, played MP and the new line of WOW was met. I tried going back to MoH, i found it boring, annoying, and also how unbalanced the guns are. Jedi Knight 2 is a much more balanced game in my opinion.

So to conclude, both games are great for what they are, but i think Jedi Outcast is a much more fun game, and interesting to play.

But then thats my opinion. [/b]

You aren't alone. Most personal and web site reviews would easily the replay value in JO exceeds MOH:AA.

MOH:AA gets really boring after dealing with the respawning enemies in SP. Multiplayer is beyond a joke with massive clipping issues, extremely limited movement, almost no voting system, and the complete lack of diversity in server options for weapons, etc.

Originally posted by txa1265

Besides the fact that this is a MoH vs JO thread, not everyone 'got' Deus Ex - I know I didn't get into it. I played the demo a bit, and never even finished that.

You should consider the full version. After the first mission Deus Ex gets very interesting. It not only feels like a game, but like you are zapped into a movie and interacting with every part of it. Quite amazing stuff.

How Deus Ex plays is entirely up to you - there are tons of skill enhancements, huge amount of inventory items, augmentations, and then how you deal with each person you meet, the environment around you, the paths you take, etc. You can go guns blazing, sneak around, interact, find secret entrances or hacks, or find even more methods to accomplish goals that you wish to set for yourself.

I love it how you can drink too much and get drunk or if you smoke too much it kills you. :)

Originally posted by NewBJedi

You should consider the full version. After the first mission Deus Ex gets very interesting. It not only feels like a game, but like you are zapped into a movie and interacting with every part of it. Quite amazing stuff.

How Deus Ex plays is entirely up to you - there are tons of skill enhancements, huge amount of inventory items, augmentations, and then how you deal with each person you meet, the environment around you, the paths you take, etc. You can go guns blazing, sneak around, interact, find secret entrances or hacks, or find even more methods to accomplish goals that you wish to set for yourself.

I love it how you can drink too much and get drunk or if you smoke too much it kills you. :)

Thanks for the tip ... I might just pick it up at some point. I have the luxury of (or being old enough to ) having a few dollars around for stuff I want to do like this.

On a side note, how pointless is a thread on a JK2 based forums asking which is better, Jedi Outcast or some other game...

Its like asking on planetMOH which is the meaner nazi officer, the RTCW one or the MOH one ...errrrrr?!

How about "JO vs licking plant pots" poll?

Originally posted by skankyhoe

On a side note, how pointless is a thread on a JK2 based forums asking which is better, Jedi Outcast or some other game...

Its like asking on planetMOH which is the meaner nazi officer, the RTCW one or the MOH one ...errrrrr?!

How about "JO vs licking plant pots" poll?

As for the poll - absolutely agree. But the interesting point here - as on PlanetMOH or PlanetWolfenstein - is the discussion and the idea exchange.

It makes you think ... I thought I liked MoH:AA about the same as RtCW - yet I've played most of RtCW again, and repeated some parts again and again ... but MoH:AA I've tinkered with a couple of times since beating it, but not much.

... JKII, on the other hand, has been in my CD drive for nearly a month ...

Mike

PC Gamer UK reviewed the game about 2 months before it went gold. The only reason they gave it 92% was because if they didn't no-one would ever give them world exclusive reviews ever again.

Look at their sister magazine, Edge. Reviewed the game about 3 months later and gave it a pitiful 4/10.

I think 4/10 is a bit harsh, maybe 6/10 would be fairer. JO suffered from appalling level design, an incredibly dull first 3 levels (the levels where you're supposed to be drawing the player in, not discourage them from continuing!) and the worst selection of guns ever.

MOH:AA lacked a decent plot but the levels where varied, fun and well thought out. Multiplayer is pretty fun too. Not worth 95% (perhaps 90%) but still waaaaay better than JO.

Originally posted by txa1265

As for the poll - absolutely agree. But the interesting point here - as on PlanetMOH or PlanetWolfenstein - is the discussion and the idea exchange.

It makes you think ... I thought I liked MoH:AA about the same as RtCW - yet I've played most of RtCW again, and repeated some parts again and again ... but MoH:AA I've tinkered with a couple of times since beating it, but not much.

... JKII, on the other hand, has been in my CD drive for nearly a month ...

Mike

I've not touched RTCW since completing it, still hacking my way through MOH on hard (so takes a while for frequent "ARRRGH" timeouts :)) and JO gets played when I fancy a bit of multiplayer fun and the SOF2 beta (random mission mode) when I need reminding what the game of the year (imo) will be :) and on top of that, its just fun :D

One of the missions that I'll do again is the Omaha beach level, just for the "feel" of it. Cant think of anything on RCTW that stood out as it were. I'll have to say that the one thing I enjoyed about JO single player was the Tavion fight, you have a fairly low set of force powers and have just the normal style (and if you dont use speed) its a challenging fight = fun.

If you all are looking for a good WWII shooting game, dont go out and spend 60 bucks on MOH, downlad DayofDefeat, its a mod for Half-life or Counter strike, and many MOH players that have tried DOD, have rated DOD much better then MOH :p

You are right but the majority of easy-play gamers like the simplicity of just running around and killing people doom style. they do not like the complexity of having to figure out all of the force powers and the saber strategies. point shoot games are the best for them i guess.

don't get me wrong, I think that you are absolutely right in that JO is amazing. It is one of the best games that I have ever played in my life, but some people just can't grasp it

Archived