Home

Coop mod, how?

Tzar Sectus

I'm wondering how you're planning to code this mod. The only source which is going to released is the MP part, so are you planning to use that as basis? I assume the MP source don't have things like the Icarus script language and NPC AI, are you reprogramming those into the game?

-Remi

We already got the code to read the icarusscripts, and we can use them in the multiplayer code. The hardest part is adjusting the AI. So basically we are implementing all the single player stuff in multiplayer. TheSnerd, correct me if I am wrong :)

Well, I guess programming the AI wouldn't be much of a problem anyway. JO seriously doesn't have any great AI... except for the Reborn, they aren't that stupid. You'd also have to modify the lightsabre fighting to work like it does in SP as well.

Are you guys going to release the source code for this when it's done? I had plans to make some neat SP mods for JO, but my dreams became shattered when I heard about the evil news that Raven isn't going to release the full SP SDK. So having something like this would be totally terrific.

-Remi

When the co-op mod is released, we plan to release the source code as well. We may consider helping other teams by providing some working versions that will allow them to test their single player modification. However, this will not happen if you don't have a decent team and already a lot of content. This is something we need to discuss when a team asks us for it. Source release after coop release yes, help during co op process, maybe.

As for the part about modifying the light saber. That may not be doable for the same reason it isn't there now in multi-player. Raven claims it to not work because of internet lag. IE: You can't hit things properly, so we may not be able to do much with that.

- Vorax

As for the part about modifying the light saber. That may not be doable for the same reason it isn't there now in multi-player. Raven claims it to not work because of internet lag. IE: You can't hit things properly, so we may not be able to do much with that.

Well, looking at this realistically, the only thing which is required to send in multiplayer (in the lightsabre duels) is whether or not the player has the attack button pressed. Everything else should be possible to predict in the local code. I think this excuse Raven made up is pretty weak, I've seen parts of JO which is obviously poorly programmed, I'd think this is just another example of that.

Well, that's just my opinion. I hope you guys will somehow manage to recreate the lightsabre duels.

-Remi

We'll see. Don't forget that Raven had to code to do decent sabre battle, and they modified it for multiplayer. That takes time and effort and costs money. There must be a reason why they decided to do so.

There may be many reasons, the original SP code (if that indeed was the original) is dueling against an NPC and not a player, something like that may be required to be rewritten when it comes to player-against-player. Perhaps it was rewritten because the original fighting had an insane amount of random elements which would end up with more information sent to other players, so they simply cut away some features. Another interesting thing is that we have no idea if the SP swordfighting was the original code... perhaps they made the MP fighting first, and then did the SP bit... and didn't bother enhance the MP fighting.

All in all, I refuse to believe that it was impossible for Raven to enhance the MP fighting because of "much lag"... that sounds like a bad excuse.

-Remi

Speaking of helping other Teams, does TheSnerd think he can help out LivingDeadJedi with a little problem he's run into while making "Duel Of The Fates Map." The problem has to deal with the func_rotate command and how Living can get the shields to rotate, but they spin like crazy... and he needs them to be on like a timer, so when they rach a point they turn on, then after so many seconds, they turn off, and rotate to allow the person to pass.. that kind of thing, raven says it can't be done with the current code. so I was wonder if TheSnerd could write a script to correct it possibly..

Raven took the sourcecode of SoF2 to build the SP game (light saber system, and other things). A few months later they took the original code again and started to work on the MP part. So SP is the original, MP just an "imitation".

As for lags, I think this actually is a excuse. You don't know how the light saber is coded, so it's likely that there are a lot of "random" stances in there. And if so, it wouldn't be possible to just send the server the information that mouse button 1 has been pressed....

Moreover, enemy AI and other script will probably require a lot of bandwith, too. So I really don't think that TheSnerd will implement the SP lightsaber code -- which he doesnt' have by the way.

Concering the problem with the map I don't think that a script would help. If that entity is buggy, it would require a change in the code. And that would make the map a mod. Right?

As for lags, I think this actually is a excuse. You don't know how the light saber is coded, so it's likely that there are a lot of "random" stances in there. And if so, it wouldn't be possible to just send the server the information that mouse button 1 has been pressed....

Right and wrong. Yes, the MP sabre fighting seems to be totally random. Although I've studied the SP sabre fighting, and that one is *not* random, the strike which emerges all depends on where you look, where you move, and where you stand according to the nearest opponent. That's the only factors, I've never even once seen a move which came out random.

And besides, even if I'm wrong, how should it develop so much more lag? Instead of sending a boolean variable (button pressed or not) an int has to be sent (which move is performed), is that so much more bandwidth??? As I see it, the current MP code may actually produce more sabre lag than what a proper SP sabre code would produce.

Moreover, enemy AI and other script will probably require a lot of bandwith, too. So I really don't think that TheSnerd will implement the SP lightsaber code -- which he doesnt' have by the way.

You have a good point there, depending on how they program it the AI may produce immense lag. Since a whole bunch of variables will have to be sent about each actor. Though, if they're smart they'll work around that (afterall, old games such as Doom even had a small easy workaround for that problem). But then again, in comparison the sabre fighting would be insignificant in lag production, since it would at most be sending something like 16 bits extra. While the AI would send... well, an enormous amount.

Heck, if Wired Lamp releases that source code when they're finished, I'd like to take a go on making that sabre code, it shouldn't be that hard.

-Remi

Archived