Home

Duels - Dying by the saber...

Dibbz

I love playing duels multiplayer. Its fun and force makes it great! The whole sabers flying and clashing is quite cool. Anyway today while playing on a server I found myself playing someone who liked using his drain and lightening a lot. He liked it so much that he killed everyone using this. Not to complain a lot but isn't the whole point of dueling is to die by someone elses saber. I had to literally attack him with no regard to my defense in order to get him to even swing his saber. Of course I used absorb and considered drain (which is probably the best counter to this, but I didn't use it). Now this isn't to complain about Force Lightening or Drain. I just want to know isn't kind of unhonorable (I couldn't think of any other word) not to kill someone in a duel without using a lightsaber. Just an opinion. What do you guys think?

You should play NF duels.

Takes out a lot of the lamers.

People are actually forced to use their sabers.

The majority of players I see have no idea how to use a saber, they look for the absolute cheapest possible way to kill someone and whore it.

I would not describe 90% of the player I play against as honorable.

Myself the only force powers I use are Absorb, Protect and Heal.

I don't understand the people who run around pushing all day, or choking people.

I guess they say if its in the game they are gonna use it. Sadly they are to worried about whoring one move they never bother to learn to use a saber.

I get no satisfaction out of pushing someone of a cliff, or other whore powers(as I refer to them)

I have yet to see anything that resembles my definition of honor in a multi-player game.

Heavy stance, DFA, bunnyhoppers, draining whores..

IMHO the problem isn't the imbalance of powers, the overpowered moves or anything like that. The problem is people who don't play the game like they know it should be played.

If someone keeps rolling all day long, it gets annoying. Whether or not you are able to kill him is beside the point. You should play the game in a way that is fun for the other as well. F.ex if I manage to kill a certain player 8 times in a row with grip (he doesn't know how to counter it or something), I really don't feel like doing the same thing the ninth time...or all night.

That is *not* fun.

Drain is the darkside version of heal, which lightsiders use a fair bit. Grip is a fave because Vader made it so, as did Palpatine for lightning (I wonder if he has that yet in the new trilogy?). I just started with multiplayer (and so far, I suck), and I started with the 'movie powers'. I've wised up a bit since, of course. Force powers are the other thing from the lightsaber that make the game a SW game, so I don't care for NF servers. However...

Fewer force points. Less power.

I'm not sure which level it is, maybe jedi, but there should be enough points for saber attack/defence/throw and jump, and maybe a few points left over for the other basics. Otherwise, it just wouldn't be as much fun.

if you reduce the force-level to jedi you can have some really great duels. Anyone who wants to twin drain with something has to lose out on the 'prentice powers or the duelling ones, so it evens things out. Also means lightsiders have to choose between, full absorb/full heal or having lesser versions of both. It's the way to go for fresh and interesting sabre combat!

Originally posted by Tree

You should play NF duels.

Takes out a lot of the lamers.

People are actually forced to use their sabers.

I dont agree,

Because with no force, I cant kick them in the face which is a great counter against heavy mode sabers :)

And it looks great :)

kicking is fun

I agree, even on CTF or TFFA (the other two gamemodes i play alot) i dont like anything over Jedi Knight (dont take it for whining, i love EVERY PART of this game, and jedi master force level is fun in its own right)

:violin:

aww poor babies. this kind of complaining gets old.

i don't get any satisfaction from pushing someone off a ledge.

c'mon, that's what makes this game different from every other fps out there. the force powers are the entire point of the game, if you want to just club each other with sabers, go play rune. although at least you guys have the decency to play nf, and not sit in ff games and whine.

and i hate the idea that a lot of you have that just because someone uses force powers, they can't fight with their saber. i personally look for the easiest way to kill an opponent at any given opportunity...be it a push, kick, grip/drop, or saber slash to the head, etc... why should i run halfway across the map to kill you with my saber, when you were dumb enough to jump into the air in a wide open area, and i can simply pull you into the pit. its called common sense. so many ppl have called me a wh0re only to watch me kick their ass time and time again with the saber. (when someone whines about me, i hunt them down saber only at least 5 times in a row, just to prove a point..hehehe)

all i'm saying is that being good with the saber is invaluable, but being good with the saber and the force is the complete package, and will make you a better player. so next time when you see someone who's fallen over 2 inches from a ledge, go ahead and give em a free ride...you'll like yourself better in the morning.

ender.

Anyone who espouses a single style over another isn't thinking straight. The beauty of JK2 is that there are so many ways to kill another player. I prefer to use whatever will do the job. However, I get bored with myself and others when I/they kill using only one method. There's too many possibilites to get stuck in a rut using any one method all of the time. Why should using the saber only to kill be any more honorable than using the force powers only??

:confused:

Jedi Master sabre only duels are so stupid. Not only do they sometimes take 30 minutes for a kill (thx maxed heal) people just whore powers and finish with a cheap move. I was dueling my friend on a server witht those rules and he pulled everylame move in the book. Opened with drain (which takes your force so fast your lucky if you reach your hot key with 50%) then just chokes you out, you land on his head, then he baseball bats you. No skill at all. Of course we fight about this all the time but next time we fight each other its on a NO FORCE duel server where people cant whore the darkside.

My take on this is that anyone who is complaining should take the time to work out counters for these Force powers that they find so annoying.

Anyway, here's my main point: I find that a lot of the people doing the complaining are lightsiders whining about drainers - drainers who have shown enough initiative to prevent their lightside opponent whoring Heal. I think its funny reading these forums, seeing all the so-called 'honorable' lightsiders who obviously use the Heal power every time they get hit. (honorable?this is a power which, unlike lightening, grip, push etc. hasn't even appeared in the movies.), only to be thwarted when someone prevents them doing this using drain. These people then proceed to call drain a cheap power when, in my opinion, Heal is up there alongside it as the cheapest power to use.

I play both Light and Dark, mostly Dark. First few duels i try to use mainly neutral force, but if my opponent persists in Healing EVERY TIME i hit him, then there's not much else i can do besides use drain. After a few minutes of me preventing him from using his beloved Heal, he calls me cheap. Usually i just reply with a 'lol'. But if he keeps nagging me about it i say 'OK if u don't use heal i won't use drain'. If he agrees to this i will almost certainly beat him, as he relies solely on Heal to keep him alive.

Just an example, but a very common one of a whining lightsider.

I put up with anything my opponent can throw at me. I'm not saying i'm a great player, but to me it's obvious - if someone is whoring drain, go darkside and get the drain on them first. Or use absorb. Easy as that.

Personally i prefer NF duels, it prevents all this chat about unbalanced force etc. Why talk about it here when you could be playing!?!

Damn, contradicted myself! Whoa, that turned into an essay.

PS. in my opinion the better saberist will always win in the long run, no matter what force mastery is used. it's worked for me - at first i concentrated on force power combinations, but after a while i noticed that my saber skill was poor. I worked on this, and my game has improved 100% because of it. Try it, you may be surprised to see that i'm correct. Actually, so will i.

bye

I don't have a problem with drain or heal in other gametypes, but I think they are really cheap in duels. They are the main reason for me playing duel on NF servers only. NF is fine, but without jump I can't kick people in the face.

It is possible to disable only certain force powers with g_forcePowerDisable, but the variable is bugged right now and you'll end up disabling jump as well as any powers you want to disable. When it gets fixed, I'd like to see no drain/heal duel servers and neutral power only servers... maybe even jump and saber powers only.

Archived