Home

*SPOILERS..sigh* What was really wrong with EP 1 your thoughts

Sirus

Originally posted by Vestril

What is the quote? Arguing on the internet is like playing in the Special Olympics, it doesn't matter who wins, you're all rearted.

Nice one, Pestril.

And, uh, Sartori... each time you post...it only makes you look like more of an idiot. Perhaps you should just be quiet.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but i dont get worked up at all.

pointless? perhaps but if it amuses me, its free entertainment.

i usually enjoy it as an intellectual activity, and i was often told (by my father) "you'd argue with a post, dig it up and argue with the hole wouldnt you?"

i dont start flame wars, but as long as its interesting i dont back away from the gauntlet either.

Chastan, is that the best you can do?

Gee your maybe your right, your just to easy to hit to be any fun

well you have to realize that the lightstaff thingie isnt even really a staff. since you hold it in the middle you can only spin it around and slash with it. you would not be able to do a type of fencing lunge with it which count dooku uses to own two jedi (not naming who). also the parry and countering aspects of it would be somewhat weakened. the only way to effectively block the two opponents coming from opposite sides would be to spin the staff quickly(very quickly) behind you and infront of you. this COULD be taken to an offensive level if you are good enough but the likelyhood of someone interrupting your swing then toasting you would be very high.also this lightstaff does not have an advantage of range(because it is a normal length lightsaber just with another one connected to the hilt). therefore the only advantage this saber would have would be in spinning the saber (or throwing it). i would LOVE to see Count Dooku Vs. Darth Maul.. my god maul would get slaughtered so hardcore... and, caldera if the blades weigh nothing.. then why arent all the jedi running around with huge blades? and if not the jedi then why not the sith? if a blade is bigger but weighs nothing then there can be no disadvantages. i would just connect 4 lightsabers into one hilt... if there is no additional weight then increasing the blade surface means greater probability of hitting right... if this were the case then everyone would be running around with uber sabers.

My ignorance has been ruined!! I just downloaded this fan film of Lightsaber fighting...and thanks to this new level of awareness it was horrible...there were litereally dozens of points where one enemy or the other could have very easily wrecked the other...I almost hesitate to watch the real movie to see the combat ruined in my eyes...

*runs off in the corner and sobs*

If you have a 10 foot lightsaber the powersupply would have to be enourmous. If you have read the starwars encyclopedia, a lightsaber is a closed energy loop. So, if you want 10 feet x2 of energy OUTSIDE the batterypack, you still need enough juice in there to keep the loop going. This isnt even mentioning if you hit another lightsaber or object with it. It would simply run out of power WAY too fast. I am sure the current lenght of lightsabers is used for a reason, it is the most efficient and most wieldly of the possibilites.

PS. I'd love to see you use your 10 foot lightsaber in a starship or some sort. You would chop the thing to pieces and kill yourself faster than your oppenet would hope of doing.

Wow, first of all I really liked TPM.

Bearing in mind I'm old enough to remember seeing the OT at the cinema I was really sceptical when it came out. At first I didn't like it, then I sat with my 5 yr old son to watch it on DVD and he absolutely loved it. Maybe as much as I loved ANH *gets all dewy eyed*.

He loved Jar Jar. He loved the pod race. He loved Maul. Maybe guys and gals, and I know this is hard for us, but maybe, it wasn't really meant for us!

Maybe Star Wars is a story for kids!

I was a kid when I watched the OT, but I'm 30 now. Maybe Star Wars hasn't changed, maybe we have!

When I had this revelation, I forgave Mr Lucas for everything. It is a great kids Sci Fi movie, that even has some cool stuff for us too.

On the sabre vs staff issue, and realism vs Hollywood.

It is a film.

To have a discussion about what is or isn't realistic about two made-up weapons wielded by men with made-up superpowers is instantly self defeating. A film should be entertaining, and I would rather watch a flashy exciting fight than Olympic fencing. I completely respect the guys who have the knowledge of sword fighting who have posted, but c'mon, I was stuffing popcorn down my neck like crazy in that fight! It was without doubt the most exciting sabre duel so far in all of the films.

Ok 'nuff said, and I really should get out more

;)

Tyto

LOL I just found this opinion from the the Star Wars Galaxies forum, and i almost fell off my chair laughing so hard!!! LOL!!!! Here goes:

I was prepared to watch TPM by enjoying it as a Star Wars film. But each time one of the Jar Jar scenes or pieces of horrible dialogue came, it was like your car hit a deep pothole.

*Jar Jar destroys 5 droids by falling on his ass*

CHA-CHUNG

Are you an angel?

CHA-CHUNG *growls at that pothole*

My caring for you will remain.

CHA-CHUNG

*The car's wheel is obliterated and the car goes careening into a shallow ditch*

LOL! Those sum up my thoughts pretty nicely ^_^

I think Tyto hit the nail on the head. The Phantom menace is supposed to be the 1st film. If in 4 years time you watched all 6 movies from begining to end i reckon you'd see the saga alot differently from the people who are 30+ now. TPM is a better film than ANH in every single way. ANH hold alot of sentimentality for the Sci fi generation thats all.

I think Tyto hit the nail on the head. The Phantom menace is supposed to be the 1st film. If in 4 years time you watched all 6 movies from begining to end i reckon you'd see the saga alot differently from the people who are 30+ now. TPM is a better film than ANH in every single way. ANH hold alot of sentimentality for the Sci fi generation thats all.

My roomate pointed this out to me, and I think it makes a lot of sense. A lot of people watched the original SW trilogy when they were kids, so it holds this...untouchable aura around it, this high that can never be met because we are so much less critical when we're children. When may people go back and watch the original trilogy, I think they watch it through colored lenses that prevent them from seeing many of the flaws...

I enjoyed TPM more than I enjoyed ANH, personally. I never had a problem with Jar Jar, but that's because I keep an open mind, I think. Though if I watch it again, I may not enjoy the Lightsaber fight as much...I haven't had the guts to go and take a good look lol.

Archived