Home

*SPOILERS..sigh* What was really wrong with EP 1 your thoughts

Sirus

Right before I start this thread I'm assuming the fetal position and waiting for an onslaught of abuse but in fairness of all the crititisim it reacived I dont think it was THAT bad I mean every story has to have a begining and keep in mind it was a time of pease so there was no great star fighter battles and death stars it was suppose to be the intro to all that great stuff in the next 5 chapters, the only problem was you guessed it Jar Jar and the death of darth maul I think they should of kept him and made anaikin fight him and strike him down in anger thus sealing him down the dark path kinda like what the emporer tryed with luke in R.O.T.J

So What Do You Think? :fett:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the main problem was wasting Darth Maul, when he could have been a great character in the other chapters.

AND

The fact in EP1 they got away from the idea of the force being a mysterious power in the galaxy and made it all science , with the introduction in describing the force with midi-cloriens. I HATED this idea. I would have prefered it as just the power that remains secret than getting all scientific about it.

Originally posted by Sirus

Right before I start this thread I'm assuming the fetal position and waiting for an onslaught of abuse but in fairness of all the crititisim it reacived I dont think it was THAT bad I mean every story has to have a begining and keep in mind it was a time of pease so there was no great star fighter battles and death stars it was suppose to be the intro to all that great stuff in the next 5 chapters, the only problem was you guessed it Jar Jar and the death of darth maul I think they should of kept him and made anaikin fight him and strike him down in anger thus sealing him down the dark path kinda like what the emporer tryed with luke in R.O.T.J

So What Do You Think? :fett:

agreed but also why did they make anakin so much younger then padme uhhhuhuh thats just plain wrong!!

The actor they got to play Anakin was horrible (in my mind) and didn't look very ...i don't the word...ominous? He was supposed to be a deeper character that you could sense something not quite right beneath the surface, but I never got that sense.

Does anyone else think the kid they have playing Boba Fett in Ep II, would have made an excellent Anakin in Ep I? He looks like he has a mean streak to him.

TDS

Originally posted by TheDarkSide

The actor they got to play Anakin was horrible (in my mind) and didn't look very ...i don't the word...ominous? He was supposed to be a deeper character that you could sense something not quite right beneath the surface, but I never got that sense.

Does anyone else think the kid they have playing Boba Fett in Ep II, would have made an excellent Anakin in Ep I? He looks like he has a mean streak to him.

TDS

The thing about Anakin is that he is turned to the Dark Side, he's not on that path from the start. :p

If Tusken Raiders killed your mom, you'd slaughter them too

I don't HATE Jar Jar. I didn't find his voice or accent annoying. I don't get pissy as easily as a lot of people. If there was a fault in his character it was that he was such a carbon-copy cliche clumsy character-who-saves-the-day. That character is in a MILLION stories and I felt that George really could have come up with something better than that.

darth maul I think they should of kept him and made anaikin fight him and strike him down in anger thus sealing him down the dark path kinda like what the emporer tryed with luke in R.O.T.J

Nice idea. Would have been cool. As it is, Obi pretty much attacked in anger and fear.... after seeing Qui Gon offed. Least it seemed to me that he did. Where is his decent into the dark side?

The worst thing about the movie was the little kid. Cute... could have been good but... "Yipeeeeee!" .... what in the HELL IS THAT!? Right on level with Lando's taunt in the game! "Wooooo Hooooo!" His acting was Kee-rap!

However, on the whole I thought the movie was pretty good. No movie will ever give me the warm fuzzies like the original three but I liked Ep1.

As stated earlier, the IDEA of jar jar was old. Anakin is too young (petafile is NOT cool...) and he is a bad actor. Maul should not have died, he was the coolest dark jedi in the history of Star Wars, and they had an apprentice finish him (even thought it would have been a MUCH less satisfying ending). MIDI - CHLORIANS. Ok i see that lucas wanted to put the SCIENCE back into the SCIENCE - FICTION, but seriously, it was so much better as the force being something very mysterious. And midi chlorians 'speaking' to you? Please.

However, the movie kicked ass, and the lightsaber fight was very very very good (if not very short :( )

I don't think the midiclorians made the Force less mysterious. Its like, say our Mitochondria could recieve the power of God allowing us to manipulate His creative energy... that doesn't make God less mysterious. Thats just a parable... mind.

Another thing I never thought to say was How good of A Sith could Count Dooku be! Darth Maul was trained from a young age in the Jedi arts and as a sith and a padwan LEARNER namly Obi 1

now don't get me wrong Obi 1 is the man Killed Him, but if Maul was trained for most his life and was beaten what chance does an old man who at the most if Darth Sidius was to train him after EP 1 would have 10 years training have any chance against 'the chosen one' KEEP IN MIND THER CAN ONLY BE TWO A MASTER AND AN APPRENTISE.

Really should have kept Maul

:maul::fett:

See this is where it gets confusing... I am not seeing a dark Jedi being the same as a Sith. There are always only two Sith... never says anything about there only being two dark Jedi. The two MUST be seperate because ANYONE could lose their cool and then give in to the dark side... but if their were already two, and dark Jedi=Sith, that would mean there were more than two... so Dark Jedi have to be seperate. Count whatshisface could have been training to be a dark jedi for a while... yeah? And then just stepped into place. Much like Anakin does... or Palpatine tried to get Luke to do.

agreed but also why did they make anakin so much younger then padme uhhhuhuh thats just plain wrong!!

He was like 9 and she was 14...thats not a huge difference in age as you get older--its not like the were making out or something...

I liked TPM. Not on a level with the original trilogy... don't like midichlorians, more for how they're misinterpreted than what I think Lucas intended... Jar Jar was annoying, yeah--but never more so than in the final battle. He was annoying as in his crazy hyjinks kept interrupting the best lightsaber fight ever! Jar Jar should die for that!

Darth Maul shouldn't've died (and I don't think he really did... I think Maw was a hint, blast it! MAW WAS A HINT!). But Count Dooku looks kewl... kinda got a Sith Lord/Vampyre thing going, and hey... what're Sith Lords but the vampyres of the SW universe?

And Anakin was bad with the whole yippy thing... but... he wasn't intended to be a dark kid... though he could do this weird look you saw a couple of times in the movie that kinda made you think "Day-am, that kid's gonna go psycho someday!"

All in all, SW2 will be much better (and I hear it makes SW1 a better movie, as well).

I liked EP1. I took it in context. At first, I really didn't like it and was somewhat disappointed, but later I thought about it, and I made some mental compromises.

Jar Jar was a bit over the top, but he added to the lightness of this first movie. The whole movie seems geared toward enhancing the darkness of the next two movies.

Maul's death led to the ultimate maturation of Obi-Wan. And from what I've heard, Dooku is supposed to be more Vader-esque in his Sith-hood, for lack of a better word, but Maul didn't really have the Vader-esque qualities in his character that he would have to have for him to stay a very real adversary in the next movie(s).

I don't really know what Lloyd was thinking in his acting, but Lucas must have had some purpose for it, since he was the director. After all, it's not as if Star Wars has always had great actors.

I'm not sure if all that made sense, but hopefully it did. TPM may not have been the best movie of the whole series, but it will certainly enhance the way in which we look at the next two movies.

IMO Maul is as popular for the same reason Bobba Fett is. You see little of him but he leaves a impression, sure they should of used him more in ep1 but I dont think he would have been so great having him in ep2 as his character is no where near as classy as Darth Vader.

Christopher Lee as a sith looks very promising :D

Originally posted by Sirus

Another thing I never thought to say was How good of A Sith could Count Dooku be! Darth Maul was trained from a young age in the Jedi arts and as a sith and a padwan LEARNER namly Obi 1

now don't get me wrong Obi 1 is the man Killed Him, but if Maul was trained for most his life and was beaten what chance does an old man who at the most if Darth Sidius was to train him after EP 1 would have 10 years training have any chance against 'the chosen one' KEEP IN MIND THER CAN ONLY BE TWO A MASTER AND AN APPRENTISE.

Really should have kept Maul

:maul::fett:

The way obiwan killed Maul, it looked to me more as luck than real skill (I think he surprised Maul)....so I'm not worried about count dooku putting up a good fight....

The way obiwan killed Maul, it looked to me more as luck than real skill (I think he surprised Maul)....so I'm not worried about count dooku putting up a good fight....

I thought that Dooku was a Dark Jedi turned Sith, wouldn't that mean that he required less training?

according to what i know (read it at the sw databank, hehe) count dooku (or darth tyrannus, whatever you want to call him) was a jedi that was part of the "lost twenty", a group of jedi that left the order in search for other pursuits.

some time after he left, sidious musta have picked him up and pursuaded him to join the sith, at least he is in league with sidious.

also, from what i read somewhere tyrannus/dooku hates it being a sith.

I think too many wanted to see it as the another movie to continue on from ROTJ, evne though it was based before ANH. They wanted the action, and not allow the plot to be put into the movie, to allow for the other two prequel movies to answer the questions left in the script.

TPM was all about introducing the history of the Republic, at a time when it had been peaceful for so long, and had only just started to have some tensions and troubles. That it isn't the totally dominated and dark world that the OT was.

Midichlorians is more of a thing to clear up the common misconception that the Force was more of a religious belief rather than a genetic gift. They had suggested in the OT that it was genetic, by mentioning that the children of Skywalker would be strong in the Force. It was only Han who mentioned it to be a hokey religion, and from there, everyone seemed to get the idea it was all religion, that anyone could be a Jedi. There was a good 15 years from ROTJ for people to discuss a lot of the issues in SW, so to clear them up.

For a movie that is meant to introduce things, and have questions that are partially answered by events in the OT, and that some things are presented as being like X in TPM and end up like Y in the OT, and we are left to wonder how they changed. I think too many people went into it, thinking action, etc, and not having to really think about the older movies when watching the whole thing - which I believe is the way it has to be watched to understand the movie.

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, when fighting Maul, could have kept up a dialog.

They wasted a perfect opportunity to grill Maul on the Sith. They should have been asking questions, probing, trying to draw him out, make him mad etc etc. Would have allowed Maul to build some character as well, instead of just being the boogey-man.

Especially during the hiatus in the fight, when the force screens separated them all.

I didn't like the midi-clorien thing either.

Qui-Gon says they exist "In all living cells", but that's not necessarily true. A completely alien physiology may not require them, but we KNOW there are non-human Force sensitives. I'd have preferred them to keep the mystique...

I mean, what would stop someone from breeding midi-cloriens and giving themselves a good dosing of Force sensitive monocellular goodness?

Archived