Home

Official JK2 1.03 Patch Thread!

digl

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

listen here mr. caps lock. i don't ****ing just spin, ok? i spin when it's appropriate. now, spinning is completely useless. anyone, that isn't a padawan, would ever be dumb enough to not get out of there because they see the spin coming a mile away. it takes about 5 hours to accomplish a spin now. a far cry from the tactical spin of old. the medium is spin is only slightly faster than the strong spin. WTF

and thank you for the violin. i laughed.

Although I laughed at this thread.

The DFA is a good move because=it kills in one shot, and although there are counters it sometimes kills ridiculously. I think you should be able to turn to land it in, lag, but I agree that unless you hit someone who's defenseless and only in the swinging part (not the saber buried in the ground or getting hit int he toe) should constitute a kill. I didn't make the patch but it does:

Make lightstance not suck.

Increase saber battles.

Make every saber battle not necessarily heavy vs heavy... or should I say DFA vs DFA.. and if someone kills me with a DFA ... I WILL BE LIKE DAMN!! That's like getting killed with a light slash or a light lunge for that upclose and personal "I got the Skillz" statement.

Well, I might as well add my 2 cents in even though I don't participate to ofen around here. ( I DO however enjoy reading your posts though)

Anyway, here is my background: I have been playing since the 16th and it didn't take me very long to find that I prefer being a pure duelist (NF). I became well rounded learning all the stances with the yellow being my dominant strength. If it means anything I am currently ranked 155 out of 91,016 players on "csports.net" but I don't put a lot of weight in thier rankng system.

I played last night for about 2 hours and at first, I felt very awkward (like I did when I first started playing). In light of the changes (for the type of game I play) re-learning the VERY different play mechanics will be worth it.

Some of the complaints are a bit strange to me. The change to the kick (double tap) is easily executed even in the heat of combat. Maybe the ppl having a problem should try binding it to a a more comfortable key, that might help.

Saber throw threw me for a loop at first but it wasn't long before I felt comfortable with it part of a NF duel. It does make things interesting and I have to admit, after watching some people use it effectively (read: not spam, played well with it) I thought it was a good choice.

Even though I am biased as far as force use goes, the changes seem to have toned them down to the point where they "compliment" the saber and not overpower it (as far as what you would use as a main weapon)

The DFA change was 100% right where it needs to be IMO. I like that it can still be used but it had better be used when you are sure that you are going to connect with it. I dont find it hard to pull off, and can still surprise someone (try a few medium saber slashes, at the last slash switch to heavy and jump backwards tapping your attack and jump at the same time and then as soon as you land, hold forward, attack and jump at the same time. Presto! but again, use with caution!)

Well, gotta go...got a new saber to learn.

:atat:

They have destroyed one of the most amazing games I had ever played with this new 'patch.' It is hardly a patch, it is a new game: a game that I would never have invested time into.

Six of us have worked to assess the damage--an even spread of heavy and medium users. I will post our findings soon before signing off.

Suffice it to say that the changes, ultimately, have taken a game that required skill, strategy, and timing and metamorphosed it into a spongy spammy, slap fight. I can strafe up to skilled heavy users and slash medium combos in their face with impunity: players that in the recent past I had to be at the top of my game to compete with. But I digress... the sad truth will become apparent as the new saber dynamic is tested by the community.

Raven has a game that is topping the charts and word of mouth has been very positive. The new patch should have included bug fixes and corrected some oversights in the multiplayer gameplay (e.g. the proliferation of 'DFA' spamming, buggy hitbox code, etc).

It should not have altered so completely the saber and game mechanics.

This 'patch' is nothing of the sort; it is total overhaul and has produced a mitigated multiplayer experience.

Heh, I have been proven correct in this thread.****in whiners:rolleyes:

My post from about a week ago................

Ok, here's the deal. It doe'snt matter how much they tweak or add with the patch. Who knows, Raven could end up fixing 90% of all the things we have been griping about the past month. -One fact remains, there will still be all the kiddie whiners and flamers here at the JK2 forum. The second the patch is released, it will be disected bu alot of idiots here and nitpicked at in whining threads.Don't get me wrong, there's quite a few of you here that are very cool abd act yur age. But also, I notice way too much kiddie flaming,bickering,whining. Way too many smart-ass children here without any supervision from thier mommy and/or daddy! -Anyway, my point being.........no matter what Raven fixes/adds w/ the patch, peeps will just complain about it with a new list of gripes after it's released! -All these lamers will nitpick at the patch and there will be 50 instant whining/griping threads the 1st damn day. Hell, only one tidbit of official info regarding the tweaking of the heavy-stance and there are already numerous whining/flaming going on on how thats unfair:rolleyes: :rolleyes: First mostly everyone here gripes and b!tches about heavy-stance being too much and now that we have official word that it may be fixed w/ the patch and now you peeps are b!tching about that!! -Get a life you freakin' kiddies morons!:eek::rolleyes:

--If Raven dev ended up curing all the MP issues w/ JK2 with the patch release there would still be 30-40 threads with nothing but whining and b!tching about how the patch sucks. Grow up people and for all the kiddies here.......go find yourselves a gaming junior-forum! ----There's my rant! -I'm so disgusted with how most of the members act here at the JK2 forum. It's a real embarressment to the Veteren JK1 community and to the 'sensible' members of the JK2 community as well. Just plain sad all the flaming and bickering that goes on here.

--Anyway, ...just my .02. -I'm gone, ~S!TH

I was reading all the negative comments last night thinking this new patch couldn't possible be that bad. Well it's not. But after finally installing and trying it out today, I see it is pretty close.

The change to force Absorb was for the better. Good job. It would have totally balanced out the advantage Drain gave to Dark side players. But unfortunately since Drain has been toned back, that balance is gone, and the clear advantage the Dark side players had before the patch now belongs to the Light side.

I don't have any complaints about the changes made to Heal or Grip. The extra force energy you'll get with the new Absorb more than makes up for the increased usage for Heal. Grip makes more sense now that you can't run around at full speed carrying the weight of another player.

The saber changes seem to have taken a lot of the control and smoothness out it had before the patch. It still needed to be changed and tweaked a bit, but I think as it is now is too drastic a change.

The weapon changes I don't care about. I play this game for the lightsabers, so anything that balances saber users vs. gun users is a good thing IMO. But I think the only way to do really do this effectively is to use a class system like in the first JediKnight.

And thanks for all the bug fixes, I'm sure everyone appreciates those.

Originally posted by Skyro

Why is it that with this new, awesome patch, I can't join any multiplayer games anymore? It says something like "interface version is 6, expected 7" or something about "entities: end of message." It sounds like there is another patch out or something...?!

the servers you are trying to join have not been patched yet - check their version on Eye or Gamespy - probbaly 1.02c - whereas you just patched your client to 1.03.

They'll catch up over the next few days - used to happen all the time in Q2/Q3 - but the server admins were used to it and updated 5 mins after the patch arrived. They'll wonder why they have no players and figure it out :) Eventually ...

The way I see it.........

1)Gun-players hate the patch.

-I hardly play w/ guns and mainly frag on saber-only servers so I can give no input to this issue.

2)DFA and KICK spammers hate the patch.

-They can no longer mindlessly spam these moves as easily as they could before the patch. I think Raven made a good call as far as making these specific changes;)

3)Pure Saber-Only players for the most part welcome the patch.

-Like myself, the added tweaks and changes to the saber fighting are very welcome in my book.Saber control is not as wild and 'luck-based' as before. Also, the tweak where minimum damage is achieved at the beginning and the end of the attack is vvery cool. Pure max damage is achieved at the peak of the saber swing. In the middle like it should be. This tweak fixes the issue where we were all getting killed by an opponents saber barely touching us. Good call Raven!:D

4)Whiners hate the patch.

-These types of people will whine about any changes or tweaks regarding patches and the game itself. They just need to whine. Plain and Simple!:rolleyes:

...................just my .02 S!TH-Sense:p ;)

It says in the docs that noe you have to double-tap jump to do a back flip - this is not true - it works as before - a single press is sufficient.

But hey! for the first time online (56K) I could actually control my pointy light stick :) I was beggining to realise why the Jedi were wiped out - if all they had were these useless light bulbs, and the bad guys had the Heavy Repeater - no wonder they were toast :) Now at least the sabre might prove useful for something other than lighting up :)

"Young fool - only at the end do you realise the power of...

....my Flechette Gun muhahaha!"

Mind you...

"do not be too proud of this technological terror you have constructed.. the ability to wipe out the nme flag room with little yellow bombs is insignificant compared to the power of the Force!"

Well ya got that right Darth - there has to be some defense against constantly being pushed off the ledges on those damm platform maps... Any suggestions - before I get thown to my doom another thousand times lol :p

Well, there are a few things I have to complain about (venting a little off a bad day, after someone from this comunity virusing me, and just having changed this game right after i fixed virus) here we go:

1. The DFA you have to hold the attack, it really doesnt give the same feel, you should just be able to click like before

2. The saber blocking was totally raised,and I feel this really defeats the purpose

3. I actually tried skillfully playing, but it didnt work, so I went a noob keep on swinging rampage, and guess what, IT WORKED! (Say something).

4. The force heal and drain stuff, thats totally off, you really wrecked heal, but drain was too strong, that was good to decrease it

5. Good job on the Absorb thing

6. Not good job messing with the sabers, makes me wanna quit game and puke all over my cd, then burn it

Edited out due to extreme rudeness. Please don't do that again, no matter how much you censor it. These people deserve our respect for what they did for us.

So I hope all you lame whiners are happy with your new patch that really fixed (sarcasm ON) the game. If you guys didnt whine,the patch wouldnt have ****ed the game up. So thanks to this community, Im Most likely going to quit, maybe, just might stay cause of the academy. And if they dont come out with a patch fixing this soon, well, im quiting, no joke, and Massadoobie will take my position over at the academy, but Im not quitiing yet, Im giving this game another chance, you guys should really fix it.

- Ross "JediSith999" Berger

Academy Leader

Two things: 1) Don't put the developers down in a demeaning way again. I understand that you disagree, but do so in a civil manner. The rest of your post is fine, but that one blurb was ridiculously rude. Please be kind to everyone. Thanks in advance. And 2) I merged your thread into this one. I'm going to begin doing that to cut down on general redundacy. Thanks for understanding. -- Canoli

Okay, I'm probably gonna get flamed on this, but I find the patch makes the gaming even better. The sabering is more realistic, and it feels like I AM closer in the saber fight. The multiplayer bug in which people have exploited the Kyle skin with only it's arms (yes, I know the server can just make everyone use the same default skin) has been fixed. Contrary to some posts, fighting time has been decreased by a lot. No more people stretching out the fights (sabers AND gunfights) by with Drain as much because it requires more Force power and players receive less life from using it (here's the part someone will just tell me to join a disabled force server).

Fine, the patch may have its inconveniences. What! ALL 4 maps are duel maps!? WTF? Deal with it. I'm sure someone can dish out a Duel to FFA map in no time (not me, btw.) Force Absorb can only be seen after someone attacks the person who has it activated? Bah, it was just as bad the other way around, when people could see you having it on and wait till it's over to get you. :p

I've read many posts on these forums, and I think I know what's going on. This patch is obviously not liked by some. However, nothing can ever be fully appreciated by EVERYONE. I separate the whiners from the people who actually want the game to succeed. Whiners just seem to think this game is not worth playing after this patch. Not worth playing? Then don't freaking play it! (or, uninstall the patch and continue playing, because there are SOME people who dislike the patch and are retaining the retail version who are serving). There's no need to bash a game in which the majority of the people here are interested in. As Obi-Wan said (or along the lines of), "There are alternatives to fighting".

To the whiners out there, I found a good old sound clip of Abe Simpson. Click here to listen.

Congrats to those who don't bash the game or the makers of it for putting an effort into adhering to the gaming community. Maybe I'm not playing the gametypes or the game itself right and AM a n00bie (as I'm sure someone will say), but I think this game is good, and so the intentions of the patch (I don't think Raven wants to screw themselves or you guys).

P.S.-Some suggestions throughout the posts seem really good, such as guns only and making the Jedi vs Merc thing an option.

And now....:

*puts on anti-flame suit*

I merged your thread into the official thread. This is a new policy I'm going to upkeep for a few days to cut down on the mass redundancy we have here. Thanks for understanding. -- Canoli

Just another fan wanting to say what a great game you guys made. I've been playing it everyday since it first came out and I agree with some of the changes you made in the latest patch.

But here are some of what I've seen that irks me a bit (not that you guys don't have enough people whining to you already :p). Okay, here goes...

Saber fights takes too long now. Almost 5 minutes to kill someone 1vs1 (not duel but FFA with no other people around), but still around 2 minutes for three to four guys ganging up on one guy. I get bored and sometimes I see other people giving up the fight just to go jump into the larger fray. In my opinion it's too much autoblocking. Back before the patch I had to rely on my reflexes to block, that is turned my saber towards the attacker and if I don't I would get chopped up. Now it seems that I'm not rewarded with my reflexes by manually blocking on coming sabers. Please consider that to tone it down a bit.

Also, you know it's autoblocking too much because the game is becoming a light show. In a big FFA there's too much sparks flying around which makes it hard to see and looks very chaotic. Could you please tone that down also?

Another thing that concerns me is force lightning. I usually play on the light side so I may seem a bit bias to you, but bear with me here. Since you toned down force healing I think you should tone down lightning also. Why? Because now all people do is spam lightning on you and they don't even touch you with their sabers at all. All I'm saying is that if you tone down defensive properties (like healing) then you should tone down offensive properties (like lightning) too.

Last thing are the ammos for the guns. I normally don't play with guns but I'm not going to deny myself the chance to use it either. I agree that before all anyone used was the secondary fire button and spammed, however making it cost 25 ammo is a bit much don't you think considering the maps are already low on ammo? How about a compromise, say somewhere in between?

Okay, I got that off my chest... thank you :) Other then the above I like what you done with the patch so far.

Archived