Home

Official JK2 1.03 Patch Thread!

digl

Originally posted by Nill the Mean

Well, if the community does split into two, original version and patched versions, then I bet all the n00bs and the lamers are going to be the ones that stick with 1.02. Even then, almost all the servers WILL be updated if you like it or not so having the original version means you'll have to search forever to find a server. And when you do it will be full of DFA spammers.

People who are good at this game will continue with the patch and get increasingly better. We'll all have loads of fun as Raven helps us out with other patches/fixes in the future making the game even better than it is now (which is hard).

Soon all the n00bs, lamers, whatever, will get lost and we'll have an outstanding community with lots of good players. After all, SoF2 and UT2003 are practically here, that should get rid of the people without any skill.

I'm am soooo happy that I won't be seeing anymore people who just bunnyhop across the map with DFA hoping for the best. And if they do, they will soon realise what a bloody stupid way to play the game it is. If you just want to jump into things and instantly kill them, go play Sonic the Hedgehog or something. Maybe it's simplicity will correspond well with your brain.

Actually it'll be the noobs and lamers that go with the patch. I spent a couple hours playing last night before I went to bed and saber fighting is no longer about timing and skill. Now it's all about spamming your sword attacks all over the place with very little thought about leaving yourself open. Why is there no more thought about leaving opens for your enemy to exploit you ask? Very simple because now (hmm I'll be generous with this estimate) 75% of the time you auto block. That's great for making the fights LOOK more like the movies, but now your weapon that can cut through steel (or whatever they're made of) blast doors cant cut through someone's shirt.

I've seen alot of good points with the anti-patch posts and I agree with em really. There never was any really good arguments for the changes that were made. People complained about DFA instead of learning to fight against it (and there were plenty of ways to do so).

Btw, for those who are upset about DFA being nerfed horribly it has been replaced with a new one hit kill that is faster and more versatile than the DFA ever was, beware enemies running backwards and ya might wanna put a few points into force seeing now.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by V-tecc

Is calling people n00bs and lamers constructive criticism by your opinion?

V-tecc

Ooooooh, V-tecc is holier than thou...

No it isn't constructive criticism but that wasn't it's point now was it? I call "them" n00bs and lamers because they are. Just like someone who beats people up on the street all day can be called a common thug.

Are you just waiting for a chance to flame me or what? Get of my back, frustrated person.

The only criticism I ever gave DFA myself is that you get too many people depending on just that one move. It gets boring quickly and the collision detection needed tweaking.

I've played for a couple of hours and 2 things stand out to me:

1) Blocking. Sooooo much blocking going on. I could kill folks before in under 5 seconds sometimes. My fastest kill today was probably 20 seconds. Longest duel today? 4 minutes. That is a long time to be fighting someone. With all the fewer kills (noone ever finisehed a game with the same amount of kills as time) the game seems slower paced.

2) Heavy, toned down ALOT. DFA- cannot spin after landing, sabre damage area is smaller(just like the manual says, you have to be accurate), won't kill in 1 hit. Also I noticed when you swing your running speed slows down alot. Not so in Yellow or Blue.

Ooooooh, V-tecc is holier than thou...

No it isn't constructive criticism but that wasn't it's point now was it? I call "them" n00bs and lamers because they are. Just like someone who beats people up on the street all day can be called a common thug.

Are you just waiting for a chance to flame me or what? Get of my back, frustrated person.

The only criticism I ever gave DFA myself is that you get too many people depending on just that one move. It gets boring quickly and the collision detection needed tweaking.

No I wont flame you, why would I want to do that? But if you can't handle me responding to what you are writing, then maybe you should re-think about if writing in this forum really is the thing for you.

And I think it's frightening that you compare "n00bs" with someone robbing people in real life.

V-tecc

God damn!

What kind of kinder garden mentality is that?!

We're just giving constructive criticism, which we are entitled to... whining is what you are doing.

It's our right to like or dislike the patch, we don't care to comment about what you think of the patch, we just want to be heard.

So grow up and stop calling people whiners!

V-tecc

No it is stuff like this that gets me miffed and then I feel the need to defend my point of view, especially since I'm bloody good at this game Before Patch and am still doing well now that it is here. I dare say I know a n00b on a server when I see one.

What I meant with the common thug comparison is that it is easy to lable these people because they have very stereotypical behaviour.

I just mean that, since I did well before and am doing well after patch, it isn't the game that is at fault. It is the people who are playing it.

No I wont flame you, why would I want to do that? But if you can't handle me responding to what you are writing, then maybe you should re-think about if writing in this forum really is the thing for you.

And I think it's frightening that you compare "n00bs" with someone robbing people in real life.

V-tecc

If you do it right you can still achieve a one hit kill with Heavy Stance.

The radius has been toned down and it's much slower now - but that's most likely the way it should be, when something is 'heavy'.

The problem people had with it before was that with heavy stance a person could hit your 3 ft. + away - especially if there was the slightest lag.

Now it requires that the person actually touches you with the saber.

Heavy is great for a final kill, but the main focus of the game will now be with light and medium and close combat.

Well then you can all go ahead and keep whining until Raven gets so sick of it that they don't offer any support anymore.

... Then ...

No it is stuff like this that gets me miffed and then I feel the need to defend my point of view

Yet you attack others when they have a point of view and call them whiners.

This bothers me and thats why I respond

I too was good at this game before the patch, in fact I rarely lost.

And I (so far) don't like the patch. that's my opinion and I'll defend it if I must.

V-tecc

And I (so far) don't like the patch. that's my opinion and I'll defend it if I must.

V-tecc

I think we should all just play the new style of the game for about a week or so and attempt to get used to it.

If we still don't like it, sure, start working on a patch request thread.

The transition from SP to MP was very frustrating for a lot of people because the saber style was so different.

Now it's probably easier for SP players to get into MP.

I personally find the saber style now easier to control, and I first thought that any gameplay tweaks would be bad for the game.

How about giving it a week of serious open-minded attempts at playing and than come back and tell everyone what's wrong?

Good deal?

No it is stuff like this that gets me miffed and then I feel the need to defend my point of view, especially since I'm bloody good at this game Before Patch and am still doing well now that it is here. I dare say I know a n00b on a server when I see one.

What I meant with the common thug comparison is that it is easy to lable these people because they have very stereotypical behaviour.

I just mean that, since I did well before and am doing well after patch, it isn't the game that is at fault. It is the people who are playing it.

Jesus dude!! Get real!!! If you think its so boring with DFA, Y dont you just take one step aside or two steps bak and kill the bugger? Oooh,, sorry,, "one step aside" meens that you pres the button so that the grafical figure on you computer screen moves to one side....

Cerebral, what point are you trying to make?

V-Tecc, point heard and understood. But when I came here I hadn't expected so many people to hate this patch and god knows how many posts came up with unfair criticism towards Raven and the game. Your entitled to not like it, but I hadn't quite caught on to why you don't like it... cause the features changed? They stayed the same with minor adjustments. More practice in it will make you enjoy it more.

Originally posted by NewBJedi

I think we should all just play the new style of the game for about a week or so and attempt to get used to it.

If we still don't like it, sure, start working on a patch request thread.

The transition from SP to MP was very frustrating for a lot of people because the saber style was so different.

Now it's probably easier for SP players to get into MP.

I personally find the saber style now easier to control, and I first thought that any gameplay tweaks would be bad for the game.

How about giving it a week of serious open-minded attempts at playing and than come back and tell everyone what's wrong?

Good deal?

Hehe... It's a deal if you come back first after a week of "serious open-minded attempts at playing" before you come here and tell us what's so good about it, deal?

You where one of the first to celebrate this patch, so why can't I be early to dislike it?

V-tecc

...y'all just got owned. If this community suffers, it is on the account of some vocal elements in the said community.

Even if Yoda never said this, now he probably would:

"Careful be you of what ask you for; get it you just might."

God damn it...

Hehe... It's a deal if you come back first after a week of "serious open-minded attempts at playing" before you come here and tell us what's so good about it, deal?

You where one of the first to celebrate this patch, so why can't I be early to dislike it?

V-tecc

Good one,, Try learning the game before you diss it.. Some peolpe have all there life been cheaters,, it follows them thrue life and thay need patches to be able to pla a simple game,, Do thay patch real life aswell maby? "Ooooh,, it so hard to learn to read,, can god please patch me so I dont have to do anything"

WHIMPS!

V-tecc rules,, He got his ass kicked before he got the hang of it,, now he could kick all your BOT-butts...

Originally posted by Cerebral

Well Dear Mr Foolish.

Im on the same timeline as most people on earth. You on the other hand seem to think you come from Hoth or somewhare.. People that complain that the game is to hard, (you) should try SIMS och any Tycoon game,, maby you can make it without a walkthrue. This patch is 4 loosers that are to lazy to get skilled at it.

Did I say the game was too hard? Um, "Speeder eater" or whatever? I played the game before the patch, I've posted on here that I THOUGHT the heavy stance was a bit overpowered and WISHED that the light stance wasn't so useless. In either case I played the game and enjoyed, its probably the ONLY online game I'm playing right now. Calling me a "looser"? Sounds like something your "rancor" momma tells her customers.

Was that a flame? Probably, but you deserve for assuming I'm lazy, and non-skilled. Considering that EVERYONE knows for a FACT that lightsaber battles take LONGER and require MORE skill than pre-patch.. who the hell is lazy? You.

Who needs some skill and a spelling book? You.

My saber is as sharp as my tongue, test me sometime...Oops I forgot your fearsome DFA mova has been modified.. WAAAAAMMMMBUULAAANNCEEE!!!

IMHO,

I really like the changes to the saber combat.

I think that that has been ehat has been needed to truly distinguish the game from just another Quake clone.

It does feel more like SP now. That is good.

I would have preferred a more medium ground on the ammo usage for the guns secondary fire.

I use both guns and sabers in team competitive play on ladders. By changing the amount of ammo used it has made it much more difficult in CTF/CTY games to defend the flag or the Ysalamri or to chase down an enemy flag carrier. Ammo IS scarce on the maps and does not refresh very quickly. That is why you will find the gun users complaining.

I like the way Drain has been handled, as well as Absorb. I find that both of these play well. I would like to see Heal change to more of a middle ground but that is personal preference as a flag runner.

I like the patch in many ways but there are aspects of it that make it a very anti-competitive patch. It is good for public servers but not for team ladder competitions. This is again for a clan point of view.

This is my opinion. I have stated it as such. I do not wish to be flamed.

No matter what Raven changes there will always be someone that is unhappy. The only complaint I have is the double tap to kick, but that's something that I am willing to adapt too.

You think this will be the only patch? Chances are that you're sorely mistaken. It's great that Raven have some aftersales support, and that they actually listen to the community. :)

Here's my two cents:

As far as DFA spamming goes, I never encountered the problem to the extent that most of the players on these forums supposedly did. That's not to say it wasn't a problem, just that I didn't experience it.

I will admit that it was pretty irritating the few times that I did encounter DFA spamming. One time, some imbecile decided he'd do it on the Raven Labs level. The match had to last at least 6 minutes, no lie, and consisted of little more than me spinning around in medium "like Brian Boitano on crack" as one poster suggested (sorry for not quoting). Did I win? Yep, without a health point lost. Did I enjoy myself? Nope. It sucked hard. I was especially offended when the loser congratulated me on my victory, as if I had somehow managed to slip from his almighty grasp.

I've played with the patch for about 5 hours total now, and unlike most of you, my opinion is somewhat ambiguous.

I like most of the changes. I think blue is infinitely more useful, and two duelers using blue is intensely exciting, even if the duel lasts longer than usual. I'll take an extra two or three minutes of watching a duel on a server if it's a real duel as opposed to the typical red back up, charge in strategy. I generally like what they did with red; it isn't so much slower that is is unusable, and it actually leaves it's proponents open to counter attacks, as the manual suggests (incorrectly prior to 1.03). I think yellow may have gotten the short end of the stick here. I liked the spinning before, as long as it wasn't abused. The way it is now, it feels a little too much like blue. It does, however, resemble most closely the style used in the original trilogy of films. This is of the utmost importance in my opinion; others may prefer the game to be first a game, then a representative of the movie. I don't, but I won't disrespect your opinion.

One thing I am disappointed in is the difficulty I am having in attacking a blatantly open spot on an opponent, even if they are standing still. In 1.02, I could strike hard on my enemy if I saw an opening, even if they were not moving. Now, all of the combatants resemble some type of contortionist, twisting to ungodly positions in an instant to block an attack that should obviously be landed.

I must admit that I've never seen a patch in any game that so drastically changed the mechanics, literally overnight. This is definitely contributed to the great Patch/Flame War now ensuing.

Overall, Raven has not found the happy medium between film representation and feasible gameplay, but I sincerely believe that they are closer now than previously. If you plan to respond to this post, do so with the same tact and dignity that I have tried to present, or don't respond at all. I won't argue with an idiot; I find that idiots drag people down to their level and then beat them with experience.

V-tecc

So you don't like it now because you lose? Or it takes longer to win?

I won pre-patch too. However I found it silly the radius and "collision detection" that someone mentioned previously, is kinda screwed.

I've killed players that according to what I see on my screen. BLOCKED my heavy swing, but somehow the tip or the finishing portion of the swing killed them, and it appeared not to make contact. It has happened to me, and I think that's a bit ridiculous. The backward lunge from heavy is still a big dmg dealer, and now you can chain two heavy swings almost or killing someone quickly, now you just have to land them.

With Force Defend on its highest level it blocks almost all forward attacks EXCEPT if your swinging or using a force power. As it should be, from above, under, behind you can still score hits. So basically it appears to ME, that the new strategy is.

Time attacks, when JK2 first came out everyone thought they could spam away and win, then most people learned some SKILLS. Attack when foe swings and misses, with the right combo not just a button mash, switch stances based on your opponents strategy.

If someone is using heavy, go med or light, and try to score 2-4 hits if they miss.

If someone is light, go med, and try to score some hits above, or behind by going around them, if they are just slashing away, use force push or pull and knock their asses over.

If someone is saber throwing and running, go light, block shots and score a push/pull or grip, if the person is running wildly there is a small chance the saber won't return to them right away until they stand up and hit "fire" again. Allowing you to score some hits.

Althought the med finisher is harder to pull off, I think it does more dmg, need someone to confirm this. I was killing bots with 2 med slashes and a med finisher.

Someone posted the DFA can now be done with a combo move (one slash, then DFA move), meaning that CLOSE QUARTERS would be ideal for a DFA move, when your opponent cannot escape and dodge quickly. IN other words, you cannot DFA DFA DFA DFA DFA turn slash.. all day long.

I know not every fan of the heavy stance overused DFA. ANd I know PLENTY of people here have skill...but even the ones that are really skilled pre-patch have to agree that any NOOB that read a JK2 site can learn how to DFA and usually overused it.

---Two cool things I think have happened due to the patch.

1) I've had this game since it came out, and killing noobies to me is no fun, some people dig it, I don't. In away this levels the playing field, we are all "noobs" so to speak, all over again as we get used to the new combat system.

2) If you played with precision and style before then post-patch isn't a problem, just takes a bit longer, in a crazed FFA match (if that was your favorite) I can see why that is a problem. But ON THE BRIGHT side, its not so easy for people you've been trying to kill to turn run heal so easily. People were comlaining before that people who run and heal are too annoying, and that heal was too strong allowing battles to go on indefinetly. It's all a matter of perspective.. I still love the game post and pre patched.

Also remember, that this might not be the ONLY PATCH ever made for this game.

Originally posted by Dvlos

Did I say the game was too hard? Um, "Speeder eater" or whatever? I played the game before the patch, I've posted on here that I THOUGHT the heavy stance was a bit overpowered and WISHED that the light stance wasn't so useless. In either case I played the game and enjoyed, its probably the ONLY online game I'm playing right now. Calling me a "looser"? Sounds like something your "rancor" momma tells her customers.

Was that a flame? Probably, but you deserve for assuming I'm lazy, and non-skilled. Considering that EVERYONE knows for a FACT that lightsaber battles take LONGER and require MORE skill than pre-patch.. who the hell is lazy? You.

Who needs some skill and a spelling book? You.

My saber is as sharp as my tongue, test me sometime...Oops I forgot your fearsome DFA mova has been modified.. WAAAAAMMMMBUULAAANNCEEE!!!

Well well,, Your thinking is as slow as Red Stance,, "Speeder eater" Jesus dude,, Nerd or what!?! Get a ****in life,, I think that all the people that want to play the game in cheating mode (patched) can do so,, But dont come crying to the real players that you really suck at the real game, get real! And another thing,, WHAT ****IN SABER? Its pixels,, 1:s and 0:s in a computer,, You dont have a saber,, maby you should try going outside to the real world "NEO",,, ANd if you didnt know,, a rancor i a puppet,, NOT a real animal or alien creature you pissant! Ohh, sorry, did I shatter you world now,, Dude Its not real,, it a film and a game.. freak...whos wearing the jar jar jammies now?

Ceretroll, you suck at the English.

You notice the " "'s that was me mocking your DUMB attempt at a jibe... You said "I was from Hoth" ahhaha.. lame.

If you thought my retort was lame, its simply a mirrored response to your non-thought out posts. "Looser"! (Look more quotes)

I should have rethought that post however, knowing that you spend hours fascinated by your bathroom mirrors and twist-ties. I didn't mean to cave in your skull with a few words.

This is a game forum, so I will challenge you to a game. I don't get upset about stupid things like a patch. If you and I were in the "real world" together and I was upset, we'd be fist fighting, or in each other's faces yelling. That's the real world, and we are discussing a PATCH for a GAME. Lightsabers aren't real? What a shocker...this is stupid... let's move on to the only comment you made that was sort of based on JK2.

How is the patch a cheat? You simpleton. Care to explain how this is a cheat? Is there a bug people can exploit? Is there any rhyme or reason to this statement other than YOU cannot KILL people with ONE MOVE only (even if you dont truly connect)? Can you not kill people now? Is light stance TOO strong now? I want an explanation other than just NOW SABER BATTLES TAKE TOO LONG.

I played this crap for 2 and a half hours last night, and was still killing things. I don't think this patch is as horrid or even bad at all, I like it. BUt I gave you reasons why I liked it...Cerebral why don't you like it. I don't see this spam thing as a threat as some people didn't see DFA as a threat because there are counters to people who spam. Push/pull/throw/jump/med finisher/strafe/timing/light lunge/etc!!

No matter how good or bad the patch is, for all the hard work of the RAVEN team we have to express our gratitude to the hard working people!

And i think there are GOOD and BAD things about the patch

but overall i like it.

THE GOOD:

The Lightsaber battles are WAY more intense which i pretty like.

Yes i think the stances are quit different and WAY faster.

Although Fast and furious, it does take an amount of time for the above average ppl to adjust, and simply easier for newbies to adapt.

The maps are awesome too though :D

Single Player fixes are nice

DFA is nicely nerfed, those ppl who say they can't do DFA is crap.... cuz i can do it whenever i want to.

THE BAD:

Most servers dun support (Temporary i believe, not a big problem)

Takes time to adjust

Possibilty of super spinning spam with light stance....

And thats all..... if u play more, u will discover the WONDERS of this new patch.

PS> The Medium Stance IS NOT WEAKER, it is in fact BETTER, cuz once u use it and adjust to its needs, it is VERY powerful

and THX RAVEN FOR UR WONDERFUL PATCH

I think the problem was that Raven did a too good job of listening to the community. Before the game came out, tonnes of people were preaching the glory of the speed of JK1, where all combat was was running towards eachother at 60kph and pressing alternate fire. Raven tried to impress everybody, by keeping the SP the way duels should be, and slowing down, but pretty much keeping the same as, JK1 in MP. They turned JK2 duelling into JK1 duelling - a heavy swing lance fest.

And over the past month, we all adapted and flourished in the only slightly diferent playing style. Now that they have realised their mistake, and are attempting to set things back as they should be. You "whiners" have become so complacent in your own playing style, that you are afraid to try out other ways to win. I will say now that I have not played this patch online yet - but notice nowhere have I stated any prejudgemental opinions on these changes.

ADAPT.

I could be pretty sure that all of you had to adapt to JO's MP when you first started playing, why cant you now?

Archived