Home

This patch is a godsend. Thanks Raven!

TegSkywalker

After playing the new 1.03 patch for the last few hrs I can honestly say that the Raven crew has done a great job in making this game more equal gameplay wise.

Not counting the 4 new maps (I love duel_temple), the saber combat is more rounded and a more enjoyable experience. Before then, that whole one hit kill deal with the Strong stance REALLY got on my nerves. With this new patch, you can actual saber fight someone instead of dodging overhead attacks the whole time.

Great job guys and remember the true fans really appreciate your work, not the whiners and complainers on this board who are mad they can't do their #1 move which in my mind, was a bug from the start.

this patch blows for so many reasons:

okay the main thing that everyone talks about, the one hit kill move. Too powerful before...i didn't think so since there were like 5 or 6 different easy counters to it but to each their own. Okay, so reduce the damage a bit...fine. But now its reduced in damage, harder to execute, and can't even turn mid jump.

My question is why didn't they just take it out entirely...its totally worthless now.

Healing is also fairly pointless now, because you would have to run around the level for like 20 minutes in order to fully heal from say 15 health.

With the healing nerf, comes the unbalancing of saber throw, which IMO was already messed up. Before a person could sit back and keep backing up and throwing the saber at you, and eventually it would hit you while you followed them all around the level. One way to counter this, was the one hit move, which was not used to strike, but to close the gap, and make them change direction. Or you could just heal laughing off the damage. Now you can't do either.

I never use dark side, so i have no idea how badly drain was nerfed.

The absorb not showing up is about the only good thing to come out of this patch. And probably the levels if you like dueling...never play that myself.

I feel, that like diablo II they are trying to make the game "better" by making it take longer to achieve your goal. Nerfing everything is a terrible way of doing it.

If they really wanted to fix the game what should have been changed from original was;

Make fast saber stance faster. Make Medium a little more powerful. Leave heavy alone (or reduce damage a bit on the special move if you really want to keep whining about how much you suck and can't easily avoid it) and make fast/med more controllable, and less random and useless.

Make blaster bolts faster, make flechette launcher slightly weaker, or take slightly more ammo, make that ion gun actually do some damage...cause god it sucks.

whine, bitch and moan, mate, because I honestly don't care what you think. If all you want to do is spam DFA and use heavy stance then fuggin uninstall the patch and go back to the old unbalnced game.

Anyhow, I agree wit hthe original thread author. Saber fighting is much more enjoyable and lasts longer (read: you don't get killed by DFA in ever duel or end up trying to dodge it the entire match)

People complain about the patch because it messed with their style of play. Boohoo! You may actually have to learn to play decent now. "I can't heal to full in 2 seconds now" Oh no you mean you are actually mortal? "DFA isn't as easy and i can't turn in mid air" Welll...looks like you're gonna have to learn to actually fight then. I've always been a grip fan and wish it wasn't so slow now but in all honesty its a lot more fair now. JO was an A job but this little bit of extra credit puts it up to A+. Good job Raven.

The patch just made the game harder in my opinion. And I guess a lot of people don't like that.

"He blocks too much now!"

Ooooh... well get used to it. Don't just randomly attack him because then, of course, he is going to block.

"Kick is nerfed!"

No it isn't, it is just slightly harder to do. It is far from impossible to pull off, I really don't mind this being changed although I never thought it was unbalanced in the first place.

"DFA/Heavy is useless!"

Noooo... DFA is still a badass move. You can still "spam" it but you have to anticipate your opponent more. So it just became harder to do. And now you have combos in heavy, it more than makes up for the bad siddes of DFA. Two heavy hits quickly after eachother? I bet this one is a killer :D.

"Healing sucks now..."

Sigh... then play more carefully and go for health packs in addition to healing. They are there for a purpose. Gaining a quarter health is still very powerfull, considering you allways still have an infinte supply of force. Fighting your opponents has become harder, thus more challenging.

"Walking with grip, WTF?"

Well I didn't see Yoda doing the Macarena whilst he lifted that X-Wing. Makes more sense than running to me. It is still extremely usefull. You can throw people about with it, do damage, take a quick breather, etc... It is just harder to chuck someone to their doom unless they are already standing on the edge of a drop.

Just learn to get around it people, consider it a challenge instead of complaining so bad. You can always state your opinion on the lesser sides of the game... But saying stuff like "Raven screwed this up," or "This patch sucks!" isn't really accurate as far as I'm concerned.

I think you will get a lot less lucky kills so you'll have to concentrate on your style of play a lot more other than just running in like a loon, getting owned, then coming here to say the game sucks now.

i wasn't whining about it...i just said in my opinion this is what is wrong with it...obviously if i intend to keep playing, i will adapt. And what makes you think that everyone needs to fight YOUR WAY, or else it must not be the DECENT way to fight. Get off it guys. This "don't attack me, my saber is down" and "stop running and actually fight" crap really needs to stop. Its a game, you don't need to have YOUR sense of honor to enjoy it. You can fight anyway the game will let you. And i bet if they made the DFA move 2 times as powerful, You would be complaining about it for ever, or take up using it and become hypocrits.

I agree with most of the patch, and I appreciate it all, but can someone explain to me why Saber Throw was added to NF Servers? It makes no sense to me that they would add that. Please don't tell me to check and make sure it was NF, yes, I was sure.

If you played NF and you couldn't Saber Throw it was because A)You didn't have the patch installed B)You didn't Configure your Force powers (which you wouldn't think to do since its NF!!) or C) Played on a server with an awesome Admin who knows how to set up a REAL NF server now...

Originally posted by MessiahErebus

i wasn't whining about it...i just said in my opinion this is what is wrong with it...obviously if i intend to keep playing, i will adapt. And what makes you think that everyone needs to fight YOUR WAY, or else it must not be the DECENT way to fight. Get off it guys. This "don't attack me, my saber is down" and "stop running and actually fight" crap really needs to stop. Its a game, you don't need to have YOUR sense of honor to enjoy it. You can fight anyway the game will let you. And i bet if they made the DFA move 2 times as powerful, You would be complaining about it for ever, or take up using it and become hypocrits.

Erm, I don't know if this was intended for me, but if it was it is totally out of place. And it doesn't make much sense.

Where did this "honor" thing come in to it? If people want to play like that then let them. It really isn't that hard to wait for a second whilst he bows. Go kill someone else for a second then.

As for "stop running" I have to say that running is just pointless. What are you running for? The whole game revolves around combat, running away doesn't have any part in it. Sure, rolling to the side to quickly grap health/shield/weapon is perfectly acceptable but just running away? Do you intend not to die in the game at all? Well forget it, unless you hide in a corner for the whole match.

Not everyone has to fight the same way... but logic dictates that if there is a certain key to victory that you should use it. DFA spamming was definately not the way to go around it as anyone with half a brain can kick the **** out of you.

They would never make the DFA twice as strong. Sooo... what are you on about? If they did do this I would just leave the game. I'm not playing it if it has one blatantly obvious fault. I certainly wouldn't do it myself, because the act of doing DFA over and over again would bore me stiff within minutes.

I agree with most of the patch, and I appreciate it all, but can someone explain to me why Saber Throw was added to NF Servers? It makes no sense to me that they would add that. Please don't tell me to check and make sure it was NF, yes, I was sure.

If you played NF and you couldn't Saber Throw it was because A)You didn't have the patch installed B)You didn't Configure your Force powers (which you wouldn't think to do since its NF!!) or C) Played on a server with an awesome Admin who knows how to set up a REAL NF server now...

My guess would be that they did it because throw is the saber's secondary attack.

<shrug>

:yobi:

Walking with grip does suck. I played a couple of hours with my rommate last night and he was able to push me out of grip IMMEDIATELY everytime I gripped him. Even from behind.

You move to slow to be able to avoid it. Plus, he was also able to throw his saber and that just leaves anyone attempting to grip COMPLETELY open.

Im not saying that grip needed a tweak to make it a little more difficult to just relentlesly toss guys into the void but I think it was tweaked a tad too much.

Other than that, Raven did a great job. I think saber combat is even more fun. The seperate stances feel as though there are actual differences now. I find myself switching through them to change my stance depending on different situations now. Before I just stayed on a steady medium stance. Light stance actually seems to be useful now.

But I could always instantly push/pull myself out of that situation. Unless I didn't have any force left... And throwing the saber has also always been possible, so that isn't anything new. You can always throw your opponent towards the edge by moving the mouse quickly once you get hold of him. Shake him about a lot if you want to prevent him from countering it so easily. There is a solution to EVERYTHING in this game. So I'll make a bold statement:

If you are having trouble countering somthing then I'll tell you what to do. If you follow my advice properly you will get better.

The only time I need to run around with grip is if I'm spinning them around me so they can't push me out, which is really lame and needed fixing. You don't need to move more than a couple steps to throw someone off the edge; learn to flick the mouse very quickly to throw them off the edge before they can push you. Gripping them and walking them slowly towards the edge never did work very well, it's more practical to throw them to your side.

Archived