Home

Raven/Lucasarts says everyone must use patch?

Prime

I don't if this was posted before, but I just noticed the following in the patch readme:

The use of this update is pursuant to the Software License.

All Multiplayer users must use Jedi Outcast version 1.03.

What does this mean exactly? Does Raven have the right/ability to dictate that all online servers use version 1.03? Just curious. Any thoughts?

They can attempt to make it mean whatever they want, but no, not everyone is forced to run a 1.02 server.

Sure, Raven can make it so all non-1.03 versions of the game do not show in the in-game server browser, but with 3rd party server finders, like ASE or GSpy, all servers will show up just fine there.

That's actually a good question, legally speaking. Depending on the terms of the End User License Agreement (EULA) that you all agreed to when you installed the game (a click to proceed agreement), you may be legally bound to upgrade to 1.03. I'd have to read the EULA again, though. Frankly, though, I doubt that 1.) Lucasarts or Raven or Activision will pursue legal action against anyone but maybe a major tournament or major server network (Essentially, if you're just a broke-ass student like myself, they don't care what you do, but if you've got deep pockets, watch out), and 2.) a court might not find it binding or conscionable as a term of the contract.

Then again, courts do seem to give clickwrap licenses a fair amount of creedence. It'd make for a neat case to argue, though! :)

DISCLAIMER:

I AM NOT A LAWYER. I AM A STUDENT. THE ABOVE IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. IT IS MERELY THE OPINION OF AN INDIVIDUAL. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED BY YOUR READING OR MY WRITING MY OPINION. IF YOU CHOOSE TO RELY ON THIS OPINION, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN PERIL.

Then I look forward to Raven and Lucas Arts wasting a crap load of money to take me to court just to attempt to have me upgrade my server version, only to lose because I am running a linux server, and the linux binary isn't officially supported by Raven or Lucas Arts - oops!

:eek:

Looks like I will run 1.02x for however long I want to.

Well looking for the simplest explanation, I'd suggets that it means that if you are hosting a 1.03 game then all the players that want to connect to it must also be running 1.03.

ie It's merely stating that 1.02 cannot connect to 1.03

calm down calm down... No one's going to court. LA and Raven don't give a crap if you have 1.02., 1.03 or 74734.7364. They just want your money and you have given it to them already if u have this game (i hope anyway... damn pirates :p)

I don't think there is any way to interpret that statement other than if you are going to play multiplayer, you are going to use the patch. Besides, when the cool mods start coming out, they will probably be only compatable with the new patch. I hope that anyway.

Jeez, is there always this much drama when a UT or Half-Life patch comes out? This is the way the game is now. Either play it or don't, but if you stubbornly won't upgrade your game and still play, looks like you are in breach of contract.

But you're going to do what you want anyhow. Just be sensible though and play the game as it is meant to be played.

I didn't think that it was really a legal issue. Certainly Raven or Lucasarts aren't going to come after you if you have a 1.02 server. It was more a question of what are they really trying to say.

Cheers.

P.S. I have found the online 1.03 games to be a blast. Give it a try :)

Archived