Home

Your mouse choice for JK2?

Jedi_Yakko

I find myself in the position that I have to get a new mouse for my PC, and I'm curious to find out what other folks in the JK2 community are using for FPS games. PS/2 or USB? Optical or roller-ball? Cordless or not? Which mice have worked well for you, and which ones just haven't been precise or responsive enough?

Thanks in advance for your opinion. :)

-Y

I've had this odd problem where mice on the usb port won't be able to use a middle mouse button when a q3-engine game is being used.

Plug the same mouse into a ps/2 port with a little adapter thingy and it works fine though. All the mice I tested with were logitech.

middle button worked fine in windows, but not in game. Just something you might wanna be aware of.

As for preference, I always liked the logitech "bear paw" mouse. I think the last model they made of that shape was called the Wingman "gaming" mouse. I just like the shape, fills the hand well and has no stupid mouse wheel to screw me up. I also like the nice solid clicks the mouse has.

mm, here's a link with a screenie:

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/wingmanmouse/

Can't find it on the logitech website though, they've been making that mouse shape for nearly a decade so I figure they discontinued it.

If you were getting that problem then you probably had the wrong drivers but since its logitech it probaly wasn't the drivers, logitech drivers screwed my computer up so i just didn't use them.

I've got a Microsoft optical, Microsoft so it will actualy work with windows. Good thing is that you don't get the problem with the mouse only turning right after a while but it's not so good for sniping without a scope.

I think a mouse wheel in needed for all the pushing and pulling you need to do.

Xzzy - did you care to download the registry patch/settings from Logitech for the middle mouse button?

Jedi_Yakko: Mostly depends on your style of play, how serious you are and what other FPS's you intend to play with the mouse.

Optical mice are nice for the simple reason you don't need to clean em and remove all the gue the ball picked up and smears on the rollers, precision is comparable to the average roller ball mice out there (MS, Logitech). To my knowledge most (if not all) hardcore gaming mice come with a ball though, since these allow for a higher resolution (mind you, not talking of the $15 run of the mill mouse here ..) - these mice are pretty expensive in comparison though (seen these in the $100 range, non cordless!) and are overshooting the precision needed in JO by far and are rather suited for serious tourny players in game types like CS or DoD. Shots fired in JO are to slow and inaccurate (you don't snipe that much, it's rather spray and pray mostly), most gunnery takes part at close to med range - you don't need that kind of precision there.

I myself am using a Logitech wingman with a wheel (also have the 'MouseMan' mentioned above, which is hooked up to a linux box though) - opposed to Xzzy, I sure wouldn't want to miss the wheel cause I have push and pull mapped to it :D.

> Xzzy - did you care to download the registry

> patch/settings from Logitech for the middle mouse

> button?

I dunno, i played around with it for a few hours, downloading drivers, searching forums, uninstalling drivers, doing magic tricks, sacrificing small animals, you name it.

All I know is once I plugged into the ps/2 port it started working and at that point I ceased to care what the problem was.

nabroc: I consider myself a casual player, but I can hold my own. I enjoy having a good amount of precision from my little ol' PS/2 roller-ball mouse, I don't want to lose any precision or response time.

Next question... anyone have experience with cordless mice and JK2/other FPS games? I like the idea of a cordless mouse, my desk is a mess already, but it seems to me like it might not responsd fast enough for "twitch" games like JK2. Opinions?

-Y

depends on your budget. if you're aiming to save money, a basic optical/ball mouse would be fine.

opticals can sometimes skip, which means that when you move them very quickly, they dont move at all. if you use a high sensitivity, you shouldnt need to throw the mouse across to desk very often. if you're down around the 1-2 sens range, and need to throw the mouse 3 metres to the left to do a 180, then an optical probably wont be the thing for you. the other thing to note is that they dont have to be touching the surface, so again with low sens if you're picking your mouse up and skimming it back across your pad as with a ball mouse, then you're going to simply move the cursor back with it.

ball mice are good for people who enjoy low sensitivity. however, they're very vulnerable to food and stuff, so if you're a grub, either clean up or dont get one :) they require cleaning, and eventually you'll be cleaning it and something will break off, and you'll have to get a new one. they're cheap, but reknowned for being dodgy.

if you've got a huge budget, then get something with 4 buttons and a mousewheel. this will make you a formidable opponent with force, being able to direct forces such as lightning or push with incredible accuracy, and manipulate people with grip to your heart's content (assuming they dont disengage).

not sure about cord/cordless, but if you're considering one that works on radio waves, only get it if you wont be going near LANs and other places where other people could be using them. my friend had one at a LAN, and derived endless pleasure from the screams of dismay he caused by switching his frequency to the same as a person nearby him, and throwing his aim off.

i have a cheap microsoft 2 button + wheel laser mouse, and it works fine for me. it was about AU$60 (approx US$30) i think, but couldnt be sure. it's usb but comes with an adaptor.

Originally posted by Intangible

2 words.

razer boomslang.

the only mouse for me. so smooth and deadly.

I've heard a lot about the Boomslang....what makes it so much better than a regular mouse? I use a $20 (Cdn) optical mouse and I've had no problems.

Originally posted by thetoll

Does't matter what you use. I have just a basic optical intellimouse. But it's whats on the other hand that help. The Belkin nostromo. A must

I just got one of those! I've gone from around the top ten on 20 person FFA servers to averaging 3rd to 1st. Makes things soooo much easier.

Did you make your own loadout or use the one from offline? I made mine from scratch, but haven't figured out a use for the analog throttle wheel yet. Tried setting it to change weapons, but it acts like it keeps hitting the weapon key...you have to return it to a 'neutral' site to stop it.

I don't use a mouse!!!

I don't even own one anymore I gave mine away...

I use a " Logitech Trackman FX" trackball. (cost is about 60.00 U.S.) But I find the TrackBall faster, and more accurate on aiming!

How ever the "Boom Slang" is very well known for being the best for gameing, and the fastest of all (bar none) mice... The "Boom Slang" got a bad rap about a year ago, when the mother company went under. But the rights, and everything else were bought out. The company that now owns the "BoomSlang" has up held the quality of the mouse and totally supports it, with tech-support as well as covering the guarantees of the previously manifactured "BoomSlangs". But the price is still in the 50.00 to 60.00 U.S. price range!

~Nomad WR~

:duel:

Boomslang has 2000 dpi. Normal mouse has like 400. Meaning its much more precise, much smoother, and its incredibly smooth even at extreme sensitivities.

I've been usin one forever, and nobody else can use my mouse. Keep the thing cranked up to the 10th notch.

It's aslo a 5 button mouse, its got on the fly sensitivity adjustment, got scroll wheel.

It uses optics on the lil pinwheel, so thats why its so good, does essentially the same thing as an optical mouse, but on a much smaller surface, thus it requires less system resources and doesn't suffer from the 'skipping' optical mice can give yah.

I'd go with a boomslang if you can find one.

Lucky

Originally posted by tempest8008

Did you make your own loadout or use the one from offline? I made mine from scratch, but haven't figured out a use for the analog throttle wheel yet. Tried setting it to change weapons, but it acts like it keeps hitting the weapon key...you have to return it to a 'neutral' site to stop it.

I've been using the throttle wheel to walk. Like you said it acts like it keeps hitting the key when its set to a position, so i set it to the walk button and I don't have to hold anything down anymore. It makes controlling your saber easier.

Cool.

I'll have to try that....although I must admit I don't do a lot of walking in the game.

I'm sitting here now thinking what other keys I hold down a lot...the direction keys or the attack button are the only things that really come to mind...

I'll have to think about that...

Personally, I have the top left key set to NextWeapon, the one beside that to NextItem, the bottom left key to UseItem, then the four direction buttons, then the top right button set to UseForce, the one to it's left to NextForce, and the bottom right one to Lightsaber.

The pad buttons I have set this way.

Up=jump

Down=crouch

Forward=Protect

Back=Pull

Then I have my mousewheel set so that forward is Push and back is Absorb.

I can react pretty much instantly to Grip or lightning, and it's easy to flick on Absorb when I'm jumping long distances too. For anyone who has ever mashed keys in an attempt to turn on a force power or change weapons, get the Belkin Nostromo Speedpad ($39.99 Cdn at Futureshop).

It's USB, it's easy to setup and use, and it puts everything at your fingertips...assuming you use the right hand for the mouse and the left for the Nostromo. If you use the mouse left handed you probably won't like it.

http://www.belkin.com

Logitech Optical. The one with 2 laser tracking. No problems yet. Went through 3 Microsoft Opticals, they just cr@pped the bed randomly (stopped working, optics went screwy, etc).

I use USB.

Might be worth noting that for some reason with this mouse, i usually win saber locks. Granted I click like a madman (sometimes using both hands ;) near the far-right-inside-corner of my left mouse button. Don't know if it makes any difference, but it works for me.

for jk2 i would choose buttons over precision. the extra force powers at your fingertips (literally) would be much more valuable than simply having the extra precision required to swing the saber exactly 243 degrees or whatever you were hoping to do :)

Archived