Home

hardware question(attn Ike, Gunner)

Zargon

what, like that athlon 1800+ that i just built with the GF3 128 Ti 200 that I dropped 600 bucks on? yeah did that already :-D

I have TWO jobs actaully, working on a 3rd acutally..........I am getting this machine form work, wanna make it my DHCP/MP3/backup server...........just pump some extra ram in it I guess, unless I can find a PII 100 Mhz FSB mobo to put it on and speed boost it............................I have a while to decide, since I have NO MONEY at the moment, cuz I'm buying my router for DSL for august ahead of time.....

Originally posted by Zargon

since I have NO MONEY at the moment, cuz I'm buying my router for DSL for august ahead of time.....

You have a computer you are going to set up for DHCP and you are wasting money on a hardware router? Why not set up that computer as a software router aswell as DHCP?

I do realize that actually, this is just for now, I HAVE TO HAVE A HARWARE ROUTER OR MODEM for the dsl, period, its the only way my company works(i work at an ISP), its also, SUPER BADASS and can do 12349871240783 things that a software router cannot do, it will jsut run DHCP untill I get the hardware one isntall and running, then it will be on documents/mp3 duty most likely......

plus, I just got a $400+ router for 76 bucks......I think I got a good deal.

My new plan is this. I am going to slocket my PIII 600 to a celly 1.1, give the 600 to my bro, get his 450 and some ram as compensation, and slocket the p2 for 10 bucks to the 450(waste I know, but 10 bucks for a big boost in performance)

and hardware is always better than software, software can screw up alot more.

oh sorry, i forgot something important!!

ZARGON: a xeon don't works well for games... and the architechture of a xeon is very different!! you have two different mainboards, you have to check the bios. If you let the comp so how it was before, you will no anger....

and, you can buy a pentium III machine foe really cheap....

yeahm, but I only have to buy that processor, not a whole machinem i just spent 650 bucks on a machine, I don't need to spend lots more :-P

I wouldnt play games on the Xeon anyways, just serve mp3z and documents

Originally posted by Rogue9

prolly he doesn't realize how simple it is....I have a server at home though as well as my router, its just nice to watch peoples reaction when I describe my house :D

I have my main pc by my feet, 17" flat screen monitor infront right, 15" monitor infront left, a stack of 4 pcs to my right (file server, router, work pc, secondary work pc), brothers main pc behind me (with 17" monitor) and brothers second pc next to that (with 15" monitor).

:D

Archived