Home

Trooper and Repeater Trooper. Seperate units?

Darth Windu

I've been thinking about this for a while, and i thought i would bring it to the attention of the board. Should the trooper/Heavy Trooper be a seperate unit from the repeater trooper? The reason i say this is-

-Repeater trooper has to set-up gun to fire

-In modern armies, heavy machine gun infantry are seperate to normal infantry (hvy machine gunners support GI's)

and that the differences should be-

-repeater trooper more expensive, slower, less armour/hitpoints, but faster rate of fire and more powerful then standard troops, also, possible minimum range for repeater trooper.

Thoughts?

I agree, but the normal troopers should still have a t4 upgrade (+1 hp, +1 attack,etc)

It bothers me that the confeds troopers use a reapter "cannon" when they have repeaters on their hands in episode 2

I hope u c this garry ;)

I think that gungan troopers throw abit way too fast.

The confeds repeater cannons look so damn ugly. In episode 2 the super battle droids wrist blaster shoots as fast as a repeater.

That could b a cool advantage for the confed. Always repeaters, but they would cost more.

I don't think that the driods where firing near as fast as a repeater which is basicly laser mahcine guns and so would put out a strem of consant fire.

I would make repeaters have 30 to 40 hit pionts and fire as fast as now troopers on the other hand would stop at Hvys. but would have better armor and a higher attack. The repeater troopers would have 5 to 6 range by defulat but only like 3 or 4 damage some civs might get an upgragde so they carry a sheild. The unit would be farily slow about old AA trooper speed maybe slower it also couldn't get speed upgrades. it would cost about what a mountied trooper cost maybe more food maybe more nova it depends. It's propose would be to sit behind a line of troopers firing at enemy troopers from beyond their range they'd also be pretty good on defense. I don't know if it can be done but I think two guys as one repeater would like best. if not maybe make him drag it on a hover seld as he walks.

I see what your saying, but it doesn't matter. Also, if you play AOK, you will see they need to cost food. As Troopers and Repeaters, the Troopers would be obsolete unless you do what GN suggested and they wouldn't be obsolete. Although it's too late to make changes to this game, it would have been nice :(. At least I can hope they go with the new ES engine and make it a whole lot better and unique for once with at least six Civs....

J-5 - for the proposed differences, read my original post. The changes would make the Repeater Trooper and Heavy trooper significantly different, and would change the game so that the Hvy Trooper would be the main infantry unit, with repeaters in a supporting role.

Good idea realistically but why?

If you have repeaters then that is what every one will build and the heavy troopers will go out of favor. Personally i like heavy troops upgrading into repeaters cause once i hit t4 i have a mean green repeating machine that automatically replaces my troops that are either fighting a foward builder or camped outside the enemy. It seems like it was an idea that made sense and was fudged until it fit into the gameplay and usually games happen the other way around.

Not if they where diffrent if repeaters as I had them sucked on buildings but heavies got a slight bonus to them. Or maybe reapters are good on mechs not grenade or MD good but beter then a heavy trooper good. But weak as hell on heavy weapons with hvy troopers again getting a slight edge on them their'd be reason to have both.

Also reapters would cost more then hvy troopers like 50 food 10 nova and so they become support for an army of Hvy troopers.

Not to be the one dissenting voice in this thread, but...

I have no problem with repeater troopers being the upgrade to heavy troopers... while the realism of it may not be all there, this IS Star Wars which in and of itself isn't reality.

If you were going to do it though, you'd have to make it so they each specialized. ie Heavy troopers being good against mechs and heavy weapons while having repeater troopers being mainly good in an anti-infantry role.

I know some of you may not agree, but that's my opinion of the whole thing. I think the development team did a great job with what they were given in filling in the blank spots.

Peace Out...

nel - but where in any of the star wars movies do you se einfantry carrying around bulky machine guns with them? You're idea would work, with the repeater trooper being more effective against infantry, but i would also want them to be quite weak to off-set their benefit compared to heavy troops.

Darth Windu, I guess you're right...

The only argument I'm making is that they would have to be worth researching. Say, make a 'repeater technology' troop center research to be able to build them in T3 with a rate of fire increase in T4 and then give the heavy troopers a mech/heavy weapon damage increase in T4... that's all I'm saying... make them more separable. Having the repeater trooper as a weak support unit for heavy troopers would make no one want to research or build them. Just a thought, though...

Peace Out...

what i mean by having them as a support unit is that the repeaters would support hvy troops, just as grenade troops support standard troopers now, they would make up for a weakness in the hvy trooper, for example the repeater trooper could be stronger vs buildings and have a faster rate of fire than the hvy trooper (and so be better vs troops) but have less hitpoints and armour as well as being more expesnive and make it so that they have to be researched.

Archived