Home

Getting Lucas Arts' attention

Ready Wan

(reposted from closed thread. Please dont bump the thread which is what lead to the other one being closed)

Writing to Raven isnt producing any results (I'm assuming their hands and lips are being held by contractual agreements), though I think they'd very much like to patch 1.03.

think about it: they've made an INCREDIBLE game, which is much less than its potential due to this patch and other imbalances. If even from an artist's standpoint, I'm sure they dont care to leave their creation in its present state.

So rather than ragging on Raven, writing to Lucas Arts seems to be the best option for an OFFICIAL patch.

Here is the email address of a person at Lucas Arts who actually has something to do with the making of a patch:

tosti@lucasarts.com

Lucas Arts is the entity where the decision to make a patch will be made. Please send your comments to them. Messages that are polite (but direct) will have the best effect on L.A.

Not patching these severe problems is obviously bad business as well as bad for the company image.

Please take the time to write.

-RW

Perniciosus had a good point about reviews of JKO being focused on 1.02 rather than the game in its current state. He posted that he wrote to various gaming mags regarding the change. Perhaps some publicity from the mags might help. JK1 was voted the best game of all time a few years ago, and JKO is almost as good IMO.

These mags post info regarding game changes all the time...take the time to write.

Writing to L.A. and others is a constructive way of getting the go ahead on a new patch (hopefully more thought out and playtested).

-RW

another quick point: With all the sales of JKO, the chances of an expansion pack coming out is GREAT! That means Raven would have their hands untied as to fixing so many of the issues that the 1.03 patch introduced, as well as adding various features that will enhance the game (read: GSD etc).

there is so much that this game can do....but Lucas Arts is the key to getting anything done.

did you notice this interview with Michael Chang Gummelt

over at JO mod central?

here's a clip of pertinent information:

What, if anything, would you like to say about the negative reaction by a part of the community to the latest patch?

I’d have to say some people have some valid points about a couple things that can be exploited and I’d love to get a few fixes out there… and some people are a bit misinformed about what the patch actually did. In the end, though, that decision is up to LucasArts, not us, so all I can do is cross my fingers with the rest of you, really.

that speaks volumes! So not to beat the issue here, but Raven WANTS to do something about the game, but Lucas Arts is the one who has to make the decision. That means the more we email and write to them, the more attention the issues with 1.03 will get.

'nuff said.

Eh, we don't need a patch.

This Eradictor, author of the FanMod, will probably end up doing a better job than Raven.

Raven is great but they are restricted by what LucasArts demands.

Eradictor can just keep giving us more options to play with.

An OFFICIAL patch does everyone the most benefit:

The casual players who log on occasionally thru the week

The modders who have that much more to work with

The extreme players who look for the best competition

The entire community which isnt splintered into different factions

et. al.

please take time to write a polite email to L. A.

Regardless what some might say here, i *did* write LucasArts.

I really think this should be brought to their attention. Just ranting about everything here in this forums, surely doesn't do much, if anything at all. In here most people are just ways too subjective and rude. They post to get rid off their anger... well ok on that, but a Gaming Company wouldn't do any good to listen too much to those rants /me thinks.

But anyhow....

I wrote them because i really believe that Raven *wants* to do something (see SDK Source) but is held back because LucasArts doesn't see any need for a new patch with more gameplay changes.

Thats where we come in and should inform them that there *are* a lot of imbalances, and that releasing another Patch would fix more things than it could propably damage.

This said, I think the 1.03a Source (from the SDK) is a great play! It is much more balanced and simply more fun than 1.03. It actually would not take too much time or work to make a real nice patch out of this.

Just some additional fixes, like to throw, kick or lightning, as well as balancing out the saber damage / gun ammunition a bit would make this game even greater!

I've been a huge LucasArts and Star Wars Fan for ages now. And I still believe in this company, no matter what you guys might think.

With these (or similar) fixes the game would top off my all-time-favourites TIE Fighter and DOTT.

They have to let Raven do more stuff on the game, I mean so many people are buying it! Plus, there are a lot of gameplay issues that must be fixed and the freezing bug has got to be fixed. Also, more offical single player would be cool in a mission pack or something, but easy single player like the demo level.

I mailed Lucasarts today - here is what i said:

"I would like to write to BEG Lucasarts to patch Jedi Knight 2 to fix the imbalances in 1.03. I am sure you and Raven are aware that while the last patch made some improvements, it also created a whole host of new problems.

Michael Chang Gummelt of Raven is quoted as saying:

”I’d have to say some people have some valid points about a couple things that can be exploited and I’d love to get a few fixes out there… and some people are a bit misinformed about what the patch actually did. In the end, though, that decision is up to LucasArts, not us, so all I can do is cross my fingers with the rest of you, really.”

If you read the posts on Lucasforums I am sure you will see the venom being directed at the game as it currently stands. So many of us bought 1.02 and liked it. Sure - a few changes were needed to make saber combat more like single player but, while 1.03 brought changes that were good (Like a better feel to sabers), it raised so many problems that the game is much less fun now. It now is impossible to tell if you have hit people and there are a host of other problems (Which I am sure you can ascertain from the Lucasforums posts!!).

Surely a company with your commitment to customer service would at least consider making another patch. I think that the problem with the last patch was that it was rushed out too soon so I do not expect one immediately. However it would be nice to have some sort of commitment to another patch. PLEASE!!!!

You may feel that this should be left to the mod community. However the problem with mods is that they fragment the playing community. A WELL BALANCED AND THOUGHT OUT official patch would provide a common platform for everyone to play on.

I know you will not be able to please everyone but the game as it now stands is upsetting a lot of people who really see the potential of this game to be fantastic if properly patched. Please listen to the community who have supported Lucasarts in the past and will continue to do so if Lucasarts is seen to be responding to the needs of its customers."

Come on - lets ALL start mailing - you don't get if you don't ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I too mailed them simply stating what poor state the community is in now. Divided between patches awaiting the next patch to fix it so we can all play the same game again. I got no response and don't know if i should expect one. For some reason LucasArts doesn't strike me as a company that cares about the community and supports their game after they sell enough copies. Think we're going to have to wait for an expansion.

Keep the email and letters headed to Lucas Arts!

Yes it all gets read.

Yes each email (or letter) makes a difference.

Yes they will listen...why?

because they ARE interested in making money...which means there will be an expansion to JKO. They'd be throwing away an easy cash cow if they didnt.

By not patching the game, they will hurt the sales of an expansion.

granted, they may just make all changes and release it with a patch, but at least if we help them to see the need for a change, it will influence their next few decisions.

I'm sure L.A. doesnt appreciate bad publicity, bad press, or unsatisfied customers...but the way to help them to see that all three things are happening right now is to let them know by Email and by letter.

Few probably keep up on the bb and similar boards, but an email gets routed and shared and read and reread when there are meetings and such.

This is the email address to send to:

tosti@lucasarts.com

please take the time to write. It WILL make a difference.

-RW

Another interesting event is the release of the source for MP.

Raven appears to have made a few 'unofficial' changes and fixes in there.

as a theory for this, imagine:

Raven wants to fix the game. Lucas Arts says "no, we want to do an expansion pack. We'll fix it then".

Raven says "that'll be months down the road!"

L.A. says "tough. It's a business decision."

Raven says "Ok, you're the boss". With their hands tied, what can they do? The only thing is to release the source for the MP which they were gonna do in the first place, hoping that'll be at least something to help out the gamers who love the game as much as Raven (and its OBVIOUS that Raven loves this game, cause there is so much detail).

This is almost exactly what happened to Age of Kings. They didnt patch it till the expak came out...and the game nearly died cause of the imbalances in AoK....but the makers of the game had their hands tied by Microsoft.

this is just a theory, but it sure makes sense....

one thing that gets me tho

they say, "oh we will fix it in are Expansion pack" any proper normaly person at this point would be telling them where too stick it

if u cant sort your current problems, who the hell is going to go out and fork more money out too play with things, that more than likly will have problems :(

At this point, I'd be happy to pay for a patch. I really want to play this game, but 1.03 its current state is unplayable and less than fun.

1.02 was better, if only for the balanced force powers.

Please take the time to send an email. The more we send, the more attention this issue will get. Raven WANTS to do something....but we have to write in order for that to happen.

Archived