Home

Maw - wip

Madjai

Hi all, ive decided to finally focus all my attention on putting at least one character into JKO, and since Maw doesnt have any legs i thought he might be easier, or maybe harder ehe...

anyways, im in the early stages, just starting with his head, which i massively modified off of kyles.

http://www.geocities.com/madpostal2002/maw001.txt

any reference pics you guys can find would be helpful, also tips and criticism is welcome, in any form.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maw was cut in half at the waist in a lightsaber battle. He uses a a small repulsorlift sled that fits over the bottom of his torso. I was thinking that this could be accomplished by making some really simplistic legs for the model, and using the .surf thing to remove them.. would that work?

Woohoo, another Xizor avatar! Someone really needs to make a model of him...

BTW, Maw is looking great already. I'm glad you decided to go with the live-action Maw look rather than the cartoonish in-game Maw. Not having legs shouldn't be a problem either. You could just build basic pole legs over the skeleton and alpha them out later.

(insert maw smiley here)

Originally posted by jibe

Maw was cut in half at the waist in a lightsaber battle. He uses a a small repulsorlift sled that fits over the bottom of his torso. I was thinking that this could be accomplished by making some really simplistic legs for the model, and using the .surf thing to remove them.. would that work?

That might work, but then, it might be cheating... :-p

In the beggining cutscene of JK, Maw had legs. The jedi Jarek had captured cut them off before he died.

You could simply make that version. Or, juts make the legs an invisible shader on the skin or something, so that they could be damaged in a saber duel, but not seen.

Turning off a Surfaces is a lot better than alpha'ing them into invisibility. Turning off a Surface keeps the polys from those surfaces from loading, which can potentially increase speeds. As I understand it, alpha shaders also add their own drag because the game engine has to go through considerably more to make the stuff invisible.

Anywho.. Maw's head looks cool so far :) I think you should go with the hovering method, it'll work beautifully. He won't have to use caps to do it, just simply model the underside of the sled and make the super-simple legs that will be invisible. It'd be the very first hovering model in the game! The damage to the missing legs shouldn't detract much.

BradFu!

ok thanks for the replies

the only thing would look funny is when he rolls, but i dont think itll be a big problem.

for the tuant i will probably use the "Finally I get to whipe your putride taste from the force!" It's a bit long but i think itll work.

Originally posted by Madjai

ok thanks for the replies

the only thing would look funny is when he rolls, but i dont think itll be a big problem.

for the tuant i will probably use the "Finally I get to whipe your putride taste from the force!" It's a bit long but i think itll work.

that's the line... :D

Hey,

Nice start on the model.

I'd say either way would be cool. MAW with legs would work and MAW without would be fun as long as it's not to freaky in the game. For example, if invisible legs are used, then:

Would he still make footfalls?

Would the legs take damage?

What would happen if he was dismembered at the waist? (again--D'oh!)

But keep up the great work!

-DT

footsteps would be replaced by some sort of electric sound with air.

legs will still take damage no matter what

youd only see dismemberment in SP or some MP mod, but ill try and see if i can cut him at the waist just above the repulsorlift, and of course the arms, wrist and head.

for the legs, it will just look odd but still good.

it's pretty funny, i was always this past weekend and didn't check out the forum at all. i caught myself thinking who would be a really cool model to have in jkII? well, maw of course!

just got into the forum and what do i see? the man (ok, the half man), the myth, the legend, MAW! great minds think alike.

the head is looking awesome. can't wait to see how he progresses.

one question, though, couldn't you just model his upper half and not worry about the bottom half at all? do you really have to model the "legs," or couldn't the legs of the skeleton just not have anything bound to them? i'm pretty new to this modeling thing, so i'm a little confused.

Archived