Home

Galactic Battlegrounds. Should it have been produced by the makes of Total Annilation

Guest Excaliber

If there is no advantage to making a ship land why bother puttin the code hours into it? If the ships do have the ability to land then that would mean that they would HAVE to be attackable by ground troops and thus loose the only advantage they have over ground troops.
*Sigh* You fail to see my points. Or, you fail to accept them as a package, instead treating them as if they were completely separate statements. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and re-outline everything I said.

Dogfighting is fun. And it adds a lot of realism to the game. Your example of strafing aircraft that get shot down might work if there's no AA in the area. But what if there's a tower right next to your target, or if your target itself (heaven forbid) is the AA tower itself! What mentally-able fighter pilot would kick in his repulsors and hover in front of the tower? And because I know you're going to reply with "just attack where there aren't towers, or destroy the towers with ground"...sending in air raids to take out air defense prior to a big attack is commonplace in the SW universe. Just read the books.

But aircraft which dogfight look dumb unless they can land. Otherwise they zoom zoom zoom, dodge dodge dodge, then STOP! That's no good. So we let them land. But...oh no! Ground forces can shoot at them now. Well...isn't that the way it should be? Why can't a Stormtrooper pull out his laser rifle and take a couple of potshots at a passing Y-Wing? Don't complain that this would make the game "unbalanced"...no one said that every shot would hit, or that they would do insane amounts of damage. It would only make the game realistic.

ANd since total anihilaton has such crappy top down perspective, makin units land is a snap. Probably just addin some code to reduce the scalin to make it look smaller and smaller, and thus givin the illusion of landing.
I'm not even going to start with this one. It's blatantly ignorant. Yep. Ignorant. I bet you haven't even played TA. Therefore, my comments will never have any affect on you. So just leave this debate to the people who have experience with what they're talking about, ok? Thanks.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cast my vote for Zuxxez's Reality Pump Engine, featured in Earth 2150, The Moon Project, WWIII Black Gold, and a few other forthcoming 3d RTS titles.

Render and collision engine is fully 3d. Not locked to overhead view. Full-blown rotatable 3d. Units are customizable. Unit behavior can be scripted by the gamer real-time. Cycling of day to night, dynamic weather effects such as fog, snow and rain. Real-time deformable terrain (craters, engineer a defensive berm or trench), subterranean combat through tunnel digging. Very good graphics. Sample screens here and here. Plenty of dogfights with air units too. Reality Pump is probably one of the best 3d RTS engines available.

I would have voted for Ground Control's engine, but the unit count limit might get in the way. Still, if GB didn't require collection of resources such as 'carbon, food, and nova,' Ground Control would have been an oustanding engine.

The Moon Project and WWIII Black Gold fully support airborne units as well as naval units (surface and submarine).

Although note that neither Moon Project nor Earth 2150 have infantry type units. I dont know wether the newer games that use Reality Pump have infantry. The WWIII Black Gold demo didn't have infantry either, could be a limitation of the engine...

If you can do mechs, you can do infantry. There is no fundamental difference (as far as a game engine is concerned) between mechs and troops. All it takes is some nice scripting, and bam, you've turned a robot into a human. That's exactly what Star Wars: Total Annihilation did, and it looks great.

Guest Locust99

OgRe engine should be used... and hey it is on something

flu.... you promoting us wel..

people here just play SWTA and you will understand

Guest Luke Skywalker

I stilll cant believe this thread is still going.... Its like the energizer bunny it keeps going and going and going.

Guest DinoDoc
Originally posted by Influenza

Honestly, how many of you would complain if the aircraft in SWGB engaged in dogfighting?

Personally, I would not complain if the aircraft in SWGB engaged in dogfighting. The point is that the dogfighting feature appears way to few of the popular RTS engines that at this point in time I don't consider it worth complaining about the features absence especially in light of LA ineptness in building thier own engines.

Honestly though, I think the Homeworld engine would have been a better choice than either the AOK or TA engines, esp. in light of how poorly it preformed in TA: K.

Guest crazy_dog

Hey, man, once I had a YR air battle, a 3-way battle, in fact, between Yuri's UFOs, and and 2 other players (including me's) Siege Choppers which can attack other air units. They where all in the same place. No dogfights isn't really a RTS issue.

EFIT: Me pointing out something already said.:rolleyes:

Here, I'll cut a deal with anyone here who thinks that dogfighting is pointless in an RTS. PM me your address (or a nearby postal box, if you don't trust me [which I couldn't blame you for]), and I will burn you a copy of Total Annihilation and SWTA for you to play. All you have to do is play the game, build some A-Wings, and go cruisin' around hunting TIE's. Then you come back and tell me how much fun it is.

Ok? Is that a deal?

The point is that the dogfighting feature appears way to few of the popular RTS engines that at this point in time I don't consider it worth complaining about the features absence especially in light of LA ineptness in building thier own engines.

Ground Control. That engine has it all, though since it isn't resource based it might not fit...

The TA engine surely would work better than the AoK, I've just played the demo, and it wasn't exactly enjoyable. Sure, the infantry and most other units (except the flying THINGS) looks quite good when they're standig still. When the animations start it just doesn't appeal to me anyomore. The AT-ST's stood out of the crowd with the absolutely worst animations in the game. Those mounted units that shot fire looked kinda cool until the fire first showed up. It needs to be redone. Badly.

Positive things with the demo include Darth Vader (he's always cool) and infantry in general. They look pretty good at least. The AoK mission scripting system will surely add alot to the game too. Overall, I think that single player will save this game and make it enjoyable for a while. Multiplayer however really seems like a step backwards from AoK though, since there isn't really any melee unit in SW and there aren't any new features to make up for it.

Do yourself a favor, when you've completed SW:GB singleplayer, go play SWTA instead and never look back.

Personally, I would not complain if the aircraft in SWGB engaged in dogfighting. The point is that the dogfighting feature appears way to few of the popular RTS engines that at this point in time I don't consider it worth complaining about the features absence especially in light of LA ineptness in building thier own engines.
I'll say it again. This is Star Wars. LucasArts owes it to the movies and fans to make this an outstanding game, far beyond all competition. If they really cared about making this a fantastic game, one that would be remembered for a long time for a reason other than having the words "Star Wars" in its title, they would have packed all the Star-Wars-esque features into the game they could have. But LA again seems content to make a good game, not a great game. Hell, as long as SW junkies keep shelling out the $$$ for every game they produce, why should they take the time and effor to make a great game?

I don't know about you guys, but I'm tired of "good" Star Wars games. I can count on one hand the number of great SW games: Tie Fighter (with addon), Super Return of the Jedi (SNES), Dark Forces, and Rebellion (ok, just kidding on Rebellion ;)).

Take into consideration LucasArts' other great games: Full Throttle, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Grim Fandango, and Day of the Tentacle. Isn't it sad, that LA can create more great games out of original material than they can with Star Wars material?

Just something to think about.

Guest DinoDoc

But LA again seems content to make a good game, not a great game.

I'll be happy if they can make a good game. *cough*Force Commander*cough*

Hell, as long as SW junkies keep shelling out the $$$ for every game they produce, why should they take the time and effor to make a great game?

At this point I'll be satisfied if they make an apology on the scale of what Westwood did for Tiberian Sun.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm tired of "good" Star Wars games. I can count on one hand the number of great SW games: Tie Fighter (with addon),

I count these as more the work of Totally Games than LA. Just like I refuse to give Havas Interactive credit for any of Blizzard's games.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm tired of "good" Star Wars games. I can count on one hand the number of great SW games: Tie Fighter (with addon), Super Return of the Jedi (SNES), Dark Forces, and Rebellion (ok, just kidding on Rebellion ;)).

Flu, you forgot Dark Forces 2... now THAT is a good game...

Influenza,

If you have noticed, this is a GALACTIC BATTLEGROUND forum, not an ANTI-galactic battleground forum. Your mod sounds cool and maybe we'll check it out, but 99% of the people here are here to talk about Galactic Battlegrounds. If you want to promote your mod, fine, but don't knock GB.

BTW- Will your Jedi have force powers, that'd be cool

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Darth_Nixon42

Wow, this thread will never end....

Influenza, i admire a person with such creative ability to actually make a mod. I for one have never played your mod, and never will because of my location :rolleyes:

Any way, regardless of how good your is. TA was rubbish compared to AOK. And now the AOK engine is at an end. It is unlikely that we will ever see it again.

So lets not bring the glory of a antique engine down, let it have it last dance in peace.

Btw, The Ground control engine would have been great

Guest Frogspit

I think engine choice is all matter of PC market.

AoK engine run on slow PCs and limitations helps to skin it faster than a complex 3D engine.

It allow more time do add modifications, work on gameplay balance and hit the market faster.

I think that almost all engines would have result differently and so could multiply StarWars Games.

Comparison would be a matter of personal preferences.

If we talk number of units on screen,

Cossak is blasting. Unit moves and options are also better than AoK from my viewpoint. Yeah Cossak got bad points also :(

If we talk 3D nice looking,

last Dune 3D engine would have been also a good choice, but would have request more powerfull PCs.

What about using Myth II engine?

This would have result in limited units but interesting close up on missions.

Now let me Dream about an ultimate version...

using a Black&White engine adapted for battlefield...

Would be Awesome no?

Yep forgot about Creatures, jut think enhanced units, buildings etc. Why not terraforming.

ex. An ATAT that walk in snow, hit and fall grabbing a full bench of snow....

Sounds good no?

Guest Darth_Nixon42

Good Point Frogspit,

they chose the engine that could run on all systems. And while it would be nice to have a ground control engine. It would require the user to buy a good pc.

Black and white eh?... hrm not bad. I hated the game, but the graphics would have adapted to an rts nicely..

Archived