Home

Why do both women and film critics hate Star Wars so much?

Darth Groovy

I could put Aliens in there, but know way would I remove Robocop. In fact the only reason I left Aliens off, was to make sure I had room for Robocop. Remember this is only a short version of my list. And it is not designed just to make people mad, it is only one man's opinion. I am a fan of Sci-Fi but only because I like to watch it evovle over the years. There is no better way to judge the progression of time than watching a sci-fi movie! Megaforce was sweatbands and spandex galore! I admit that on occasion it is good for laughs, but it never should have been made. As for The Postman.....sure I watched it and that is another couple of hours of my life I won't get back. Really Kevin Kostner has not been in a good movie since The Untouchables. I think he is the worst actor in the world, especially since he absolutely ruined, and I do mean RUINED Robin Hood: Prince of Theives, wich could have been a great movie if somebody else would have played Sir Robin other than Costner. Now I know that comment is going to cause trouble, but I don't care. Kevin Costner needs to retire!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Lime-Light

Did you see Star Wars?

Mark Hammil cant act. He did ok in the OT, becuase thats a pretty easy character to pay. But you'll notice he never made any other notable movies. Thats becuase he cant act.

You are right about that. Acting has never been a strong point in the Star Wars movies. It is usually a mix of actors who can and cannot act. But then again it is hard for some poeple to demonstrate any talent when they are part of a story that is told at light speed.[/b]

And Contact was pretty good, but I would have liked to see some kind of Alien...[/b]

I had high hopes for this movie which is probably why I hated it so much. I totally love Jodie Foster, I think she is an amazing actress. I just felt this movie took me absolutely no where, I left in discust. To have seen something at the end would have been nice, but this trend was popular in the Blair Witch project also. Contact is like a Blair Witch with a budget, and equally awful.

As for groovy's list, I think you could remove Robocop and tack Aliens there instead. [/b]

It might have been easier for me to have just put in Alien Legacy but I don't like all of the films the same. Aliens was the crown in that particular series I agree. It seems so long ago but Alien started a new trend in Sci-Fi that some film producers just can't leave alone. I saw an old 50's B movie called "IT came from Another Planet" or something like that, that had the exact same plot and set up as Alien......wierd huh?

Originally posted by obi-wan13

Dang Straight! The Dune movies Were AWESOME!!!!!!!!

My Favorite part is when they rode the worms. Somethin about that just.........kicks arse...........

I have not seen anything past the one with Kyle Mcglaughlin. The only thing good about this film is special effects, but like Contact, I left confused and angry. When they put it on television the first time they used a narator. So I thought "cool" maybe now I could figure out what was going on, but by the middle of the film I was lost again. I am sorrry but a movie that requires you to read the book just to understand the plot and story is not entertainment in my opion. Dune was probably the biggest dud of the 80's, but at least it did not star Kevin Costner.

I would be willing to give something in the Dune universe a second chance, only if I can figure out what is going on. I love the sets and the worms, but not enough to sit through another disaster like the first one. Sorry.

Mark Hammil cant act. He did ok in the OT, becuase thats a pretty easy character to pay. But you'll notice he never made any other notable movies. Thats becuase he cant act.

No...it's because his face was screwed up from a car accident and he was typecast because he didn't go far afield from SW. Let's do an exercise: in the end of RotJ Luke has lines like most of the characters in AotC, name an actor who did a better job with those lines that was not Christopher Lee. Hrmmm...not many. Even Samuel Jackson did a poor job with 'em.

I had high hopes for this movie which is probably why I hated it so much. I totally love Jodie Foster, I think she is an amazing actress. I just felt this movie took me absolutely no where, I left in discust. To have seen something at the end would have been nice, but this trend was popular in the Blair Witch project also. Contact is like a Blair Witch with a budget, and equally awful.

You know, I was really dissapointed by Contact when I saw it in theaters, I was expecting a hardcore Sci-Fi extravaganza, and got what I got. But then I happened to watch it on HBO when I was bored at a family friends house, without any expectations, and I really enjoyed it. You may want to try watching it again...

As for Kevin Costner, he is iffy, certainly--nothing stellar about his acting, but he makes for a good enough movie. That one about the Cuban Missile Crisis was his best acting, IMO (can't recall the title at the moment).

Originally posted by Vestril

No...it's because his face was screwed up from a car accident and he was typecast because he didn't go far afield from SW. Let's do an exercise: in the end of RotJ Luke has lines like most of the characters in AotC, name an actor who did a better job with those lines that was not Christopher Lee. Hrmmm...not many. Even Samuel Jackson did a poor job with 'em.

You know, I was really dissapointed by Contact when I saw it in theaters, I was expecting a hardcore Sci-Fi extravaganza, and got what I got. But then I happened to watch it on HBO when I was bored at a family friends house, without any expectations, and I really enjoyed it. You may want to try watching it again...

As for Kevin Costner, he is iffy, certainly--nothing stellar about his acting, but he makes for a good enough movie. That one about the Cuban Missile Crisis was his best acting, IMO (can't recall the title at the moment).

I know which one you are talking about, I try to stay clear of anything he is in, but the Cuban Missle crisis was a good subject. Another Costner movie I failed to mention was JFK. That one was pretty good, but not because of Costner.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived