Home

Why do both women and film critics hate Star Wars so much?

Darth Groovy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My sisters loved AotC and all the other Star Wars films.

70% of critics liked AotC.

The reason they didn't like TPM was simple. It's a **** film. Plain and simple. I'm as big a fan as anyone but the film was crap. No amount of special effect can hid the poor story, bad acting and underdeveloped characters. And for the record, Jar Jar was not a factor for me. He was ok.

Women and Critics do like Star Wars. Not all but then again not all Men like Star Wars either.

Yes I agree... My sister, has absolutly no taste in movies whatsoever, this is not directed to women in general because as far as that goes I am not sure.

But any movie of quality is trash to my sister, and by that reasoning I know that it was good. The only thing my sister will ever like are teen flicks and most "chic" flicks.

people are ignorant. half the kids in my class say Star Wars sucks. They're like "What's so great about it," or "it's so boring." Most of these people watched 15 min of ANH. Of course it's gonna be boring in the beginning. He had to establish characters. Some kids haven't seen it at all and they just call it gay because they can't think for themselves and they live in a generation where they don't have to care about anything except how they look and what radio station they listen to. I hate ignorant people but unfortunately the world will never change.

For those who have seen this film and hate it, they must be retarded. It's a whole new world filled with amazing feats of ability that we would never be able to pull off. It's getting to see everything you ever wanted to do but couldn't because of our limited technology. And it's just a classic movie.

Hold on to that one Wolfman, she sounds like a keeper :D

Honestly, it seems rather difficult to find girls/women who actually like the Sci fi genre, so it's a breath of fresh air when you do. Besides, if they like Star Wars, they could "have their pick of any geek"(Triumph the insult dog, that was frickin' hilarious BTW).

Anyone else notice how girls will most often fall for the biggest idiot they can find and someone that will treat them like crap?

Just something I've noticed(Not talking about you Wolfman, you're girl seems like a smart one :D)

My girlfriend, bless her heart, went to sit through episode II with me. When you first see obi-wan in the lift, she points and says:

"That is Luke Skywalker, right?"

I just sighed and said "yes"

She doesn't really like star wars, but she doesn't hate it either. And critics hated AOTC because they where doing their job:Critisizing.

most critics these days grew up during the first trilogy and expect to be moved the same way that they were then, the fact is that you're more easily moved by movies when you're a kid, i understand some ppl not liking ep1 but ep2 was simply a masterpiece. god what a creation! i didnt really like ep4 either just because the effects were sad (due to budget) and vader was a puss, he walked around taking orders from tarkin which should never have happened, and his voice was higher. well anyway you can bet that when im a critic (god bless i get such a job) ill put starwars on the top of my list

Originally posted by Reb_Starblazer

Hold on to that one Wolfman, she sounds like a keeper :D

...you're girl seems like a smart one :D)

Thanks I appreciate it. She is wonderful and I love her dearly, and she is also my best friend (**Audience: Awwwwwwww**). She really makes me feel lucky.

Both Ep 1 & 2 where great in my opinion because it stuck with the same stuff that the original starwars movies had. Thats what made them great! Don't change what's already working. It just enhanced them more and added more to the entire universe. It made it enjoyable not only to the starwars fan, but for everyone. :D

Great work Lucas. /me Waits for Ep 3 patiently...

Originally posted by obi-wan13

My girlfriend, bless her heart, went to sit through episode II with me. When you first see obi-wan in the lift, she points and says:

"That is Luke Skywalker, right?"

I just sighed and said "yes"

She doesn't really like star wars, but she doesn't hate it either. And critics hated AOTC because they where doing their job:Critisizing.

Bless her soul. The last girlfriend hated Star Wars, the one before that loved to watch them with me, the one I like now just thinks it is cute that I like it so much. A girl I talk to at work takes great pride in ripping on everything that is Star Wars.:dmaul3:

Originally posted by D.L.

My sisters loved AotC and all the other Star Wars films.

70% of critics liked AotC.

The reason they didn't like TPM was simple. It's a **** film. Plain and simple. I'm as big a fan as anyone but the film was crap. No amount of special effect can hid the poor story, bad acting and underdeveloped characters. And for the record, Jar Jar was not a factor for me. He was ok.

Women and Critics do like Star Wars. Not all but then again not all Men like Star Wars either.

I just don't see what was so bad about it. It was fast paced, new exiting fun. It really is one of my favorites. In my opinion however, no movie can top Empire!

I went to see SW2 with four of my female cousins ranging in age from 9 to 20 and they all loved it. The 20-year-old was even inspired to watch the entire original trillogy which she hadn't done for... probably as long as she can remember. In my Youth Group, there's also at least one other girl I talk to who absolutely loves all things Star Wars. There's only one girl I know who says she hated SW2 and she probably only said that because she likes to mess with our heads.

BTW, I don't think it's fair to say SW1 had bad character development... on its own, yes, they were shallow... but SW1 is part of an epic storyach and we're still learning things about the characters in it--even a character who died (Qui-Gon). SW1 got done what it had to get done.

Jedi_Monk.jpg

Good guy flick = Robots, naked women, dinosaurs, guns, more naked women, space ships, naked female aliens, swords, naked female dinosaurs, blood, monsters, guys in hockey masks killing naked women, car chases, lots of fighting, lots of profanity.

Good chick flick = 4 old broads sitting around drinking coffee and crying.

People will almost try to hate Star Wars/Science fiction even before they see it.

They are the same types who get all uptight when someone rips a fart in an elevator, instead of just giggling like everyone else.

Originally posted by Homosexual Ewok

Good guy flick = Robots, naked women, dinosaurs, guns, more naked women, space ships, naked female aliens, swords, naked female dinosaurs, blood, monsters, guys in hockey masks killing naked women, car chases, lots of fighting, lots of profanity.

you really do scare me

Hell's Yea!!!:laughing:

Her all time favorite movie is Willow!!

Holy moley!! That movie is awesome!!!!!

That wasn't funny until the 'Good chick flick' part. At that point:

:rofl::lol::rofl:

Critics dislike Star Wars because of a fairly complex situation. You see there are a few, famous critics who are really loudmouthed, and seem smart, so people believe them. The trouble is that they have really bad taste in movies, so they rave over crap, and snub gold (though AotC isn't gold :p). The lesser critics are essentially sheep, and they want to look smart, so they try to pattern their taste after the few loud, seemingly smart ones, rather than form an opinion. This is why the bad reviews of good movies tend to make the same idiotic, bad points.

Women secretly love Star Wars, but some of them say they hate it to assert their power over their male companions--the nice ones don't bother pretending :p (some were just never exposed to it, if you start them at the begining, they'll generally come around).

Alot of these critics are the same poeple that liked "Fight Club" which in my opinion is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Alot of critics liked "American Beauty" , that one is pretty terrible but not as bad as Fight Club. Unlike Fight Club, American Beauty held my interst until the terrible ending. Fight Club insulted me all the way through and really stuck it too me with one of the stupidest endings I have ever seen. Most critics also like movies if they are "foriegn" or Avant Guard. Critics also love "The English Patient", Hell, I am not going to even touch that one!:barf:

I tend to just ignore critics these days. they never have anything to say that affects me.

On the women thing, I went to see ep 2 with a big group [like 10] on my friends, and there were more girls than guys in it. [like a 6/4 split I think] I even had a lightsaber fight with one of them after the movie. whoever made teh generalization that women don't like Star Wars is hanging out with the wrong women.

Originally posted by shidobu

I tend to just ignore critics these days. they never have anything to say that affects me.

On the women thing, I went to see ep 2 with a big group [like 10] on my friends, and there were more girls than guys in it. [like a 6/4 split I think] I even had a lightsaber fight with one of them after the movie. whoever made teh generalization that women don't like Star Wars is hanging out with the wrong women.

Have your people call my people and let's do lunch!

Originally posted by darthgroovyii

Alot of these critics are the same poeple that liked "Fight Club" which in my opinion is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Alot of critics liked "American Beauty" , that one is pretty terrible but not as bad as Fight Club. Unlike Fight Club, American Beauty held my interst until the terrible ending. Fight Club insulted me all the way through and really stuck it too me with one of the stupidest endings I have ever seen. Most critics also like movies if they are "foriegn" or Avant Guard. Critics also love "The English Patient", Hell, I am not going to even touch that one!:barf:

Wow, I completely disaggre with everything you just said bud. But that's okay :D

Archived