Home

New Patches - ending the myths

tempest8008

Okay, let's clear the air.

There is NO official version 1.04 patch for JKII.

There are at least two UNofficial ones, 1.03a and 1.04, and a mod called Jedi Moves 2.0

For those in the know (and I don't include myself in that group) what is the deal with these patches?

1) Do I need them to play on certain servers?

2) Where the heck do you download them?

3) What do they do?

4) If I install these 'patches' can I continue to play on regular V1.03 servers, or am I limited to 'patched' servers?

Thanks in advance,

I believe that the 1.03a is serverside, meaning you don't have to get it if the server if running it.

The rest you have to have installed to work, and you can't join servers running these mods without having it installed first. When they're installed, you'll probably get the opputunity to select it in the mod menu at the main menu. Select the chosen mod and join a server running it. While the mod is running, you cannot join the regular servers, so you'll have de-select it, before doing so.

What they do depends on each mod, they'll mostly try to balance what is wrong with this game right now - meaning you can't backstab like you used to in most of these mods fx.

You can download them at http://www.jediknightii.net i believe. Or jk2files.com

Problem is finding servers that run them.

In-game browser doesn't do it, qtracker can find it but there aren't many that show up (like one or two). Only way to really find these servers is by server title, which are normally completely unhelpful.

In other words community response to these fixes has been pretty much nonexistant.

Originally posted by cjais

Regarding lazy servers, I find that many servers don't download all the fine skins, models and maps out there... They exist for a reason, put them to good use ffs.

the JHQ servers have lots of maps and skins, and we're getting more and more because leelink might be going to give ftp access to clan members to add maps:D

Originally posted by Twins of Doom

the JHQ servers have lots of maps and skins, and we're getting more and more because leelink might be going to give ftp access to clan members to add maps:D

Aye, your servers have some good maps. For example, you're the only server I've seen yet, that plays the awesome kamino map...

The sdk was "pre patched 1.03a" so any mods that come from the sdk are going to be patched. The 1.04 is just the compiled sdk (not sure why they called it 1.04 if they didnt alter it). It should be 1.03a but anyways. I think raven didnt wanna deal with the community after the last patch so he seems to have left it in our hands. In 1.03a backsweep is no longer a 1 hit kill. The in air blue lunge can no longer be done in air. Saber throwing is disabled in saber challenges. Its harder to push pull ppl down. Heavy stance seems to do a little more damage on swings. And probably other stuff i didnt notice. Anywho... i really wish the community would start using this new "unoffical patch". I also wish SOMEONE WOULD POST IT ALREDY!!!!

-end rant

I've been running a small FF dual map for about a month and a half that runs the custom maps exclusively. I have it so you can use any model or skin you have also.

For the mods you've mentioned if the server installs them correctly then you dont need to DL anything to join as long as you have the offical v1.03 installed. if you do have jedi moves or any other umod then it shouldn't affect gameplay if you join a server with a different mod running (again, if the server installed them correctly)

Almost all the mods mentioned here are available here at jediknightii.net or massasi.com, jedi-outcast.com, jedicenter.com or jk2files.com.

Originally posted by DarthCobra

The sdk was "pre patched 1.03a" so any mods that come from the sdk are going to be patched. The 1.04 is just the compiled sdk (not sure why they called it 1.04 if they didnt alter it). It should be 1.03a but anyways. I think raven didnt wanna deal with the community after the last patch so he seems to have left it in our hands. In 1.03a backsweep is no longer a 1 hit kill. The in air blue lunge can no longer be done in air. Saber throwing is disabled is saber challenges. Its harder to push pull ppl down. Heavy stance seems to do a little more damage on swings. And probably other stuff i didnt notice. Anywho... i really wish the community would start using this new "unoffical patch". I also wish SOMEONE WOULD POST IT ALREDY!!!!

Good stuff, 'cobra...

So, the Software Development Kit (SDK) that was released to produce mods is pre-patched with 1.03a. So anything produced by the SDK is automatically patched.

Does that mean I could be playing on a FFA server, and it switch from a non-SDK map to one produced by the SDK and suddenly the gameplay will change to reflect the modded map?

/me confused.

If the above is the case, if we want to try out 1.03a, should we be looking for games with particular maps?

Okay, did some digging:

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/jedioutcast/

This page contains the Dedicated Server 1.03a versions. I assume this is what is required. Nothing client side is needed, the changes are all server-side. The server needs the regular 1.03 patch installed before the 1.03a will work.

> and it switch from a non-SDK map to one

> produced by the SDK and suddenly the gameplay

> will change to reflect the modded map?

Yes, but not because of the way you're thinking.

Maps don't care what version you're playing. They're plain old bsp files, much the same ones we've been using ever since the first Quake.

So, there's no such thing as an "SDK-map".

The thing that makes 1.03 different from 1.03a is a compiled hunk of code called a qvm. Easiest way to imagine that is it's a module that defines the set of rules the game uses.

Quake, or in this case jk2, can use both maps and qvm's seperatley. They don't have to be in the same pk3, you can swap them both in and out as you desire.

As someone said above the mods or "patches are mostly serverside only. If you guys want to play servers with these mods the best thing to do is disable autodownload. Then when you connect to a server running the mod it wont give you and error message. Otherwise you need to download all the mods and run them like someone suggested from the mod menu.

Do not call servers lazy. We try to keep people in our servers. I pay a lot of money to run a server and I hate to see it empty. I was running lots of custom maps, but people just dont have them. Everytime my server hits a custom map everyone gets kicked. I even post where to get the maps in my motd. The duel of the fates map by livingdeadjedi is in my rotation and I consider it to be one of the funnest maps out there. But ive never seen anyone connect and play while that map is up. Then, many maps have bugs, no bot routes (major problem there) or lag, or they are just plain boring and not laid out well. Many maps like these I take out of the rotation. I like to have at least one bot around so I have someone to play against. Plus it gives people a chance to connect and play when it is empty till it is full.

> So, if we wanted to start getting people to run at

> the 1.03a level, what do we have to tell them to

> install/download?

Users download nothing.

The "rules" for multiplayer quake/jk2 are controlled by the server, so only the server has to know the rules for you to play the game.

> Do not call servers lazy. We try to keep people in our servers.

Then server admins need to give their servers descriptive names.

---++=== HOUSE OF DEATH ===++---

Helps me not one single bit.

frag.net (SO/NF/1.03a)

Is ten times more helpful and I'm ten times more likely to connect to a server if I can identify what I'm getting in to.

That's what I mean by "lazy" server admins. Just TELL people what you're running. :)

Xzzy, easykill does have a point about the custom maps: the newbs don't have 'em.

But models and skins you can supply! That doesn't matter if a person doesn't have them.

About the maps, maybe you could write *custom maps* or something similar in the server description like Xzzy said.

I'm just talking about mods and server settings.

The maps thing I can understand, even though it's unfortuneate since some of the maps that come with the game are truly amazing pieces of crap.

Hey I've got a question about what I heard here. Someone said that all the changes for 1.03a are server-side, right? Why is it that I have a 1.03a.pk3 file in my game folder?

Also, is it version 1.04 that lets you wallwalk at any time (even when you are in the air)?

slacker

This is what is available on my server:

Skins:

Darth Vader

Episode 2 skin pack

Bikini Skin pack

Mandalorian skin pack

Couple different maul skins

TOJ skin pack

Babylon 5 skin pack

Zap pack

Star Trek pack

Mortal Kombat pack

Maps

Stock FFA

Episode 1 Duel of the Fates by: living dead jedi (couple different versions make sure you get correct one)

ffa_Hoodmap01

skyhigh

Padstation

Kektic Aquatics

Duel of the sith

Kamino cloning Lab

Naboo Courtyard

Naboo Hangar

Jabba's Palace

As far as names go, its hard to fit all the info needed in such a small space. I have "AOD Stomping Grounds Saber Only" I think the only gets cut off. I have to advertise my stats page so people can check it out and I have some other things in my motd that are important. Its hard to fit any mods I might have in the browser name.

Archived