Home

A Republic Gunship we can all live with!

Darth Windu

Which would you prefer for the Republic Gunship in SW:GB?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer for the Republic Gunship in SW:GB?

• Gunship as the 2nd Republic unique unit
    • Gunship as a toybox unit
    • Gunship as a cheat unit
    • I don\'t want the Gunship at all

Originally posted by Kryllith

This is an interesting point which has either being overlooked. Of course, given the dynamics of SWGB, it's possible it's simply been ignored given that all units have to stop before they fire. If SWGB II (or it's equivalent) made fighters strafe like they do in the movies, then one of the unique qualities of the Gunship (or similiar armed transport) would be hovering and firing. I can think of a number of ways this could affect gameplay. A hovering gunship would be an easier target, but also have better accuracy, while fighters/bombers would be harder to hit but perhaps poorer aim. Additionally, the Gunship could hover just outside the range of turrets to attack troops. While fighters/bombers would have to keep moving and putting them in jeopardy of the turrets more often (of course, since they could fire while their flying...)

Kryllith

You're right, this could work in SWGB 2, but I don't think it would be good to force helicoper-like units on all the civs. It could be good with unique unit sets, and accurate fire could be one of it's strengths.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking of it for the Gunship specifically as a unique unit, but I know a number of people suggested having armed transports for all the civs so it could apply there too. Personally I'd prefer only 1 or 2 UU having it since it would futher create diversity.

Kryllith

Originally posted by Sithmaster_821

In other words he not adaptable and knows only one strat.:lol:

First, let's clear something up. I could beat you at this game any settings, any speed, any map. I don't like fast speed because IMO it is not as fun and it is a pain to manage battles and to click on units, but I could easily beat you or pbguy on it. I am used to normal, and you are used to fast. I like explored because I hate the micro of exploring the map, you like unexplored. They are just different preferences on how the game is most fun.

When I host a game and it specifically says normal speed explored map, and illiterate morons wait until after launch to say "wait, normal, i thought it was fast, change it or i leave" that will not make me change it, it will simply give me contempt for their inability to read. I don't care if everyone else wants fast, I don't care if you are gleefully giggling on the phone as you join pbguy in spamming FAST NOW just to annoy me, it stays as normal. If everyone leaves, I find 3 other people and launch again.

Okay maybe that was a bit harsh but hopefully you get the point. :) You were giggling something about "bringing this [the game] up on the forums" but I didn't think you would really post it. Yet you went and instigated another flame war. Let's get this thread back on topic :)

simwiz2 @ pbguy1211

If you want to settle this debate about who can beat who at what settings, then just go ahead and play it out - then at least you will both know the answer to that question...

Sithmaster

I see you changed your picture ID - any reason for that - i preferred the previous one - but i suppose change can be refreshing sometimes...?

Originally posted by pbguy1211

And I'm saying you could NOT beat me in a normal game, at even NORMAL speed on an unexplored map. It's part of the game. Period. Only noobs play with explored maps.

Whether the map is explored or not will not make that big of a difference. Since the settings were what I am used to, I admit I may have had a slight advantage, but that game was NOT close. You lost horribly. I don't remember if it was me or Sith who rushed you, but if Sith rushed you successfully then I can rush you even easier. And if I rushed you, then I already beat you. You were defeated early, with no more struggle than a high inter has taking out a low rook. Only morons call those who are better than them n00bs.

Give me a few days to get re-used to unexplored, and then we can have a 1v1 or 2v2 if u want. You think you're so good, then prove it. Just try to actually play the game out this time, rather than resigning after 20 minutes as soon as troops appear near your base and proceeding to cry about the speed.

And having a slower speed does NOT cause someone to do worse. So no whining when the game is normal speed. Playing on normal is a habit left over from when I had a slow piece of **** computer, and it was impossible to click on things when the speed was fast. Now that I have played both speeds on my new computer, I still find normal more fun.

Pbguy, you are the very definition of a sore loser. You get beat, you whine about the speed and settings. If you don't like the settings then don't play in my game! If you get beat, say gg and get over it, don't make lame excuses! Hopefully in any future games there will be no crying when you lose. You are the only one who would lose a game and then bring it up on forums and then call the person who beat you a n00b. It defies common sense: if you lose you don't brag about it because you don't have anything to brag about, and the person who beat you (easily) is obviously better than you.

The gunship thread is on its 7th page now:eek:

And none of it makes sense!:D Most of it is windu's innane drivel and a whole bunch of nothing, plus a flame war or two

Whether the map is explored or not will not make that big of a difference. Since the settings were what I am used to, I admit I may have had a slight advantage, but that game was NOT close. You lost horribly. I don't remember if it was me or Sith who rushed you, but if Sith rushed you successfully then I can rush you even easier. And if I rushed you, then I already beat you. You were defeated early, with no more struggle than a high inter has taking out a low rook. Only morons call those who are better than them n00bs.

Give me a few days to get re-used to unexplored, and then we can have a 1v1 or 2v2 if u want. You think you're so good, then prove it. Just try to actually play the game out this time, rather than resigning after 20 minutes as soon as troops appear near your base and proceeding to cry about the speed.

And having a slower speed does NOT cause someone to do worse. So no whining when the game is normal speed. Playing on normal is a habit left over from when I had a slow piece of **** computer, and it was impossible to click on things when the speed was fast. Now that I have played both speeds on my new computer, I still find normal more fun.

Pbguy, you are the very definition of a sore loser. You get beat, you whine about the speed and settings. If you don't like the settings then don't play in my game! If you get beat, say gg and get over it, don't make lame excuses! Hopefully in any future games there will be no crying when you lose. You are the only one who would lose a game and then bring it up on forums and then call the person who beat you a n00b. It defies common sense: if you lose you don't brag about it because you don't have anything to brag about, and the person who beat you (easily) is obviously better than you.

Only simwiz would...:D

pbguy, i would advise not responding. Certain people take things way too seriously, if you respond he'll have another hissy fit.:) :)

Originally posted by Sithmaster_821

pbguy, i would advise not responding. Certain people take things way too seriously, if you respond he'll have another hissy fit.:) :)

I would seriously advise shutting up and minding your own damn business. You always have this inane fascination with starting flame wars, don't you?

i'm not too worried about "thewiz"... the only time he ever beat me in a game is when your were on his team and you f'd me up pretty good. he had nothing to do with it, but seems to feel otherwise for some reason. go figure.

and i repeat, only noobs play with explored maps. period.

Heh. Sith is sorta right. None of this is making sense, but the main point is we're not talking about the gunship anymore.

Well, unless Windu comes back and boots us all back into frantic debate.

*immediately regrets saying that, as things I say have a tendency to come true*

You are the only one who would lose a game and then bring it up on forums and then call the person who beat you a n00b.

Hang on.... wasn't there some guy in simwiz's thread about the Jedi Starfighter roaching tactic who did that? :p

hissy fit

Arg. Sith, you really do seem to enjoy loading a gun and putting it in front of two people who don't like each other. Figuratively speaking, of course... though I have no doubt you've done that in some game or another. ;)

Originally posted by pbguy1211

i'm not too worried about "thewiz"... the only time he ever beat me in a game is when your were on his team and you f'd me up pretty good. he had nothing to do with it, but seems to feel otherwise for some reason. go figure.

I f'd your ally up pretty good, despite the fact that my mom kept coming in every 5 minutes to make sure I did my homework. And why do you desperately cling to the belief that you would have done any better against a rush from me than from Sith, or that you would have done any better against my rush than your ally did? Sith and I had about the same score when the game was over, and you and your ally had similar scores.

Sith happened to be closer to you, so he removed your base. I happened to be closer to your ally, so I removed his base. Since neither one of us is better than the other, you would have lost regardless of who rushed you.

Corran, I don't dislike pbguy, but Sith has this inane fascination with starting flame wars, and he convinced pbguy to fabricate his brilliant first post (which I let go by because it was so stupid), but Sith egged it on until it reached its current state with 3 people arguing over who is a n00b and what settings are n00bish and who is better, etc.

It died four threads ago.

Simwiz, his ally was a bunch of houses and a command center. Yet it still took you forever to destroy it. Pbguy and i had a pretty massive t2, battle, followed by an equally massive t3 battle between him and his ally's remenants and me. I only won because i was able to plop a fort down on the battlefeild. Our scores were not equal, and pb's and his allies scores were not equal. On saturday, when pbguy hands you your a$$ ill be right there laughing.

Archived