Home

A Republic Gunship we can all live with!

Darth Windu

Which would you prefer for the Republic Gunship in SW:GB?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer for the Republic Gunship in SW:GB?

• Gunship as the 2nd Republic unique unit
    • Gunship as a toybox unit
    • Gunship as a cheat unit
    • I don\'t want the Gunship at all

Ok, now most of will know that i really, really, really, really, really (you get the idea) want the Republic Gunship as a second Republic Unique Unit. I think this would make the Republic most unique as a civ, and alter gameplay and lead to the development of new tactics by people playing as or against the Republic. Even though the majotiy of people surveyed about this issue want the gunship as the second UU, there has been bitter opposition by two members of this forum, although at least one (and i hope both) seem's willing to negotiate on the issue. I have therefore decided to come up with this post to see what the community would want, as per the poll. As always, discussion/debate ion this issue (and only this issue) is welcomed.

DarthmaulUK - i would like this to be the only Gunship thread by me on the board. So i ask if you could either close or delete the other's i have created about the Gunship issue.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would prefear the gunship as a cht myself.but what your saying is right the republic gunship is unique and its home place is with its civisilation and you shouldnt have to enter a cht code to get it.the gunship ifi t comes out shouldhopefully have a awesome cannon and hold over 5 troops.But if lucasarts bring out the republic troops which they have then they must bring out the republic gunship as whats the troops without there gunship.

Originally posted by Darth Windu

Ok, now most of will know that i really, really, really, really, really (you get the idea) want the Republic Gunship as a second Republic Unique Unit.[/Quote]

In other words you are obsessed.

Even though the majotiy of people surveyed about this issue want the gunship as the second UU

The key words are "of people surveyed", or those that bothered to enter the thread and vote. Think vocal minorities. I have already explained this many times, there is no need for me to explain it here. Plus, looking at this poll, you are the only one to have voted for the gunship as a UU. Seems the toybox idea (which I voted for) is the more popular one. And do you honestly think you will get a fair vote and run into much opposition anyway on your fourth thread about it? Only those who really want the gunship to be a UU will bother to vote at all, with a few exceptions.

there has been bitter opposition by two members of this forum,

Me and Sith? It's the bitter opposition of the voice of reason. The two of the many against the idea who bothered to post against it. Besides, someone has to keep your imagination in check.

although at least one (and i hope both) seem's willing to negotiate on the issue.

Sith willing to negotiate?!? ROFLMAO!! Why? He probably took the "windu=stupid" out because he didnt want you running to daddy about it like you probably did with my signature. OTOH, I am willing to negotiate on the issue and think the gunship could be a toybox unit. That is as far as I would compromise.

I have therefore decided to come up with this post to see what the community would want, as per the poll. As always, discussion/debate ion this issue (and only this issue) is welcomed.
Congratulations, your fourth gunship-related thread, plus one started by someone else that you attempted to turn into a flame war. And your second gunship poll!

DarthmaulUK - i would like this to be the only Gunship thread by me on the board. So i ask if you could either close or delete the other's i have created about the Gunship issue.

LoL, are you sure you don't just want your "pearls of stupidity" to be permanently buried?

Originally posted by simwiz2

Me and Sith? It's the bitter opposition of the voice of reason. The two of the many against the idea who bothered to post against it. Besides, someone has to keep your imagination in check.

Ummm, not to knock on you, but if you're going to argue that Windu has to limit the supporters of his idea to those that voted, then you ALSO have to follow the same limitations. Just because someone didn't bother to vote or post does not automatically put them as one of the "many against the idea."

Kryllith

Originally posted by Kryllith

Ummm, not to knock on you, but if you're going to argue that Windu has to limit the supporters of his idea to those that voted, then you ALSO have to follow the same limitations. Just because someone didn't bother to vote or post does not automatically put them as one of the "many against the idea."

Kryllith

No, I agree that just because they did not bother to vote doesn't mean that they are against the idea. They could be indifferent, or they could have not seen the thread. But most likely, if somone is for the idea and has seen the thread they will want to see the idea acted upon and will vote and/or post yes. If there was a poll and 100 people see it, and there are 20 votes yes, and 10 votes no, then it would look like the majority is for the idea when it is probably not so. Of the 70 that saw the thread and ignored it, they are likely either indifferent or against it. Those against it will think "they won't change it anyway why bother" and those indifferent simply won't care enough to vote. However, very few people who liked the idea would look at the thread for the idea and not bother voting. A more accurate poll would have to get those who are not voting to take interest and vote. If a poll started by someone from Lucasarts was called "Considering adding Gunship UU for Republic, want community opinion!" then the results would probably be different. People who hadnt bothered before would suddenly realize that the idea might actually be added, and hurriedly vote no.

Uhhh... hello people.

Sorry to disrupt your little.. fight, but I'd like to offer my opinion.

I've gone through a whole bunch of Windu's threads on this topic, and I've figured out some stuff.

This may already have been covered but i got here late...

1. It's wrong to have the "gunship" as the Republic fighter... the very name "Gunship" shows that it would be far stronger than a fighter.

2. It should be a unique unit, but maybe consider it tech 4 like the a-wing.

3. It should be able to transport a couple of units, say 5.

4. It should have dual attack- has been done before, game engine should handle it, i don't know much about programming but surely it could be done. Even if the weapon is the same, that's ok i guess.

5. It should be weaker (in HP terms) than the transport and slower than the fighter, otherwise both would be outdated.

6. Its air to air attack should be far weaker than its air to ground attack, but not sooo bad it is overlooked.

7. Its air to ground attack should be specialized vs. troopers. That's basically what it did in the movie- mowed down hordes of droids. I think.

I agree that it should be a UU- i really like it- but don't overpower it or as simwiz said, it'll screw up the entire carefully made balance.

Corran - there is no fight going on here, and i hope it stays that way. Most of your points are what i have been saying all along, the gunship is nothing like a fighter, and if it is in the game, it should be a unique unit due to it being unique (no peer).

Originally posted by simwiz2

If a poll started by someone from Lucasarts was called "Considering adding Gunship UU for Republic, want community opinion!" then the results would probably be different. People who hadnt bothered before would suddenly realize that the idea might actually be added, and hurriedly vote no.

Certainly, though it could hold true for the other end of the spectrum as well. People who don't really worry about voting might decide that if LucasArts is reading this and seriously considering making the change that they might vote for it. I think it might be an interesting unique unit, though I think that if implimentation were made that the original reb air transport might be modified a little (either in the amount of things it can carry or what it can carry). BTW, I haven't voted. ;)

Course, if it were added as a cheat unit, then I'd probably just go ahead and make it make the overboard gunship that people talked about before (carries 10 units, numerous individual-targeting lasers, etc.) We're talking about cheating here after all. :)

Kryllith

Yes, there are.

Windu, could you... um... answer my earlier question please? That was only a couple of posts back... i can't believe it was completely over looked... anyway, i'm wondering:

is there anything you are going to do about this? Contact Lucas Arts, or something? Or is it just a nice idea?

And... would it help if i rated this thread? 5 stars? maybe then people would come. ;)

Mhmm.... problem is, we don't really represent what 'the community' wants. Sure, of the... 7 people who have voted, the majority want it as a UU (that would be you, me and somebody else) but we don't represent the majority of all GB CC players, let alone all people on this forum.

We need more publicity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(how do we do that?)

I think the gunship is fine the way it is, if u want to complain about stuff in the game not being like the movies then you should also mention that snowspeeders don't use toecables, mechs shoot the wrong colored lasers and the rebel workers look like r2-d2 when they are supposed to be r2-d5 or something like that. Even if they did make the gunship as the 2nd UU, what would you have as the fighter for the Republic? The way Lucasarts has done it seems like the best way to me.

Hmmm... 42.857% want the gunship as a UU... Windu and 2 other people :ppopular movement? :rolleyes:

42% and I don't even think sith has even voted yet... I think he would have at least posted something. Now that I think of it he hasn't posted anything lately... maybe his internet managed to go down again.

Many people seem quite contented with the game as it is, and think the Gunship would provide a sufficient realism quality if it was added as a toybox or cheat unit. Exactly what Sith has been saying from the start.

Also the Gunship's representation as a fighter is quite realistic. Fighters provide air and ground cover fire for their troops. With the exception of carrying the troops, Gunships were doing just that, giving cover fire for the troops. Gunship seems too strong to be reduced to a feeble fighter? Think of it as losing its gains in strength and firepower as reduced maneouverability and being a bigger target.

And the icing on the cake of making the Gunship a toybox unit is that they can make a REAL Gunship, not some crap unit that no one will ever use and is a mere shadow of the real Gunship. As a UU the Gunship will be cut to bits for balance, and have the bits jammed in as a pointless unit; as a toybox unit realisitic but overpowered ideas could be used. If anyone wants realism, the toybox/cheat version of the Gunship will be much more realistic than any UU incarnation.

Of course, instead of making it a unique unit, we could simply give the current fighter the ability to carry troops (kinda a perk to their civ, like the ATAT's ability to fire at air) and then downgrade the rep's transport. Granted this is primarily just a restating of what I said before, the difference being that I always considered making the gunship a seperate unit from fighters.

Hmmmm. Simwiz has a point- as a toybox unit, the Gunship could be anything we liked without disrupting game balance.

But an in-game version would be more fun- after all, Windu, two other people, and I want to use the gunship in a normal RM or DM, and in the campaigns. I think it would improve the game experience all-round.

Maybe you could have 2 versions, one in-game that wasn't so powerful, and one toybox that is everything it was in the movie.

simwiz - its still a majority.

nathan - think about this. Would you have said that the snowspeeder should be a rebel unique unit if it was the rebel fighter?

A new idea: having a discussion with another member on another thread, a member came u with a good idea. Given the Republic the gunship as a second UU, but change their transport to the gunship transport that drops off an AT-TE in ep2, and make it so it can only carry 2 or 3 units, instead of the normal 5. This would make the gunship balanced by giving them a powerful ground attack with troop transport ability, but decrease their mech/heavy transport ability. This would also enhance the republics area of speciality, troopers.

Hey, I remember someone saying that. But we've already discussed the 2-3 units idea here.

Wouldn't it be weird if the UU and the transport looked practically the same, though?

And the Gunship UU supporters now total 5. Yay! :D

Nathan- we're only discussing one thing here. You're the one who brought up those picky little things.

Originally posted by Darth Windu

simwiz - its still a majority.

I am assuming (and hoping) that you say this because the poll changed at one point and then changed again (right now you are in the minority). If you said you have the majority because the UU choice had (at the time) more votes than all the other options combined, then ignore the rest of my post. If not, then:

You do realize that just because the UU option has the longest bar of the 4 options does not make it the majority. ALL of the other options, cheat unit, toybox unit, no unit, are against having it as the UU. Just because the opposition is split among 3 options and therefore the UU has the most votes out of one option does not mean the UU has the majority. If we are looking at it as UU vs not UU then I think it is safe to say that all three other options are NO's. So it is 5/11, or 45%, for the Gunship UU. Hopefully you realized this and were claiming the majority because you truly had it at the time. If you were then ignore this paragraph of my post.

simwiz - i said that there was (and still is) a majority who have voted for the gunship as the second UU, not an absolute majority, there is a difference. Also, i said before, keep it related to the subject, and dont attack other members in this forum.

Archived