Home

wheres the intimidation factor

leelink

i wonder how hard it would be to create a second 'attack' mode where you don't actually attack, but it puts you into a defensive stance that can force the trigger of these ripostes.

meaning, instead of these counter attacks being done by the game, it becomes something the player actually has to trigger.

time to go play with the source code I guess. :p

Originally posted by Myst

If you can easily counter back from a defensive position no one will bother to attack anymore since you will be at a disadvantage. Leave it as is. Parries and blocks should be doable and the swings are fine the way they are.

Already you can actually do 3-4 hit combos on red by being constant close saber combat. That's the sorta thing you're thinking of, quick counter attack to a defensive parry/block. And it's there, just that you don't see it much 'cause most people liketo deal one swing then back up.

Myst

I'm guessing you haven't played many 1 on 1 fighting games. I have played them all, and I can tell you the good ones are based on a formula that uses offensive counters. If its not, then its unbalanced. just like JK2 has been since it came out. People are still figuring out how to play 1.04, but it wont be long before they figure out to use lightning, Drain, and Grip. As I explained there are no consequences to using Lightning or Grip in a Duel match and with one point in seeing, you will eliminate any offensive powers a light side jedi would be able to use.

People didnt wait to attack in Street Fighter, MK, Virtua Fighter, Tekken, or Ultimate Fighting Championship, but they were all based on Defensive to offensive counter moves.

Also Countering would be based on your skill to "anticipate" your opponent. Its not always easy to anticipate your opponent and if it is, then you should be able to counter thier moves. no one stands around waiting for the other person to move, because you have to "anticipate" the move to counter it. If the move is so slow that it broadcast to everyone what your doing, then the move needs to be fixed in the game so that its faster.

leelink have you tried playing around with the g_saberdamagescale?

nightfall and I were on the full force server...i turned it up to 4...one hit with medium stance would take you down to around 4 or 5 hit points left

it was actually quite cool

i'm wondering what it would be like on 2 or 3, might be good for stopping these people that run to heal

and since you are playing on our servers you could do what i do;)

bind it to a key to say It Might Help If You Faught

as the server

this generally freaks people out when the server is telling them to go fight...so most do

if they don't give them a couple chances, say it a couple more times

then tell them they will be kicked if they don't stop running

most people will stop now..but if they don't...you wouldn't want to back out on your threat...would you?:)

1.04 is great as far as i can tell , but i only usually place SO NF servers. I liked that the assfighters have to come up with a new strategy...was really tired of watching people run backwards :p

My fighting style has stayed the same, then again, i usually play Vulcanus Admin Mod....

Just my 2 cents...

I'm guessing you haven't played many 1 on 1 fighting games. I have played them all, and I can tell you the good ones are based on a formula that uses offensive counters. If its not, then its unbalanced. just like JK2 has been since it came out. People are still figuring out how to play 1.04, but it wont be long before they figure out to use lightning, Drain, and Grip. As I explained there are no consequences to using Lightning or Grip in a Duel match and with one point in seeing, you will eliminate any offensive powers a light side jedi would be able to use.

-Please do not make accusations which you have no knowledge about. I have played many fighting games since SFII all the way through Mk and Marvel vs Capcom.

Secondly, there is a consequence for lightning/drain/grip. It's called absorb, and it stops every single dark side power with the exception of dark rage.

While Mind trick can be beaten by one level of seeing, what you fail to see is that it takes more energy to activate and use force seeing that doing mind trick. By constantly turning mind trick off and back on, the seeing player spends more force power, as well as split seconds of not being able to see the invisible player.

This applies even if they keep force seeing on.

People didnt wait to attack in Street Fighter, MK, Virtua Fighter, Tekken, or Ultimate Fighting Championship, but they were all based on Defensive to offensive counter moves.

-Totally wrong. Masters knew that offense was always the best. And the best offense was to threaten the opponent until the other player made a mistake, in which case a hefty combo or supermove would be best dealt. Secondly, this has no relevance on the topic.

-We were discussing moves on how the riposte moves could actually be done. Thereby promoting ur favored" defensive to offensive counter moves". I have no clue, what these statements are for.

Also Countering would be based on your skill to "anticipate" your opponent. Its not always easy to anticipate your opponent and if it is, then you should be able to counter thier moves. no one stands around waiting for the other person to move, because you have to "anticipate" the move to counter it. If the move is so slow that it broadcast to everyone what your doing, then the move needs to be fixed in the game so that its faster.

-Which move is so slow? The counter moves are automatically dealt when holding the attack button and in constantly close quarters battle. I really don't see what ur point is. The fact that one man tested it by holding down the button and standing still does not mean that it is slow. I do these counter moves all the time when someone decides to bring the fight close and leaves it there. And the opponent does that to me too.

Myst

Easy shoot em in the back when there healing.

I'm guessing your use the light side so just absorb the

grip and lightning whores.

I general though there more balance.

You are not fighting stromtroppers from the single player game

so wanting to "control" your opponant is unrealistic.

A good Jedi can adapt and you will too

sorry about the spelling:(

absorb is not a consequence. it's merely blocking a force power. It will in no way help you defeat your opponent.

Defensive to offensive moves have everything to do the the games I mentioned and explain why JK2 will never be balanced as long as it doesnt follow offensive counter moves. I dont have to tell you. give it one month and drain, grip, lightning whores will rule the game. If you though backstabing was ghey, wait till people run all over the map just to heal themselves using drain or heal. while the gameplay is great now for NF matches, it sucks balls for full force matches in its default state.

every single attack move in Mortal Kombat 3 had a offensive counter. this is not so with JK2. blocking is automatic and not controlable. this causes problems, because even if i know what force power the person is going to do, I cannot block and then offensively counter the move, like I could in any of the fighting games above. Yes saber combat for the most part is almost there, but force powers are lacking this balance. people can even go back to DFA spamming too, because there is no move that will kill them, they can heal off the hit that you give them and try another chance at DFA. like I said, I predict one month before we see DFA spamming darkies that use lightning, drain, and grip.

also absorb is crap. you can hear someone turn it on. so its not much of a counter.

Absorb is not crap. While you expend your powers on drain or lightning, my absorb easily stops it or at least uses up your force. I will have mind trick with at least 75% of my force compared to a maximum of your 50% force pool.

This gives me an advantage using saber throw or pull + kick. Both offensive counters to any persons who decide to use up their pool on drain and lightning.

I can even leave absorb on 20 seconds and still have enough for saber throws or pull kicks.

The real reason for such imbalances is not force powers.

While people may drain and lightning, light side can heal and run as well. You are mistaking overpowered dark side force powers with underpowered saber swings. Lowering lightning and drain powers would make dark side just as useless as in 1.03. Grip is of little consequence except in narshadaa streets or other maps like those. Even dark side, when drained still has enough force to push a gripper and thus cancel out its effects. A grip takes about 2.5 bars, about 3 by the time the one who is gripped finally pushes him off, expending pretty much the same amount as a push, perhaps more force-for what? 1-4 dmg in health, wow, big imbalance there.

I've done many DFAs in 1.04 where the opponent just waits till I almost landed, then runs at me and does an overhead swing, thereby losing 50+ damage.

As a good rule of thumb, an overhead swing now does double damage what a side swing normally does, and thus the dfa, and yellow flip and hack move can be easily countered now by simply hitting from a good angle (which has a wide room for error).

There are plenty of defensive to offensive counters and although light does not have much for offensive force powers, it has great defensive powers to counter with such as heal and run, mind trick + strike and the all encompassing absorb + push kick or saber throw.

The dark side in turn has many offensive force powers, but quickly loses out in force, especially when draining, thus he will be vulnerable to subsequent push/pull or throw force attacks.

Yes saber combat for the most part is almost there, but force powers are lacking this balance. people can even go back to DFA spamming too, because there is no move that will kill them, they can heal off the hit that you give them and try another chance at DFA. like I said, I predict one month before we see DFA spamming darkies that use lightning, drain, and grip.

what's to stop someone from doing absorb + heal + DFA spam? According to your theory, DFA will be the all powerful move and little to stop it. With absorb on for most of the fight a lighting/grip/drain DFA spammer will easily lose to a lightside DFA spammer then. Since dark could do nothing while light continues to heal and absorb.

PS. Absorb does not suck. You can hear it, but what are you gonna do about it? It lasts so long and stops the dark offensive powers. What kind of balance are you looking for?

Light is defensive, dark is offensive. Mind trick is a useful light offensive weapon, drain is a useful dark defensive weapon.

The force powers from v1.02 are almost the same except that Heal is worse, drain is a little worse, lightning is a lot better, absorb is a lot better. The only thing lacking is stronger saber swings. This will put to an end all these "imbalances" of force powers.

Myst

Archived