Home

1.04 Brings back skill

{XG} Snape

Sup..

I can't believe but after months of negitive post on 1.03 patch someone has done it almost right with this new patch.

Backstab spamming worthless now... Big Plus........

Pull and push Nerfed.... Plus again.

Absorb.. Well personally I feel it last to long and drain should be pumped back up some. But with the side kick and foward kick skilled players can beet Absorbers anyways.

Looks like there's going to be some whinning on this patch because of no one hit easy kill spamming moves.

:rolleyes:

Thanks Raven.. OMG.. I said Thanks...:drop2:

I'm Hosting a Touney for JK2 this Saturday. Was going to cancel it because of the 1.03 patch. Now with the new 1.04 patch it's back on.

For the Whinners out there better get some skill or Cry Hard till Raven just has you loosers type Kill and the persons name for quick kills that you so much long for you cheap shot artist.

:newbie:

Practice Practice and Practice some more, the one hit wonder move's are GONE.

Lovin it once again.

Snape

:cheers:

Just to clarify this is a repost....

I'm about to file JK2 into my "what not to do when you patch a game file" and move on to the next one. I haven't played much at all since I have been gone for a month military. Just checked out my first CTF game in about a month.

The gameplay is just not fun anymore. Sabres and force powers have been nerfed down so badly you are forced to use guns to compete. Also pull changes means you have no options to try and stop a capper by knocking them down.

As I was playing I was trying to think about what made this game fun for me in multiplayer originally. It was the fact that I actually felt like a Jedi, I was dangerous from the moment I spawned with the potential to kill anyone I came across.

Playing tonight I just felt very under powered. My heal didn't heal me, my pull powers were impotent, my sabre is now a weapon of last resort. I found myself playing in 1st person a majority of the time because I needed to use guns to be competitive vs always staying in the 3rd person back in the day.

When this game was originally released the player base was HUGE. There were so many teams and players and after each patch more and more people have left and they are never coming back. You can argue the specifics all day long of why you like this patch or that patch but the fact remains those players aren't here anymore. The game just isn't fun any longer for me personally. It was a nice ride anyhow.

You can call me a whiner or unskilled or argue with me about why this is good or that is bad. It doesn't matter because quite simply I don't find the game fun anymore. I mean to the point of not wanting to play it regardless of the changes. If I feel like that and I have been playing games online competitively online since 1996 I imagine I am not the only one. Anyway I hope you guys enjoy it. However there are alot of people out here that are not fans of Raven and just thought this would be the perfect thread to share it. Anyway cya next time.

You start with Speed, power, and low defense. (1.02)

This made every duel nerve racking because even the smallest mistake meant death. Some how these people have convinced us that an enviroment where you had to make NO mistakes to win was an unskilled enviroment? That my friends is what whiners do, if you kill them it must be the games fault.

We have removed the speed, lowered the power, and raised the defense thru the roof.

Players found that pull kick back-stab was the best way to win. Why? because since the power of everything had gone down while defense had gone way up, this was the ONLY intelligent choice.

Once again we were told by the whiners that "defense that is passive (i.e. requiring no skill to use) and a weak saber" lead to more skill. How is this? How is it that we go from having to watch every step, to being able to block 80% of swings by no action of your own, and we call it skill?

People we have been fooled by these whiners that COULD NOT WIN in 1.02. COULD NOT WIN in 1.03. and the only way they can win is if sabers can only swing, and then most swings are blocked. This is not skill, it is an enviroment that allows you to make mistakes and still have a good chance of winning.

Oh yeah and they are not finished, soon they will want kicks nerfed and blue lunge nerfed. Why? because anything that can be timed and used by a skilled player, kills these whiners everytime, because they can't win if the computer doesn't block it for them. They will only be happy when skill and timing is completely removed from the equation and this game is nothing more then a button mashing contest.

Originally posted by {XG} Snape

Looks like there's going to be some whinning on this patch because of no one hit easy kill spamming moves.

Actually the whiners are what brought you this patch. Those of us that didn't whine will now have to suffer.

I'm Hosting a Touney for JK2 this Saturday. Was going to cancel it because of the 1.03 patch.

Yeah good thing for you. Would suck to lose in your own tourny quickly, now at least you will live long even if you do suck.

For the Whinners out there better get some skill or Cry Hard till Raven just has you loosers type Kill and the persons name for quick kills that you so much long for you cheap shot artist.

Why do you call people that are unhappy with this new patch whiners? Its the whiners that had Raven make this patch, AND the 1.03 patch for that matter.

How is it you consider skill - the art of pursuading a company to remove a tactic you cant counter. LOL what a joke!

By the way landing a one hit kill is not a cheap shot. Landing a kill on someone who is AFK is a cheap shot, defeating a player because he can't counter your moves is only considered cheap by whiners such as yourself.

Practice Practice and Practice some more, the one hit wonder move's are GONE.

Practice what? Moving back and forth and swinging? Most of us learned that in 1.02. The only difference know is that this is our ONLY option.

lol It is so funny to me that you people who couldn't hold a candle to other players before are now coming out and basicaly admiting that you couldn't handle the game as it was and praising Raven for making the game EASIER for YOU. HAHAHAHA pathetic

Enjoy your stupid patch its only a matter of time until everyone is better than you again. Once a loser always a loser, no matter how many moves you get Raven to take out for you.

well

No more going into a mulit player server where everyone is trying the backstab or pull backstab combo. Players just Grouping togethere all running backwards trying to pull off the the backstab move. Is this what being a Jedi is about?

1.02 patch was the best and will always be the best .. I held on to this patch till the only servers left where so high pinged which made the game unplayable. After Playing with the 1.03a patch for a week I totally lost all intest in the game.

With this patch atleast you can Saber Battle without having 5 people running backwards spamming backstab.

Yes it take's longer to kill if you have not worked on Combo move's with good Hit points.

It's not just a Noob Game anymore atleast Raven has made it somewhat skillful. Now atleast a new player will try some saber attacks instead of just running backwards in hope's to pulll off the backstabb.

Have fun and remember it's atleast better then 1.03a patch.

Snape

well

No more going into a mulit player server where everyone is trying the backstab or pull backstab combo. Players just Grouping togethere all running backwards trying to pull off the the backstab move. Is this what being a Jedi is about?

1.02 patch was the best and will always be the best .. I held on to this patch till the only servers left where so high pinged which made the game unplayable. After Playing with the 1.03a patch for a week I totally lost all intest in the game.

With this patch atleast you can Saber Battle without having 5 people running backwards spamming backstab.

Yes it take's longer to kill if you have not worked on Combo move's with good Hit points.

It's not just a Noob Game anymore atleast Raven has made it somewhat skillful. Now atleast a new player will try some saber attacks instead of just running backwards in hope's to pulll off the backstabb.

Have fun and remember it's atleast better then 1.03a patch.

Snape

WOW dind't expect such a well put response. Thanks for showing intelligence and explaining your side of things, instead of accusing me of something stupid.

I agree that 1.02 is the best, and I also see why you like 1.04.

Good luck in your tourny!

(see I am not such a bad guy after all :p)

I used to LOVE watching the nOObs run around backwards. It was not only extremely FUNNY but a source of seemingly unending kills!! :D I just stood back & would throw my saber at them & get the kill. :) I figure if you are running around backwards trying to stab anything that comes into your path, than you deserve to DIE!

Cheep? NO....

There are NO cheep moves in JK2. Only DIFFERENT moves. ;)

Oh & BTW,

1.04 is.... Not what I expected. Ak: IT SUCKS!! :mad:

How can you possibly defend the use of exploits and cheats! The damage that certain strikes caused in previous versions were completely unreasonable.

Something curious that I've seen mentioned a few times is that blue stance is now worthless. That is completely untrue. I've been able to do quite well in 1.04 arenas while remaining in blue stance the entire time!

If your only source of enjoyment is domination through exploits and cheats and then arrogantly proclaim supreme skill, then you need to find another game to play.

Don't like the game anymore? THEN STOP PLAYING! Leave the game to people who enjoy the graceful art of swordplay. There's more to it than special moves. Did you know that you can use your mouse to control the speed and direction of your saber swings? There are always possibilities.

So go ahead and invent a new method of exploiting the game. They will be eliminated in version 1.05 and beyond.

Originally posted by Flamegrape

How can you possibly defend the use of exploits and cheats! The damage that certain strikes caused in previous versions were completely unreasonable.

Something curious that I've seen mentioned a few times is that blue stance is now worthless. That is completely untrue. I've been able to do quite well in 1.04 arenas while remaining in blue stance the entire time!

If your only source of enjoyment is domination through exploits and cheats and then arrogantly proclaim supreme skill, then you need to find another game to play.

Don't like the game anymore? THEN STOP PLAYING! Leave the game to people who enjoy the graceful art of swordplay. There's more to it than special moves. Did you know that you can use your mouse to control the speed and direction of your saber swings? There are always possibilities.

So go ahead and invent a new method of exploiting the game. They will be eliminated in version 1.05 and beyond.

I don't like 1.04 and I don't care what people like you say, I will continue to request Raven do things my way.

You like slow games with little options for attack, I don't.

You like easy blocking, I don't.

You like an easier game, I don't.

You want everyone to do things your way, I won't!

You like longer duels due to super blocking, I think longer duels should come from evenly matched players.

You are the whiner! You are one of the people who got Raven to CHANGE the game. I like it as it was, where you payed for your mistakes with death, you wanted a game that allows you to mess up and still prance around.

So either post some sort of valid argument defending the horrible pathes or go and play you game. Either way leave your mindless comments in you head so the est of us can avoid wasting our time reading you stupid flames.

I would like to add something that most people seem unable to comprehend.

There WERE long saber duels in 1.02. I can remember playing very good players and the duels lasting for minutes. We were both very cautious and were hesitant to attack headlong since the other player could kill quickly and efficiently. However, when faced with a less skilled opponent it was possible to take him down in a matter of seconds.

So to review, the length of the duel was based on the relative skill of the two players, not on forced game mechanics i.e. hyper-blocking, weak sabers. I think the 1.02 way made more sense, 1.03+ is simply an artifical way to infuse "drama" into the game.

Originally posted by FatalStrike

You start with Speed, power, and low defense. (1.02)

You speak out of my soul!!! I am 100% with all you said. I dont care about beeing killed (inside the game). I want a speedy game that absorbes my mind totally. I hate all this whining of ppl that can't stand loosing.

All this castration of offensives, shortening of the saber (lowering tip damage to almost zero). Reduction of damage in the beginning and the end of the swing. Increasing of defense. That all takes the pace out of the game. If you look into FFA, they usally just hang around chatting or duelling. The most popular spam move (besides dfa) is now Boring Opponent to Death (BOD).

I just played the 1.04 patch and i felt that things haven't changed much at all since v 1.03. sabercombat is still the same only bs is a worthless move only fools use. I played a ffa full gunz game and still dominated the game but i felt like the saber was useless now sure i could still chop down a sniper or a gunner who stood still but if the dude was running around you never stood a chance because pull don't throw people to the ground no more. I'm never afraid of someone running towards me with a saber which i was in 1.02 or 1.03. I hear there are severs with saberdamage crancked up but i almost always get a bad ping on those since barrysworld, gamesdomain and blueyonder are the only decent working servers i have to play it with the original config for clanwars also. this patch shows off how incompitent raven really is the lethal combat has turned into boring combat. I wanted to say 1.05 wouldnt come out because they would nerf even more but 1.04 is already boring so i dont care anymore.

Yeah I remember 1.02, geez Fatal is right, every duel I was friggin scared, cause one heavy shot, I'm dead! In 1.03 and 1.04, I was not nearly as frightened because I know it'll block. Although 1.02 has all the skill, speed and power, 1.04 has a different type of skill: Getting past the uber blocks.

and i do sword fighting in real life

[offtopic]

I find it rather amusing that everyone online is a master at 17 forms of martial arts, fights with swords/staffs/bananas, and can bench a hippo.

Could they be lying....? NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

[/offtopic]

I like 1.04. I didnt play 1.02 much, as 1.03 arrived about 4 days after I got the game. What I remember of 1.02 consists of getting killed by sabres buried 8 inches in the ground, and people gripping me and running me off ledges left and right.

Then 1.03 arrived, and I got to laugh at people who buried their sabres repeatedly. I also got to laugh at people who would grip me, then crawl towards the nearest ledge. Plenty of time for absorb. I also learned how to kickflip people in the butt as they ran at me. That was fun stuff. I never really placed terribly high on the scoreboard, but I never gave a damn either.

Now, with 1.04, none of that is there. The grip fiends have learned their lessons, assfighters are laughed out of servers, and all feels good and happy. Including me.

Oh, I really dont win any more than I used to. Maybe a tiny bit, but not really. But like I said, that never mattered to me. The bottomline is that I enjoy the game now. There's no retarded tactics being used (assfighting, bugged-DFA spam, etc), or, at least, very few. Light lunges are easily avoided, usually.

The game is fun for me. Does that make me a stupid n00b? (i hate that word) No. It means my tastes of fun are different than yours. I stopped playing during 1.03. 1.04 has brought me back.

ShockV1.89

Well since I've been around like the majority of you people, since 1.2. I'd just like to offer up my sums on this, popular opinion and my own.

What it did right - Sabers were a very dangerous weapon even without special moves. One well placed red shot would kill an enemy out right. Required skill to use, once mastered, the Lightsaber as intended was a Jedi's weapon. Defense was there, but breakable in all stances sip for the light attacks in blue stance. This made attacking much more realistic, not like having rock solid 360 degree defense box. Medium stance was more chainable and useful, since parries weren't in 1.2 medium stance could get through a red attacker, if the player knew how.

What it did wrong - DFA was bugged and abusable. Being a one time hit everytime killer, it was hugely abused by lesser skilled players, they'd just DFA spinning around in the air all day praying for a hit. The damage box for DFA was so screwed up everyone hated anyone that did DFA, cuz of the "lame kills". Although skilled players could dodge it 95% of the time, it was still obviously a cheap move. Drain was overally powerful also during 1.2 days, people would always be Dark side, because of the fact that Drain took so much health but not much force power. Light side even with absorb was useless. Another thing done wrong is the abuse to blue stance. Only move that was useful was lunge, although some skilled players could be good with blue, but since red was so strong, and hard to avoid in the right hands, there was no real point to use it. Absorb the Light power was visible, making nobody attack the light player because they were glowing blue, made it easy to find someone using absorb, which pretty much negated the purpose of surpise.

My opinion - My opinion on this patch is even with all it's flaws, it was like many said before me, the best patch. Why? Because of how the saber was DEADLY and how it worked well in all gameplay types, CTF was at a good pace, duels could last long, FFA could go either way. Every gameplay type (particularally CTF) were the most fun. I believe by simply giving blue stance a little boost in damage, or counter ability, the sabers would be fine. Another thing that should have been done is fixing DFA obviouslly by making the box of damage like it is currently, and how you can't move while doing it. Fixing absorb like they did in 1.3 would also work. Other than that, I believe if all those changes would have been made, nothing else would have been needed. Maybe fixing it where the tip of the saber did less damage like it does now, but that's debatable still. I believe if it would have stayed like this, JK2 would have been pretty perfect.. and fun.

What it did right - Nerfed Drain and DFA. The main problems with 1.2. Brought "balance" to the force by making absorb invisible until force attacked and making Drain take more force power. This made Light useful to use, making the force powers balanced in normal saber fighting (now as for backstab wars, I'll get to that). Reduced tip saber damage so that anyone that got hit with the very tip of the saber didn't take full saber damage. Added new maps. Made grip so you walk instead of run. (this is kind of neutral, I never had a problem with running grip although some people used it to run, jump, swing people around then throw em off, so it's up to the person) Reduced frontal damage (although minimal, it was a good start) from 20 front to 18.

What it did wrong - Added parries and gave defense a HUGE bonus so that most normal light to medium attacks were blocked 98% of the time. Also, this made light even more useless as any swing higher than it hitting the attack would parry it most of the time. Increased the damage of backsweep and backstab. This made the game into an ass running game of cat and mouse. Where whoever turned around first would get the kill. Obviously this wasn't how the game was invisioned. In turn in force matches this unbalanced the force for most people, making Light more powerful in backstab wars than Dark (in most cases, I saw a select few of good dark players back in the day, but most of the people in 1.3 were light). Reduced overall saber damage, this in combination with blocking, parries and such, made normal saber fights last forever and most people could be "n00bed" by a continous over the head blue stance attack continously hitting someone down until they die (more on this in 1.4). Nerfed kicked so that you have to double tap to kick. Now some might say this was good, it's not, in 1.2 you couldn't kick in mid-air, this made kick much more easier to avoid. Now that you can double tap you have kicks that are harder to avoid. Allowed throw to be usable in NF Duels.

My opinion - I personally didn't like 1.3. Although I found it fun sometimes, but mostly it was a game of tactics and whoever did what first. It took much less skill than 1.2 did. But it did make CTF still fast and challenging, people that used guns feared a good pull/backstabber, which brought balance to guns CTF and such. I found this patch so so. It had it's good and bad points, but I'm glad it's day is over.

What it did right - Nerfed the hell out of backstab and backsweep. Basically made the damage back to how it was in 1.2, only now you can't pivot while doing it. This brought "balance" to the overall picture of force powers, but made dark have a slight edge since Dark players tend to abuse Drain still, making Light players lose force power indefinately. Made saber fights more for the skilled (for the most part), but only duels more fun.. I'll get to this more in the bad.

What it did wrong - Forgot the overall picture, duelers have fun in no force, but everyone else pretty much gave up. Sure no force duels are skillful for the willing, but still can be abused, and the other gametypes were left to suffer. I've seen some of the best players cut down by the n00b attack in nf duels, where a player just continouslly holds down attack and runs at the person. This will cut through their forces and make any counter near impossible if done right, because of the fact they'll be getting hit while swinging. This is bad. Although very few people do it since it's not fun, when someone does use it, it gets old fast. Saber damage is still the same as in 1.3 which makes for obvious draw out fights that in some cases never end, since both parties give up on CTF and do something else.. like kick fight or throw someone off. In FFA, CTF, Team FFA, and basically every other type sip for Duel, I've seen people use every attack OTHER than using a Lightsaber. Kicks are the force power of choice, since they offer 18-20 of unblockable damage, where as Lightsabers offer about the same unless it's a direct hit, where it's EASY to block. Guns are the weapon of choice in CTF since they actually kill people unlike the Lightsaber nowadays. Also the fact that Lightsabers do little damage make force duel servers a rarity, since people in those servers just heal faster than they take saber damage. That way they just resort to kicking, lightning, gripping, throwing. Which is not fun.. so therefore lack of force duel servers.

My opinion - 1.4 is my idea of the 1.2 fix gone terribly wrong. Raven thought a quick solution to a long drawn out problem would fix it, they were wrong. NF duel in most regards do take far more skill to master than DFAing in 1.2, backstabbing in 1.3. But since all gameplay types aren't duel. That means the rest of the gametypes are made to suffer an ill fate. Like most people, I agree Lightsabers should be the top weapon of choice for most players on force servers no matter what game. Because a Jedi who can take out a room full of Stormtroopers should be deadly. Not like how it is now. One merc owning a room full of Jedi :b I believe this patch made duel the only good place to use Lightsabers. But on the good side, the patches sparked many player made mods that have changed the face of the game. Hopefully this will continue and we will re-live the glory days, through mods.

The solution - After seeing what everyone wants, there's a simple solution to fix JK2 MP. That is, make Sabers do twice as much damage as they do now. Balance out the heavier attacks so they can't be abused. Making it so finishing moves actually finish the opponent (not 1 kill moves, but moves that do good damage, but aren't whorable). Make it where absorb will absorb Drain, making it where Drain isn't the most powerful force power. Make kick do less damage, perhaps max of 10. Elimate throw from NF duel. Reduce blocking, make it where you can't block anything not infront of you. Do away with parries.

All that should change the face of the game. Making CTF more fun, faster. Still having duel intense.. infact more intense since every shot would count heavily. Force powers would be balanced for once, making it easier to play your preference, instead of "what's better".

Anyway, those are my observations and suggestions.

The gameplay is just not fun anymore. Sabres and force powers have been nerfed down so badly you are forced to use guns to compete. Also pull changes means you have no options to try and stop a capper by knocking them down.

As I was playing I was trying to think about what made this game fun for me in multiplayer originally. It was the fact that I actually felt like a Jedi, I was dangerous from the moment I spawned with the potential to kill anyone I came across.

Playing tonight I just felt very under powered. My heal didn't heal me, my pull powers were impotent, my sabre is now a weapon of last resort. I found myself playing in 1st person a majority of the time because I needed to use guns to be competitive vs always staying in the 3rd person back in the day.

i totally agree.. after patching today.. i logged on most servers were empty . so i log on.. and its not even worth playing.. someone said it brough back skill? omg all i have to do is stand there, facing my enemy and an opponents saber is virtually worthess.

anyone is just as skillful as anyone else because there is nothing more than pressing the button and flailing the saber around. the game used to be fun.. you used to feel like a powerful jedi. now the multiplayer game blows.

:deathii:

excellent, excellent, excellent points. What I wonder is why there were not so many of you when all the 1.02 complainers were out there asking for change. Shock, you were not here during the 1.02 days, and really didn't give it a chance to grow on you. once you learn to get good at it, it is by far the best patch. The people who did not enjoy 1.02, are those who played once, did not give it a chance, and told Raven to change it instead of learning the details of saber combat.

If we had this many people defending 1.02 back in the day of 1.02-1.03, we would never have gotten the **** that was 1.03, and the semi-**** that is 1.04

I can't believe that people defend 1.03.

At least now with 1.04 the game is playable. The mods are great (haven't tried Artifex's yet though) and 1.04 is pretty good with less blocking and upped saber damage.

What I'm trying to say is: 1.03 was disqusting. One ridiculous butt-attack ruling supreme...that's just...sad...and gay. People running around backwards, spinning like crazy (yawspeed) every time an opponent comes near....not very "Star Wars like" was it?

1.04 got rid of assfighting. For that I'm grateful. Yay 1.04!

I'm looking forward to Artifex's mod. No more UberBlockage amongst other things :)

ArtifeX's mod is doing great, and is gaining much acclaim. There is still saber blocking ( to take away the newbie hack/slash effect) but defences can be broken through an ingenious crosshair aiming mechanism. This is one mod yo udont' want to miss. It's made by a competitor, for athe competitors out there.

I've already downloaded the mod...but if I install it, I can't play on regular 1.04 servers anymore, right?

Right? Wrong?

I doubt there are any servers running ProMod around here (Europe) yet and I don't like the idea of playing with a 400-ish ping. :( It might cripple my amazing skillz. :rolleyes:

Archived