Home

Specs of your machine.....

SunBurN

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cisco Networking Academy in High School for 2 years, MCSE classes in College.. and soon to be taking SQL Server classes (even though I've already taught myself most of it as well as mySQL and MS SQL 7.0/2000). Also a little Unix/Linux, BSD, Mac, etc. etc. etc.

idontlikegeorge: nice little machines you got there.

Originally posted by SunBurN

Upgrade the RAM brutha, it's super cheap right now!! :) With Dell machines, will any generic ram work or do you have to buy proprietary Ram from Dell? Just curious....

I'm pretty sure I can get any brand of RAM so long as it's the right type.

Just to throw my lot in:

-800 Athlon Slot A

-Asus K7V

-512 MB RAM

-Asus 6800 Geforce DDR

-Windows 2000 Professional

-GTK 1.2.10

Now here is what's waiting for some additional parts right in front of me:

-Pentium 1,8A GHz, clocked at 2,4 GHz

-512 MB DDR Corsair PC3200 XMS

-2 Seagate Barracudas 80 GB

Hopefully this explains my bad mood in the past few days- it's just so depressing to see these things right in front of your face :mad:

Originally posted by Manquesa

I'm pretty sure I can get any brand of RAM so long as it's the right type.

you can use any brand of Ram you want, so long as it is the right type. Oh and generic house brand RAM blows. Hook up with something like Kingston or Crucial and you got a good ram manufacturer. Sounds to me like you have a Rambus RDRAM box, so um... good luck with that, rambus is still expensive #### and it does have to be installed in pairs so if you wanted to put 512 mb in it, you'd have to buy two 256 mb sticks. :mad:

DDR is the way of the future. Rambus is dead, specially w/o Intel's "official" support anymore.

Actually, at the time I got this, I needed network load balancing and wanted to have Microsoft clustering services installed for multi-server apps... Does Pro support that? I didn't really check into it much, i just assumed it didn't.

Not that I really need those things now, but reformatting and reinstalling at this point really isn't worth the effort until I change out the mobo and proc.

and even if you wanted to use it for a website, Professional has IIS and while you can only have one website in it, it still has all the features of the Server IIS.

EDIT: Incidentally, I would get Samsung RAM if you're getting DDR.

Samsung isn't bad RAM, it's better manufactured than some other RAM manufacturers. But definitely: Kingston and Crucial make the best. Although Crucial needs to do more research when it comes to certain Dell models of laptops. Crucial lists a couple Dell Latitude series laptops as having two modules for RAM when they actually have 1. :p

edit: Although Crucial is officially getting into the video card market and will be making cards based on both Nvidia and ATI chipsets so I can't wait for some kickass Crucial vid cards to be comin out. :D :D

So, from what I've seen so far, most ppl here have decent to fast machines. If you have a slower machine, don't be shy, put up the specs! From what I find out here, in the future when I make a map, I may make two versions, one for slower machines, and one a bit more detailed and larger for faster machines.

SunBurN

I never quite understood how you could make a PC "just for games." You could use your computer for office functions, right? All a "gaming PC" really means is that you have a decent video card, and hell, you can add that to any system. "Woo I added a GeForce4 to my Emachine, now it's a gaming PC!"

Just sayin. ;)

Originally posted by RichDiesal

I never quite understood how you could make a PC "just for games." You could use your computer for office functions, right? All a "gaming PC" really means is that you have a decent video card, and hell, you can add that to any system. "Woo I added a GeForce4 to my Emachine, now it's a gaming PC!"

Just sayin. ;)

true dat. alienware trys to pull of the same deal, cept their systems are too ####in expensive. cases are nice tho. :p

Originally posted by Emon

Gaming PCs are supposed to have the best of every kind of hardware in them. Just because they are designed for games, doesn't mean they won't kick ass at every thing else.

I wouldn't say that. What if I wanted to run a workstation-level CAD program? Most "gaming PCs" with "the best of every kind of hardware in them" wouldn't handle that as well as I'd want it to.

Many "gaming PCs" don't have the best of every kind of hardware in them - in fact, many of them just plain suck. The only criterion to have a "gaming PC" is to apparently put a semi-decent video card in it. And just a fast video card does not a good computer make.

Originally posted by Wes Marrakesh

i would define a gaming pc as:

large monitor.

lots of memory

great graphics card

ok sound card

fast processor

what else does it need that average ones don't have?

a decent operating system that can handle the hardware the way it was meant to. (i.e. Windows 2000/XP, and not that ####ty, memory flawed, crashing, piece of #### Win 98/ME).

Originally posted by Wes Marrakesh

i was talking hardware not software, but that helps:rolleyes:

if you don't include the software in your assessment as well then there is no guarantee that it is a good gaming machine really. so hardware has all these advantages and whatnot, but if the software can't use those advantages then your system will not be "great".

Archived