Home

Specs of your machine.....

SunBurN

"I wouldn't say that. What if I wanted to run a workstation-level CAD program? Most "gaming PCs" with "the best of every kind of hardware in them" wouldn't handle that as well as I'd want it to. "

Actually Rich, I'm the IT Manager for an Architectural firm and the specs for my machine are the same specs for the ones I buy for the office and although they're great gaming machines, they work extremely well for ACad 2002 ADT 3.3, formz, 3DstudioVis, and Accurender. I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just giving you an example of how these "gaming machines" perform very well in the workplace, as well as for gaming.

SunBurN

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So after looking over this thread, it looks like ppl with slower machines are either too embarrased or ashamed to post here, or simply do not frequent this forum and everyone that is on this forum has kick ass machines!! I guess I don't have to make any maps with slow machines in mind then :)

I may make two versions, one for slower machines, and one a bit more detailed and larger for faster machines

yeah, that could work... "sp episode" for slow-mid machines, then "sp episode directors cut" for high-end systems :p

So after looking over this thread, it looks like ppl with slower machines are either too embarrased or ashamed to post here, or simply do not frequent this forum and everyone that is on this forum has kick ass machines!! I guess I don't have to make any maps with slow machines in mind then

with my new card being able to play JO on my compaq, i got a low-end system to test my maps on :)

anyway, i think if a map is made efficiently, even low-end users shouldnt have too much trouble

Originally posted by RichDiesal

I wouldn't say that. What if I wanted to run a workstation-level CAD program? Most "gaming PCs" with "the best of every kind of hardware in them" wouldn't handle that as well as I'd want it to.

Many "gaming PCs" don't have the best of every kind of hardware in them - in fact, many of them just plain suck. The only criterion to have a "gaming PC" is to apparently put a semi-decent video card in it. And just a fast video card does not a good computer make.

What I meant was a good gaming machine should have the best of every kind of hardware for gaming. If you wanted a CAD machine you could take an Alienware, remove the sound stuff, replace the GF4 with a Quadro 4, and there you have it, a CAD machine. All the other stuff can still be used for CAD.

Well, for me there's no "Gaming only-PC" anyway: go buy a PS2/Xbox/whateva when you want gaming only. And then start wondering why Radiant doesn't work :p

No, for me people who buy top notch hardware are either way to rich, or (what is the case with me) need the PC to compile, calculate, ..., faster. I mean I'm sorry, but I'm just not in the mood to map 4 hours (or even less) a day just because my PC needs the rest for compiling.

But whatever- nice side-effect is that games feel fluent again. Now I only have to get it working :D

Well, for me there's no "Gaming only-PC" anyway: go buy a PS2/Xbox/whateva when you want gaming only. And then start wondering why Radiant doesn't work

yeah totally; hehe i dont really like when console and pc games crossover; i mean i love GTA3, and MoH is cool, but they still lack things;

yeah anyway the great thing about PCs is they arent really specialized; they can easily be adapted to other things if needed; but usually, you can do everything at nominal performance, with a stock machine

i got a dell system too and im happy with it :D but i got a sux0r3d system tho :(

-black n grey dell casing :D

-p4 1.8ghz processor

-256mb ddr ram (if im not mistaken)

-64mb geforce2 mx 400 (this dang card is bogging my system down!:mad:)

-48x Lite-on LTN486 cd-rom

-hp cd-writer cd12 series. the speed is something like 32x read 24x write and 8x or 16x rewrite

-40gb hdd

-sb live! value

-win xp home ed

-gtk radiant 1.2.9 :/ (lazy to get 1.2.10 :D)

and my system cost a round US$1000

Well, SunBurN, as one may have already read between the lines that this "showing off" thread seems to be populated only by hardcore computer users, maybe all of them hardcore editors of JO. I wouldn't dare make any real deductions of the large mass of people out there playing the levels. And I'm tempted to say that most editors are the more pleased, the more people appreciate their hard work with Radiant.

What am I whining here? Make the best you can. If I can't play it, it's my problem. You can be sure that those who can are all the more impressed.

Abit KT7A

AMD ATHLON 1GHz

512 Mb PC133

GAINWARD GF4 TI-4200

Maxtor 60Gb 7200 rpm

Logitech Dual Optical USB

Soundblaster LIVE! VE

Win XP Professional

My system aproximitaly.

800mhz Duron.

128 megs or RAM

GeForce2 GTS 32meg DDR

Windows 98

Crappy Integrated Sound (ok so that isnt a brand but it should be)

Asus A7V133 Motherboard

I have a pretty good 16 inch viewable ViewSonic monitor.

o yeh and a cable modem.

Gona need an upgrade soon...starting to save for it.

Originally posted by RichDiesal

Many "gaming PCs" don't have the best of every kind of hardware in them - in fact, many of them just plain suck. The only criterion to have a "gaming PC" is to apparently put a semi-decent video card in it. And just a fast video card does not a good computer make.

I love those Comp USA or Best Buy flyer that advertise something as

a PC 'Great for Gaming" and its just off the shelf stuff with only a GeForce 2 at best. :rofl:

Main rig:

AthlonXP 1800+ (not OC'ed yet, still looking for a waterblock)

PNY GeForce4 4400 at 300/650

Allied 400w PSU

8KHA+ KT266A chipset

512mb of Crucial PC2100 DDR

Altec Lansing speakers

Microsoft Intellimouse Optical

SB Live! Value

Earthlink DSL

Win2k Pro with SP2

19" CTX monitor (dont know the model number)

Arkua 7528 HSF (getting water cooling soon :p )

2 Enermax 80mm speed adjustable fans

60gb 5400 RPM :( Maxtor

Second rig:

Athlon T-Bird 1.2ghz

Abit Geforce 3 Ti200 Siluro (didnt OC it yet, no real need to since I use it mainly for browsing the net while playing games) Crystal Orb'd with AS2

ECS K7S5A

Kingmax 400w PSU

256mb SDRAM :(

some crappy speakers (no bass :( )

some crappy mouse (ball)

onboard sound

5400 :( RPM 20gb Maxtor HDD

Volcano 5 (totally sucks)

Since this is the pimpage thread :

Athlon 1600+ XP

1024MB RAM

200 GiG HD (3 HD's)

GeForce 4

Chiefteck Dragon Full Tower Case

5 Ultra-Low Noise Fans (Papst)

Soundblaster Audigy

Creative DTI3500 Dolby Digital 5.1 / EAX

19" monitor

17" monitor

(dual head on gf4)

Perfect for mapping : 2DView on 19", textures and 3D View

on 17"

Originally posted by UniKorn

Since this is the pimpage thread :

Athlon 1600+ XP

1024MB RAM

200 GiG HD (3 HD's)

GeForce 4

Chiefteck Dragon Full Tower Case

5 Ultra-Low Noise Fans (Papst)

Soundblaster Audigy

Creative DTI3500 Dolby Digital 5.1 / EAX

19" monitor

17" monitor

(dual head on gf4)

Perfect for mapping : 2DView on 19", textures and 3D View

on 17"

very nice Unikorn! :p

Well, SunBurN, as one may have already read between the lines that this "showing off" thread seems to be populated only by hardcore computer users, maybe all of them hardcore editors of JO. I wouldn't dare make any real deductions of the large mass of people out there playing the levels. And I'm tempted to say that most editors are the more pleased, the more people appreciate their hard work with Radiant.

What am I whining here? Make the best you can. If I can't play it, it's my problem. You can be sure that those who can are all the more impressed.

Well what I was thinking was that I may release a "smaller" version of my map for slower machines (duel/ffa saber only) and then a full version (duel/ffa/teamffa/ctf) for higher end systems and bandwidth. But you're right, I'm sure most ppl here who have the rockin systems here don't comprise the majority of players out there in terms of system specs. Anyway, thanks everyone for your input.

Some video cards come with dualhead (meaning 2 monitor ports in the back) so you can plug two monitors into 1 computer. Or you can have 2 video cards in your computer so each monitor gets its own video card. Mind you, you only have 1 AGP slot so if you do the dual video cards method you'll eaither have to do one of the following: 1 AGP and 1 PCI or 2 PCI, whichever goes..

well when I tried out Duel head with 2 monitors and one agp video card, it basically doubled the size of my desktop so an opened window could be dragged across to the other monitor...but it got annoying after awhile because the error messages would pop up directly in the middle of the desktop (spit in half between the two monitors) so I went back to just one monitor.

what I mean is, with 2 monitors on one computer would it just split the screen to fit on both monitors, or would you be able to like, play a game on one monitor and have a web browser or another application running on the other monitor. If it just splits the screen, I would hate that, it'd be very annoying.

sorry if I sound like an idiot but, here's another question.

I happen to have an extra monitor and graphics card. Would all I have to do is plugin the extra card and monitor, or does it require any special software for this. Also how would you switch between the 2 monitors. I mean if i'm using the keyboard and mouse to play a game on one monitor and I want to pause for a minute to check something out online on the other monitor, how would the keyboard and mouse know to be applied to the other monitor instead of the game now.

Damn I feel like a big ol NOOB right now!!

Archived