Home

Weaponry

Thew Rydur

Originally posted by YourGod

i 4get where - but i read sumwhere that dual weapons will be an elite skill learned by soldiers/fighters involved in ranged weapons...& i highly doubt there will be dual sabres or sabre/blaster combos...it would require such an indepth work on choreography of the player skeletons & whatnot that the dual sabre & sabre/blaster could be an individual fighting game all in its own.

not really, it would only require the task of animating the 2nd

set of weapon animations, animating the other hand to shoot

or swing while the other one does.

Originally posted by YourGod

i 4get where - but i read sumwhere that dual weapons will be an elite skill learned by soldiers/fighters involved in ranged weapons...& i highly doubt there will be dual sabres or sabre/blaster combos...it would require such an indepth work on choreography of the player skeletons & whatnot that the dual sabre & sabre/blaster could be an individual fighting game all in its own.

Don’t dismiss this to fast. if any one has played JK2 you will remember when ever fighting another person with a saber all the moves were choreographed together (ex: the sabers can clash and such) if it is the same in this game and you have some one that can block with 2 sabers and some one that can swing with 2 sabers it gets complicated. as far as the programming I don’t think it would be any problem to make you duel wield a blaster or even a blaster (ranged weapons are easy to program all you have to do is first check if the delay on the weapon is met, then check to see if you hit the target, then check to see how much damage the hit did, and then play the animation. No big deal) and a saber but I really don’t think you will ever see dual sabers in SWG. Not that its to complicated to program this either its just the animations get to hard to choreograph. All the possible attack / defend combinations would get to complicated to make it worth while, I mean how many Jedi do you know that dual wield light sabers? Name 2 and I will be impressed.

No Jedi i can recall used 2 sabers at once..

but there WERE a bunch a Fallen Jedi that did and even a sith used it once...althought i cant quite seem to remember which comic/story those were in...

But ya all the different blocking/parrying out-comes are ENDLESS and it might be kinda hard to program them all into the first release...

aw god i gtg!! DOGMA IS ON!!!

Well Anakin used two at once. He didn't normally do this but he had the skill to. Qui-Gon's fallen apprentice Xanatos used two sabers at once also, while dueling Qui-Gon. I was looking at a recent comic book in which Aurra Sing dual wielded. I don't think any Jedi actually had two sabres, but I think most would be able to use two if they needed two.

Originally posted by Thew Rydur

Well Anakin used two at once. He didn't normally do this but he had the skill to. Qui-Gon's fallen apprentice Xanatos used two sabers at once also, while dueling Qui-Gon. I was looking at a recent comic book in which Aurra Sing dual wielded. I don't think any Jedi actually had two sabres, but I think most would be able to use two if they needed two.

That is true but I was talking more about Jedi who have this as their primary attack style. The double bladed saber is more common than this and we all know how rare that is (probably because the rarity of the crystal to make it but still its rare)

:syoda:

Originally posted by Eldon Nitcellok

That is true but I was talking more about Jedi who have this as their primary attack style. The double bladed saber is more common than this and we all know how rare that is (probably because the rarity of the crystal to make it but still its rare)

:syoda:

The rarity of the crystal has nothing to do with it. Double-bladed sabers are mearly to seperate sabers joined. This way the blades can be used selectively. It would probably be possible to construct one using only a single crystal, though not very practical.

ok i found it, well sort of.... its not very clear and this may only pertain to the Sith.

"As the Jedi had not faced the Sith in almost two millennia, lightsaber dueling had become a lost art. To focus their training and their skill, Jedi still partake in practice duels and sparring contests, but to face an actual saber-wielding opponent was not something any Jedi expected before the Naboo crisis. In the past, the double-ended lightsaber was reserved only for training purposes.

Unlike the Jedi, who use natural crystals mined from such worlds as Ossus in the Adega system, the Sith prefer synthetic crystals to generate their lightsaber blades. While the crystals are being forged in a blazing furnace, it is not uncommon for a Sith to reach out with the Force and manipulate the process, focusing his hatred for the Jedi to increase the potency of the crystals.

Millennia ago, another Sith Lord, Exar Kun, fashioned a modified lightsaber with two blades. During the events of the Great Sith War, Kun modified his existing weapon to increase its lethality. Customized controls allowed him to extend the length of each blade from half a meter to one and a half meters.

"

I found this info at :http://www.starwars.com/

It would probably be possible to construct one using only a single crystal, though not very practical.

I don't think you could construct a double saber with only a single crystal. It just isn't possible. One powersource perhaps, but not with a single crystal. You'd need a minimum of 2 crystals in order for it to work, one on each side of the powersource. Otherwise it wouldn't be a double bladed lightsaber. :)

well, i'm thiking that if you had a wide saber you could have a crystal that diffracted 2 ways with the power souce off to the side, thoug hit would be quite impractical:

I  (power and other stuff)

well, boc (really a dark jedi, but oh well) had 2 lightsabers and used both of them at the same time...

Well Ewok, thats what i was saying... not ACTUAL jedi other than a Fallen Jedi has used dual sabers as their main wpn.

True Anakin and Xanatos DID use dual sabers but they didnt use it all the time =)

i'm sure you will be able to use double blasters, but it will require a skill and until thats high enough your accuracy will be crap. They also said you can train to use a double saber (like mauls, i doubt a style like anakins when fighting dooku will be incorporated) it will just be EXTREMELY tough.

Originally posted by <|WoV|>Shade

Well Ewok, thats what i was saying... not ACTUAL jedi other than a Fallen Jedi has used dual sabers as their main wpn.

True Anakin and Xanatos DID use dual sabers but they didnt use it all the time =)

well i'm sure that at least one out of the thousnad of OR jedi used a double saber techique, how about that jedi in the comic 'Pizza Hutt' he used 2 sabers :D and dekman, no one said that using double weapons would be easy...

I think the choice of weapons is more act of concern of your weakest member than strict rules or something.

Padawan / Jedi in training = rankings into thousands with skill range from beginner to master. obviosuly a novice would kill himself with 2 blades, hence the "accepted norm of one'

Jadi Knight / Master = few hundred (?) - Obviously more skilled and capable of learning dual sword techniques.

Jedi master = 100 or less? - Liekly more than capable of weilding a dual saber, but have to think of the lesser skilled & impetuous Jedi who would kill or maim themselves trying to imitate their betters.

Dark Jedi - Very few. Generally unconcerned with the well being of another. Instead of worrying about the less skilled, they are weeded out by elimination. The dual/double saber is the more advanced, and dangerous, but more likely of overwhelming a lesser skilled opponent. The most skilled survice by elimination, the lesser skilled never make it to "the big show".

It's even the same with guns to a degree. While it's possible to be a master markman with 2 guns at once, most simply stop at one because it's more practical. If you are a BA Action Super Hero, learning 2 might be important, but how many BA Action Super Heroes are their compared to the normal population of gun owners?

Note: this comparison does not work with shooting your gun sideways.. that's just a pop culture phenominon.

• 4 weeks later...

Rereading this again I thought of some things..

As far as dual weapons go..

Anarchy Online was able to implement the dual weapon system very easily. And they essentially did it by having each arm act on its own. It worked with 1 gun, 2 guns, gun/melee, 2 melee & 1 melee. It was not hard or difficult at all to do.. there were just some weapons that required 2 hands. If you have unique full body animations for 1 hand weapons, that may require more work to do.

Now a mixed melee/gun weapon, that would be a bit diffucult unless it was activated by range.

Target is > X distance it's in gun mode, < X it's in melee mode. Then you wouldn't have to create new unique animations, it's just a matter of finding a good number for X.

Archived