Home

The Monthly Fee

Arkum

Will the monthly fee sway your decision to buy SWG: An Empire Divided?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Will the monthly fee sway your decision to buy SWG: An Empire Divided?

• I\'m still going to buy it!!
    • I\'m not going to buy it!!
    • It depends on the cost
    • There\'s a monthly fee??!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i also thought it kind of worked like diablo 2, where you would put skills into the different trees that you liked, and new trees would unlock after you became good at something. And then if you wanted to completely change proffessions or something, becasue there is a limit on skill points, you could take points of certain skills, but you wouldn't have a stockpile of those skills to place elswhere. You need to earn them back again.

There's a fee because

A) MMORPGs are about ten times as expensive to create as a 'regular' game.

B) The server parks are not for free. Neither is the bandwidht that the company needs to buy to keep the game online.

C) The customer service is not working as charity,

and

D) neither are the GM's (Game Masters) or the development team that continuosly patch the game and add new content.

So MMORPGs are extremely expensive things. It often takes 2-3 years before the company breaks even, if it ever happens. That's why there's a fee. The fee is usually 9-15 US$.

Just had a nasty thought...

I currently pay 22.99 (english pounds) for my ADSL connection per month.

SWG will cost around a tenner a month (judging from the US rate for previous MMORPGS)

The Highlander MMORPG is slated for late 2003, so that's another tenner a month...

thats 42.99 a month, or 515.88 for a year...

When you add in other gaming costs, such as hardware and new games, I'll probably spend a grand a year on gaming (thats $1500 US or $2800 AUS) from 2003 onwards...

For comparison I spend about 400 quid a year on Scuba diving.

Gaming is becoming a very expensive hobby...

Archived