Home

elevators and bots

wedge2211

I want to make an elevator that starts at the bottom, goes up when someone gets on at the bottom, and goes up when someone comes near the shaft at the top to pick them up and go down with them. So, I figured func_plat was the way to go. When I get on the plat at the bottom, it goes up, but it then STAYS up until I get off, and when I come back at the top, the plat stays at the bottom. I'm sure this is exaclty how func_plats are supposed to work, but I want it to come up to the top when I'm at the top. I tried putting a trigger at the top that triggered the plat, but then the plat ONLY came to the top when I stood in the trigger and if I moved out of the trigger, the elevator would stop wherever it was and go back down. So what's the best way to make an elevator? While I'm at it, how 'bout a basic scripting tutorial?

Also, I want to make a FFA/CTF/TFFA map have bot support, and I can't find any tutorials on that. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

I'd like an answer for this one too Wedge2211! I've tried a number of scenarios, such as using two triggers, one at the bottom and one at the top with the actual func_plat covered by a brush so that it cannot be activated directly. However, the problem ended up being that you needed a delay before your trigger would activate the top plat otherwise it would go down before you could get on it. So, in short, we need help here! :)

As for bot routing, there is link to a tutorial/instructions

here .

Good luck!

• 1 year later...

Maybe its very, very and VERY late for this but there is a solution to that, and is as follow:

1- make a normal func_plat. And put the key delay and the value 2000 or 1500.

2-make a big cube brush with the trigger texture( make it at the top if your elevator start in the bottom, or if your elevator starts at the top you you will have to put it in the bottom)

3-then select it and make it trigger_multiple

4-then make a horizontal clip to the trigger, so you will obtain 2 trigger and if you select anyone, both will be selected.

5-so select one and when the two triggers are selected, deselect one, take one of them to the opossite side of the elevatorshaft and make it smaller I mean put the viex in XY and make it less bigger, so when the player gets inside the elevator the trigger will be activate, the other trigger, the other trigger, the bigger one are going to be more bigger, it have to sorruond more area out of the elevator, so when the player came to this trigger, this trigger will call the elevator.

6-then select one of the triggers ( dont fotget that the two triggers will be selected so deselect one, i recomend the trigger that is near to the elevator) and select the elevator and press crtl K to target the trigger to the elevator.

7-the select the trigger and press "N" to bring the properties menus and put the key wait and the value 7. (the more height more value to the key wait)

And thats all, hope that this still could help.

Note: the height of the elevator of my solution is 392.

Archived