Home

hamster caught speeding on prom

Young David

A hot rod hamster caused quite a stir when he was caught racing along the promenade – in his dragster car.

The renegade rodent sent day-trippers scurrying for cover with his high-speed antics on the seafront at Cleveleys.

But like all dangerous drivers, Speedy was soon in the hands of the law and is now cooling off at a Fylde animal sanctuary where he has been nick-named Speedy.

PC Quentin Allen said there was amazement when the flying furball was handed in at Cleveleys police station.

The police log records: "A member of the public has handed in a hamster in a hot rod racing car."

PC Allen said: "It was a proper toy racing car with a hamster wheel in the middle and as the hamster runs it operates the car.

"You can just imagine a nice, sunny day on Cleveleys Prom, eating your chips and then this thing goes whizzing past.

He added: "It was quite amusing in here because whenever we tried to put Speedy down on the front desk he kept whizzing off trying to escape.

"It is the strangest thing I've dealt with in Cleveleys."

The bemused bobbies handed the hamster over to Wadsworth Veterinary Surgery, North Shore.

Speedy was then transferred to the Fylde branch of the RSPCA in Fleetwood, and then to the "high-security" Charnwood House Boarding Kennels in Marton.

Fylde RSPCA secretary Margaret Bysterbosch said: "I have never heard of anything like this in 40 years in the organisation.

"I have seen everything from snakes to seals to lion cubs, but never a hamster bowling along the Promenade in a racing car!"

But she added: "It might seem amusing but it would not have been for the poor little soul if he hadn't been picked up. People should supervise their pets more closely."

Nancy Williams, from Charnwood House, gave Speedy his nickname when the hamster and his hot rod arrived with them on Monday.

She said: "He is a good hamster, he just goes a bit mad when he is behind the wheel. The vets said he was absolutely worn out when he got in – he must have gone for miles."

"We think somebody must have been playing with him outside and they have forgotten about him and he has just taken off."

Source

Archived