Home

Gung Fu Mod for JK2

Swiftblue

Heya, I am a 3d Modeller/Animater, and I am starting a mod, possibly Total Conversion, to JK2. This is Multiplayer expierence mainly, but single player is possible.

I am going to turn it into a complete Gung Fu expierence, focusing on realism mainly.

It will feature a new dammage/stamina system, revamped interaction between two players *grappling, grabing, catching punches, tripping....* new weapons and ways to use them < few to no projectiles>

The new dammage system wont involve armor or health, rather, it will focus on stamina, bones/vitals. Get too low on stamina, you fight slower, block less, and are more likely to be beaten up, if you run out of stamina you go unconcious. Stamina replenishes itself, but Bones and Vitals dont fix themselves, if your throat is cut or your neck is snapped, or your peirced through the stomach with a Chinese Long Sword, your dead. If your arm is broken , you can't use that arm, if your legs are broken, your as good as dead.

The new interactiong will orient the game to feel like your really scrapin it using good old North Shaolin, or Jeet Kune Do, or whatever you like...

Along with different gameplay, it will feature a few new multiplayer modes in the spirit of Gung Fu.

One of them I plan on making are:

Protect the Object, 2 teams, one team tries to take the very expensive Object to the touchdown area, the other is trying to break the Object for some reason... Story based, and fun. The protecting team uses gung fu to balance, toss, catch, dodge, and fight to the touchdown area, while the other trys to beat you up and break it.

I have ideas for a new teambased class system, but it is quiet complicated, and I couldn't code it for the life of me.

But heres where I start getting serious. I am looking for people who wish to join me making this, I can only do so much as a Modeller and Animator.

I am looking for 2 Expierenced Coders, who can make the code and engine dance for them.

Looking for a sound techie, Good mappers, willing to take time and effort to make everything FEEL right.

another modeller, and possibly more, we shall see.

If you are interested in a position and are qualified and willing to work hard on this with me, e mail me at derek_mcghie@hotmail.com . When get a team together we can start, ground zero.

If you just think this sounds cool, feel free to reply in this thread, but dont send me blind e mail saying, ' this is cool, but are you gonna have this,' because baby, I know what I am doing, and I will fill you in as it gets done, and what I plan to add from there.

I know there are some talented people out there, and I wouldn't mind borrowing some of their time to make this Project, and I don't think they would mind slapping their own names on this project as well, so its a good deal for both of us. If this is pulled off right, baby, its gonna be it!

Derek Mcghie

3d 'Artist'

The "GungFu" Project

3d Studio Max 4, Maya

No custom animations were needed for the jetpack mod.

The coding needed to make a player move through the air really has nothing to do with animations at all in fact...

It is true - custom animations are practically impossible to implement unless (or until :) ) LucasArts release some more info to us developers. (Although you seem pretty confident about your plans - do you know something the rest of us don't...?!)

Hence, our mod is currently being made on the basis we can't do custom animations, but were still making contingency plans in the hope that we will be able to eventually.

You can make new animation easy, implementing into the game will be a different story until Developers give us what we need, and they will, eventually....

It will happen, have faith.

Its a Good business move, itsa simple fact, the more of a mod community, the more longer the game is played, the more it is bought... Look at half life, I have friend still buying and playing it, an telling their friends bout it... Not to mention all the expansion packs, mod communitys, stand alones...

Quake 3 as well, and Unreal Tournament, and UnrealTournament 2003 has mods ALREADY prepared to port to them.

LucasArts will follow suite.

The models still can be made an animated. Putting it into JK2 is a different story until LucasArts release some more info to us developers to feast upon.

It will happen...

And hell, if it doesn't, I will just move on to Unreal Tournie 2003 and make the mod there. Depends really.

Gung Fu is Gung Fu, you wouldn't know what Black Tiger Steals Heart is if your life depended on it, followed by Happy Bird Hops On One Foot...

ok, for someone who claims to spell things how they are pronounced, I just had to do this.

"LucasArts will follow suite. "

I guess you really mean LucasArts will follow suit.

Unless of course, you pronounce "soot" as "sweet". But then again, you knew that didn't you?

Oops! I think I made my point.

Sue me, I am still practicing the language.

Gung Fu I understand, and you "corrected" me on it, however your are wrong in that case. On the other hand, you were right about suite to suit...

Now what I want to understand is what this has to do with the topic, topic here is Gung Fu mod.

I just looking for another modeller/animator and a good sound guy, I got ahold of some coders now.

==Coders==

Lowjack_1999

AngocoS

:cool:ANYWAY your mod sounds like a good idea. I'm a big fan of hand-to-hand (movies, games and real life). I'm assuming that you've tried the Kung-Fu mod for Max Panye?

Are you planning any grappling? It... should be possible using the Code for saber locks... you'd just need decent 'sticky hands' animations.

-Chrono_MOT-, calm down please.

Not all people on this boards are from countries where English is the officially spoken language. They are allowed to make mistakes.

As of now, if this borderline harassment continues, I will have to lock this topic.

In general, Kung Fu is a label used to describe any Martial Art that comes from China. It is the generic name for literally hundreds of individual Chinese fighting arts, both "internal" and "external," ancient and of relatively recent invention.

The words "Kung Fu" can be literally translated as "skill from effort". It can be used to describe anything that requires a person to invest both time and effort into training to become skillful. In these terms, a chef, artist, musician or computer programmer can all be said to have good "kung fu".

It is said that the term "Kung Fu" gained widespread use in reference to Chinese Martial Arts during the influx of Chinese immegrants to the United States during the 1800s. An alternate spelling, "Gung Fu," was made popular by the late Bruce Lee during the 1970's. Lee's spelling is actually the most accurate, as the pronunciation is closer to the hard "G" sound of the English "good" or "gong" than the sharp "K" of "king" or "kong."

You can't get to wrapped up in the right spelling since there really aren't enough letters to describe the sounds that come out of Chinese mouths.

Plus with a the dialect variations, those sounds aren't even consistent.

The UN agreed on using modern pinyin as the 'standard' but it was designed for the Russian alphabet so it doesn't work very well with ours - thus 'Q' sounds like 'CH' and 'ZH' sounds like 'J'.

Wushu means "Martial Arts," and is the original term for Chinese systems of self defense. However, Modern Wushu is a gymnastics-oriented sport that has lost the fighting applications, and will be featured in the 2008 olympics.

So, before you start criticizing someone, make sure you know what you are talking about.

Archived