Home

Lando's Luck (riddle)

Young David

During their stay on Bespin, Han, Leia and Chewie had to pay for their room. Yep, Lando might be a friend ... but hey, he had a business to run. 3PO could stay for free tough. Han, Leia and Chewie had to pay 30 credits, each payed 10 credits.

Later that day Lando felt a bit sorry and decided that 25 credits would be enough. But because 5 is hard to split, he gave each of them 1 credit and the other 2 credits disappeard in his pocket.

So actually, they all payed 9 credits. 3 x 9 is 27. 27 plus Lando's 2 credits in 29.

Where did that last credit go?

(post the answer in spoiler tags [ spoiler ] if you want others to give an opportunity to think for themselfs)

Hint:

The credit is not really lost, there's just a mistake in my riddle, can you find it?

Got it. Easy enough...

The way the riddle is explained is wrong. Lando's two credits came from the 27 credits that Han, Lando and Chewie gave (9x3). So if you remove Lando's 2 credits, it makes 25 (27 - 2 = 25), which is the number of credits in Bespin's bank.

Lemme explain it in another way. Han, Leia and Chewie come to Bespin. They pay 10 credits each to Bespin's bank. That makes 30. Lando, feeling a bit guilty, decides that 30 is too much. He takes away five credits from the bank. The bank has now 25 credits. As mentionned above, five credits can't be split in three. So Lando gives one credit to each persons and keeps two for himself. So, add up Han's, Leia's, Chewie's, Lando's and the bank's credits and it still makes 30. 1+1+1+2+25 = 30.

this reminded me of an Abbott & Costello routine I saw once:

Abbott: Do me a favor, loan me $50.

Costello: Bud, I can’t. I can’t loan you $50.

Abbott: Oh, yes, ya can.

Costello: No, I can’t. All I got is $40.

Abbott: All right, give me the $40 and you’ll owe me 10

Costello: Ok, I’ll owe you 10.

Abbott: That’s right.

Costello: How come I owe you 10?

Abbott: How much did I ask for?

Costello: 50

Abbott: How much did you give me?

Costello: 40.

Abbott: So you owe me $10.

Costello: That’s right. (Pause) But you owe me 40.

Abbott: Don’t change the subject.

Costello: I’m not changing the subject; you’re trying to change my finances. Come on, Abbott give me my $40.

Abbott: All right, there’s your $40, now give me the 10 you owe me.

Costello: I’m paying you on account.

Abbott: On account?

Costello: On account I don’t know how I owe it to ya.

Abbott: That’s the way you feel about it, that’s the last time I ask you for a loan of $50.

Costello: But how can I loan ya $50, now. All I got is 30.

Abbott: Well, give me the 30 and you’ll owe me 20.

Costello: Ok. This is getting worse all the time. (Look at audience) First I owe him 10, now I owe him 20.

Abbott: Well, why do you run yourself into debt?

Costello: I’m not running in, you’re pushing me!1

Abbott: I can’t help it if you can’t handle your finances. I do all right with my money.

Costello: And you do all right with my money too.

Abbott: Now I asked you for a loan of $50. You gave me 30, so you owe me 20. 20 and 30 is 50.

Costello: No. No. No. 25 and 25 is 50.

Abbott: All right, here’s your $30, now give me the 20 you owe me. Fine guy, won’t loan a pal $50.

Costello: How can I loan you 50, all I got now is 10?

Abbott: Wait a minute, to show you that I’m your pal, want to double that?

Costello: Go ahead (Gives Abbott 10 bill) See ya later.

Archived