Home

Euthanasia!

Riffage

Euthanasia (not "euphenasia", scabb) is, in fact, the act or practice of killing or permitting the death of hopelessly sick or injured individuals (as persons or domestic animals) in a relatively painless way for reasons of mercy. They need not "ask for it".

Remember Logan's Run?

Nice try Riffage, but you are trying with the wrong crowd. There is simply too much for the regular mojoians to think about. They are used to spam ... not thought. (mercatfat's response is evidence of that). Try asking "What is your favorite candy bar?" That's about as controversial as this group can handle. ;)

If a person with a terminal illness is suffering unbearable pain and wishes to end his or her life, is it wrong to help? Well, that's why euthanasia, the intentional termination of life at the explicit request of that person, has been a hotly debated and controversial subject. Is it right or wrong? Moral or immoral? Murder or mercy?

Since I am in favor of euthanasia I will start with why people are opposed to it. One reason is that they say it's immoral, since God gave you this life and you don't have the right to end it - only He does. Another argument is that many question whether an ill person is in a state of mind to understand or request to end his or her life. And some think a person's fate is fixed - that you are supposed to die at a certain time - and that you shouldn't interfere. The biggest reason I've heard is that some believe one is trying to play God by assisting another's death.

So, why are people in favor of euthanasia? I believe that if a person is in extreme pain and does not wish to continue living, he or she has the right to end it with or without assistance. These people are saying that they feel they do not deserve to suffer.

Others say it's murder to help someone kill themselves, even when they've given permission. But if you think about it, this really is no different from a "Do not resuscitate" order kept on file at a hospital so a person will not be revived if his or her heart stops. So, is that wrong also?

How do you know if someone was in a proper state of mind when requesting assistance? I think you would have to be sane to tell someone how and when you would like to die, and then ask for help to do it.

Many people worry that if we make euthanasia legal, people will go around killing others and claim the ill wanted them to. That is why explicit written consent is necessary.

One 1997 poll claimed that 57 percent of people are in favor of euthanasia with only 38 percent opposed. Another poll showed that 76 percent of the British, 81 percent of Australians, and 92 percent of the Dutch support legalization of euthanasia.

Even though I am strongly in favor of legalizing euthanasia, I do understand that there would be a few problems in euthanasia/ physician-assisted suicide, but they seem minor compared to the pain and suffering it could prevent.

Archived