Home

WIP: Carexa Station

wedge2211

http://wso.williams.edu/~jshoer/outcast.htm

Seven screenies and a radiant shot. This is my first public-release map for Outcast, and I'm focusing mainly on the level architecture now, so textures are NOT FINAL. Particularly the gray metal ones, in the end, most of the level will have the white ll_hull panelling. I've changed it quite a bit since those shots were taken, in particular ther topmost level is VERY NEARLY complete (so there's a third glass tube in the tube-shot, on the upper level), there are some neat pipes and things, other goodies. It's a fairly large symmetrical CTF-style map, I plan on having FFA and TFFA support as well. Perhaps add JM and CTY with the lightsaber/ysalamiri in the middle "arena?" Although I'm not sure how to make an object (i.e., the ysalamiri) appear in only one game type. I hate picking up ysalamiris in FFAs. :) Also, Maybe I will snip out the center sphere for use as a duel map (just so you know, that whole big assembly in the middle does indeed rotate slowly, and you do die if you fall to the bottom).

This is mainly posted to show off the architecture...like I said, textures aren't final, neither is the skybox/playable-area fit.

~wedge

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200, 1.8 GHz, 256 RAM, 64mb nVidia GeForce 4. Yes, they have those for laptops. :D

I get fps around 80-90, naturally some areas are a little cleaner/messier than others. However, I've done things like enclose each glass area in it's own little skybox in order to reduce compile times for testing purposes. When I expand the skyboxes, you will be able to look out one window and into another somewhere else in the station, which I'm afraid is gonna kill fps...I'll let you know when I test it. Hopefully it will just make for a long compile time. <crosses fingers>

Just finished the top level, all this work so far has taken about a week, and the bottom level contains many parts that will be copied/reflected from the top, so I expect the bottom level will be done with by the weekend. then I'll just clean up the textures, fix the skyboxes, do a fullvis [extra] and add bot routing. Phew!

Whew... glass in space? I'd be scared beyond belief to be fighting with lightsabers and guns and explosions going off with nothing keeping me between living and breathing normally and being sucked out into the vacuum of space but a piece of glass (which does not stand up well to lightsabers/guns/explosions, I might add). Looks great though, nice CTF map.

Okay, I've been slowed down by homework (eh...haven't found a college work ethic yet...). BUT, the architecture is NEARLY COMPLETED!!! Textures still aren't quite the way I like them. I've played with the skyboxes, I have some great interior/exterior views lined up....

The web site I listed before has been updated with several new shots. (for those of you too lazy to scroll up, http://wso.williams.edu/~jshoer/outcast.htm ) Check them out!

One question...I have a spiral staircase, and I want to put clip brushes on it so the player doesn't go bouncy-bouncing his way up them (I hate that)...how the hell do I fit clip brushes to the slope and curvature of sprial stairs? I tried a bunch of different ways, I can't...get..it...to...work...! It's driving me nuts. Any suggestions?

quick update (and self-serving bump)--

Finished level architecture! I don''t have to put down another struct brush if I don't want to!!

This just leaves finalizing the textruing, finishing the lighting, adding details in some of the big empty rooms, and putting in all the powerups.

Archived